News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Why does the door only open 3/4 of the way? Is the ramp narrower than the door and that is to sort of match the width of it so people don't drive off the side of it?

Oh jeez. I didn't realize it was that narrow.

That's one hell of a mechanism to shoehorn in there!

I don't know if it's that narrow. Those are the wide doors, not the narrow ones. Here's a picture that might give better perspective.

1297597122001_ORIGINAL.jpg

The last couple of Sundays I've noticed some of the new streetcars are running as 510 king cars the only problem is they announce it as a short turn and don't announce any other route info. I also have some video of the one I was on lopping around to king and back to Sapdian and the one that followed it.

The last couple of Sundays I've noticed some of the new streetcars are running as 510 king cars the only problem is they announce it as a short turn and don't announce any other route info.
The 510 has always run as a mix of cars terminating at Union and cars terminating at King. I don't understand your complaint. Does this have anything to do with the new streetcars?

The 510 has always run as a mix of cars terminating at Union and cars terminating at King. I don't understand your complaint. Does this have anything to do with the new streetcars?
Sure it does. The accessibility community is getting screw for lack of service with the new cars to/from Union.

If you use Presto like a lot of riders do these days, you have long wait for a car.

Line management is still missing in action, as you still are getting 2 cars in a row, not spread out.

Add the strollers folks to this mess as well people who have issues with stairs.

I have seen cars turning at QQ loop and depart after another just past it going north. Then it is one of the two playing follow the leader being short turn.

Is anyone seriously standing there waiting for a new streetcar instead of getting on the next available one just so they can tap their Presto card?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone seriously standing there waiting for a new streetcar instead of getting on the next available one just so they can tap their Presto card?
Yes they are to the point asking the CLRV drivers as to when one of the new cars going to show up as they only have the Presto card. In a few cases, drivers allow them on without paying.

The Presto is well used downtown both on the new cars as well the subway. Even Islington is heavy used.

My comment had more to do with the fact that all the streetcar announcement said was short turn,. Well the signs on the outside did say 510 sapdiaa short turn to king. The announcements didn't reflect that like they do when they turn at queens quay and sapdina

Given how quickly the door flies open, I'd think much of the time, if the outside blue button is pressed, the door would already be open already.

What happens then?

A light flashes on the dashboard telling the operator that the ramp has been requested. They will then close that door and go through the cycle as above.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A light flashes on the dashboard telling the operator that the ramp has been requested. They will then close that door and go through the cycle as above.
Oh! I'd expect then that will create confusion at the stop, and then someone will try and climb in with a stroller or cart anyway. This could get interesting.

I guess the most efficient thing to do would be to press the blue button on the inside. Kind of obvious for a wheelchair. Less obvious for a stroller or cart, where many will simply lift it up because it's faster.

The takeaway will be to simply avoid that door boarding.

My comment had more to do with the fact that all the streetcar announcement said was short turn,. Well the signs on the outside did say 510 sapdiaa short turn to king. The announcements didn't reflect that like they do when they turn at queens quay and sapdina

So the display is actually saying short turn, rather than just 510 to King, 510 to Queen's Quay or 510 to Union?

So the display is actually saying short turn, rather than just 510 to King, 510 to Queen's Quay or 510 to Union?
Exactly, that's what is says. Simply "510 Short Turn". Not nearly as useful as saying 510 King or something like that. You have to know that's where the short turn is. I think if it's turning at Queen's Quay it says "510 Queen's Quay".

Back