News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Now hold on here, I'm the one that doesn't want shag carpeting and velvet drapes inside our trains. And I'm a big fan of stainless steel, concrete, etc and these features you describe. Not to mention I've really grown to like architectural styles like Brutalism over the years. But I still think some of these things should be balanced with at least some warm colours/materials. Like take a look at the CN Tower. There's one very narrow red horizontal stripe on its main pod, and a couple near the top. Even though these would be considered very minor details to many, I think it adds significantly to its attractiveness and helps balance the sterility of the concrete and metal.

I leave that to the public art in the stations. Infrastructure - cold, durable, consistent, legible; art - adds personality, colour, vibrancy.

And yes, back to the new streetcars - one beef I have is the off-white cream colour scheme - you can already see dirty fingerprints all over, and it's only going to get worse. Another case of what looks good new dosen't look great used.

AoD

I leave that to the public art in the stations. Infrastructure - cold, durable, consistent, legible; art - adds personality, colour, vibrancy.

And yes, back to the new streetcars - one beef I have is the off-white cream colour scheme - you can already see dirty fingerprints all over, and it's only going to get worse. Another case of what looks good new dosen't look great used.

AoD

It's interesting that 4+ years in service, the interior of our Toronto Rockets don't look anywhere near as dirty as the LFLRVs (imo), even though they share the same colour scheme. In fact, I'd say the subway cars look pretty damn spiffy. Maybe the TTC just cleans the subway cars better.

Never thought I would be looking forward to a streetcar delivery as much as the next one....if only to sweep the flooring discussion under the rug ;)

You should just be glad that we didn't drag out the colour scheme discussion around the new cars and how the TTC went with lipstick red originally ;) And gawd, the new uniform... Let's just say, it's garish in a way Communist China would approve.

Rule 1 - never trust TTC on the matter of aesthetics, ever.

AoD

Last edited:
What a pitted if TTC could do this

In 2001 Bombardier got an order from Minneapolis for 24 29 meter Flexity Swift cars and were delivery by the end of 2003 with another 27 order in 2007.

2010, Siemens got a contract for 109 S70/Avanto at a cost of $3,297,714 us per car. There is an option for 45 more. All cars are duel end.

A tender has been issue for 27 cars with an option of 50 more.

Minneapolis could end up with a 3rd supplier based on this tender as well Bombardier getting their foot back into the market since the first order if they win it.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.ph...-launches-tender-for-27-lrvs.html?channel=526

What a pitted if TTC could do this

In 2001 Bombardier got an order from Minneapolis for 24 29 meter Flexity Swift cars and were delivery by the end of 2003 with another 27 order in 2007.

2010, Siemens got a contract for 109 S70/Avanto at a cost of $3,297,714 us per car. There is an option for 45 more. All cars are duel end.

A tender has been issue for 27 cars with an option of 50 more.

Minneapolis could end up with a 3rd supplier based on this tender as well Bombardier getting their foot back into the market since the first order if they win it.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.ph...-launches-tender-for-27-lrvs.html?channel=526

And how many of those vehicles/orders were for cars that were custom, and not off-the-shelf units?

Hint: the answer is less than one.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Minneapolis got vehicles that didn't have to fit to an existing legacy network. The network of tracks was built new to the vehicles existing specifications.

Toronto has to get vehicles (Bombardier Outlook) that had to be adjusted to conform to its existing legacy specifications (like curves and inclines), not the other way around. The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is being built to vehicles (Bombardier Freedom) specifications. The downtown tracks would be too tight and too steep for those vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan is a useful poster who contributes factual comments and opinions. You, on the other hand. were comparing the purchase and delivery time of an off-the-rack suit with a hand tailored one and your basis of comparison was clearly false. Nobody expected Bombardier to suddenly produce 204 streetcars built to fit on our legacy system but we DID expect them to do FAR better than they have and to comply with the agreed delivery schedule. I was strongly in favour of giving this major contract to a Canadian company but must say I will not be so convinced this is a good idea next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back