News   Jul 17, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 794     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

We have only four Flexity streetcars in revenue service at the moment. We lost one CLRV due to that bus and streetcar collision back in December. Because of the problems with the cold weather, buses have been used to supplement streetcar routes, such as the 504.

Luckily, I haven't had to use any 504 bus. However, should I see a 504 bus arriving at my stop, but I see a 504 streetcar following behind the 504 bus up the road, I would let the 504 bus go past me. Has anybody done the same? Or does anyone let a 504 streetcar go by to board a following 504 bus?
I use 504, and I've seen no bus substituting of 504 because of cold weather. I've seen it on 502 and 503, and I've heard about it on 511.

The 504 buses are because they had ramped up 504 service during all the construction that had been going on for the last couple of years, fully expecting that there would be enough new streetcars by now, that when they started running all the lines again, there would be enough streetcars. And you can see where that left us. Though that does make me wonder where some of the 504 ALRVs have gone ... but if you look at the May schedule, there's as many 504 buses running as current - so not cold related.

According to the gang on the Liberty Village Facebook group, the 504 buses have performed better than the streetcars along the same route.

According to the gang on the Liberty Village Facebook group, the 504 buses have performed better than the streetcars along the same route.

technically they might have validity in their claims. buses arent constrained to tracks so they can weave around traffic if required, not to mention they weigh much less so acceleration is better

technically they might have validity in their claims. buses arent constrained to tracks so they can weave around traffic if required, not to mention they weigh much less so acceleration is better

"weave around" on King? It doesn't seem like there'd be much room for that. Also I'm not sure if changing lanes a lot in traffic is really beneficial to speed.

I don't ride regularly but my experience on the 504 bus has pretty much been the same as the 504 streetcar, with the obvious differences (the bus is a bumpier ride etc). Either way, it gets you where you're going.

With the buses only running 5 stops east of Yonge, compared to the streetcars running 14 stops east of Yonge, then it's not surprising that those in the west have benefited.

I've seen some aggressive 504 drivers who are doing well. I've also seen others who have no idea how to get around a streetcar, and end up getting overtaken by streetcars at stops. An aggressive streetcar driver also does surprisingly well.

Buses only seem to be faster because of the bumper ride.

Nah, as Nfitz mentioned, they do stop less than the streetcar. They also do pass streetcars quite frequently. It's not a matter of seeming faster, because they actually are faster.

Nah, as Nfitz mentioned, they do stop less than the streetcar. They also do pass streetcars quite frequently. It's not a matter of seeming faster, because they actually are faster.
Some do ... especially if the road is emptier. When it's really busy, or there is a lot of parked cars, I've been in streetcars that have left buses in their dust.

Maybe they want this type of bus

Back