News   Jul 12, 2024
 892     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Against Transit City = Anti-transit?

No, I think he meant: No New Street-Cars = Anti-transit.

No matter which way you slice it, the streetcars need to be replaced if we want to improve transit. I don't understand why Smitherman would be against the plan.

Smitherman was on CBC radio a few minutes ago and his nose seems to be out of joint because he was not involved in announcing that Bombardier won the competition - though the competition was run by the TTC and they seemed to be pretty clear that they could not actually sign a contract without $$ from both Province and Feds. Lots of photo ops there, one would have thought.

A more serious problem he expressed was that, in his opinion, the City cannot decide on its priorities and everything can't be 'top' - the Provincial Government can't fund everything. This is a bit rich too because the subway extension to York was not a high City or TTC priority and they only went along with it because the Province (and eventually the Feds) gave them $$ for it. No doubt it will get sorted out as he did seem to agree that the TTC does need new streetcars for the existing lines. Politicians!

Smitherman was on CBC radio a few minutes ago and his nose seems to be out of joint because he was not involved in announcing that Bombardier won the competition - though the competition was run by the TTC and they seemed to be pretty clear that they could not actually sign a contract without $$ from both Province and Feds. Lots of photo ops there, one would have thought.

A more serious problem he expressed was that, in his opinion, the City cannot decide on its priorities and everything can't be 'top' - the Provincial Government can't fund everything. This is a bit rich too because the subway extension to York was not a high City or TTC priority and they only went along with it because the Province (and eventually the Feds) gave them $$ for it. No doubt it will get sorted out as he did seem to agree that the TTC does need new streetcars for the existing lines. Politicians!

Instead of bailing out an american company that nobody wants to buy their cars, they could have take some of the billions to fund more transit projects.

We have the funds...politicians have other strange priorities...

Transit Toronto http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/weblog/2009/04/30-streetcars.shtml has a link to a document sent to the Provincial and Federal Governments by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities last December. Item 392 is City of Toronto ON Replacement of Existing Streetcar Fleet with New Light Rail Vehicles Public Transit $656,000,000

Seems like advance notice and a top priority to me!

Should the city really expect the province to pay for the new streetcars? I found it surprising that the Transit City infrastructure costs were picked up 100% by the province. If the province had picked up 66% of the Eglinton LRT then the city would have had to pay $1.3 billion. The streetcar contract is for $1.2 billion. Why doesn't the city just pay for the streetcars and save its battles for Transit City and Union Station.

Agreed. If we start picking fights over transit project we might just wear out the province's patience. I don't know why the city can' t just budget $122 million a year for 10 years. Or an even better question is why they don't budget this stuff in advance so that we can run transit capitalization and replacement programs at sensible intervals. These streetcars have been in service for 30 years. Were we saving over 30 years, then the hit would have only been $ 40 million a year.

This whole situation makes me embarrassed to be an Ontarian. Politics and incompetence. Feigned ignorance. Ridiculous.

This whole situation makes me embarrassed to be an Ontarian. Politics and incompetence. Feigned ignorance. Ridiculous.
Yea, well, at least Dalton McGuinty hasn't defended his sexual habits, after being accused of rape, as responsible because he took a shower afterwards to wash of the AIDS. Now that is incompetence.

Yea, well, at least Dalton McGuinty hasn't defended his sexual habits, after being accused of rape, as responsible because he took a shower afterwards to wash of the AIDS. Now that is incompetence.

Oh, McGuinty's done worse in the shower
17172a.jpg

The City of Toronto only collects something like 5% of the taxes paid by its citizens. Is it completely crazy to think that the tax money we pay to the Provincial and Federal governments might go toward providing us with services we'd actually be able to use?

If the Provs and Feds are just going to make Toronto pay for vital services (like maintaining an existing transit network) itself, than Toronto should get a greater share of total tax revenues.

Something is wrong here, are you sure that includes Toronto property tax?:confused:

Assuming a single person with a $65,000 salary and a $350,000 house.

Toronto property tax: $2,321
Provincial education property tax: $1,003
Provincial income tax: $4,738
Federal income tax: $9,641

Lets say $20,000 of his disposable income ends up with sales tax (that could be low).

GST: $1,182
PST: $1,892
==============
Toronto: $2,321 (11.2%)
Ontario: $7,633 (36.7%)
Federal: $10,823 (52.1%)
==============
$20,777

So in this scenario it isn't 5% but if someone had higher income and more disposable income which is taxable it could easily be 5% for some people.

Back