News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4405 is already dirty on the back window with a bunch of brown dirt.
In fact it is the same brown dirt that pretty much every CLRV has on it.
Since it is at the same place it makes me think it has something to do with the trolley pole - is that correct?

Since it is at the same place it makes me think it has something to do with the trolley pole - is that correct?

Can it be explained by the dirt/guck that gets everywhere in early spring?

Can it be explained by the dirt/guck that gets everywhere in early spring?
It's always under the trolley pole. Presumably splatter from when there is moisture on the line. Presumably the splatter pattern will change when they get rid of poles.

The 510 is, going to divert to Bathurst Station tonight, do if you want to ride a Flexity along Bathurst and College, tonight is a good time.

I suspect its the carbon dust that comes off the trolley pole carbon shoes used to make contact with the overhead. Given that these shoes needs replacing very frequently (I think in some cases its every 4 days) the wear and tear and associated carbon dust can quickly accumulate on the natural landing spot under the trolley pole (The back window). In combination with moisture I suspect this dust becomes "sticky" giving us our dirty windows which just need a good washing every now and again.

I sure hope there is a line management when this change takes place, as today Line management was missing in action to have all 4 cars at one end of the line with 2 CLRV's between them. There was over 30 minute gap between 4400 & 4405. Unless more cars are added to the line, 510 will be a disastrous zone until fully replace by buses in April because of lack of line management.

I found to door chimes on 4405 which I got to rider today twice for the first time is different for the last tone compare to the other cars.

The pole on 4405 was doing a lot of sparking compare to none one the others, than break-in time. Has a smoother ride also.

Drivers still seem to be opening all the doors than having riders doing it.

Not sure if there is fresh air being added to the car in movement, but felt like the AC was on from time to time on 4405 to reduce the heat on the car and it was nice.

As for delivery, my views haven't change at all.

I suspect its the carbon dust that comes off the trolley pole carbon shoes used to make contact with the overhead. Given that these shoes needs replacing very frequently (I think in some cases its every 4 days) the wear and tear and associated carbon dust can quickly accumulate on the natural landing spot under the trolley pole (The back window). In combination with moisture I suspect this dust becomes "sticky" giving us our dirty windows which just need a good washing every now and again.

That's exactly what it is.

And pantographs won't eliminate the problem, but simply move it to the centre of the car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It'll be dirty by this evening.

If one wants to show off any transit vehicle, best to do so in the morning, after the morning rush hours of course.

How often does the TTC clean their vehicle exterior? Especially in the winter time, there's so much dirt on the side of the bus that you can't even see out the window.

How often does the TTC clean their vehicle exterior? Especially in the winter time, there's so much dirt on the side of the bus that you can't even see out the window.

Buses are washed nightly, except during winter very cold weather. Streetcars and subway cars are washed weekly, except during very cold weather. Click on this link from 2010 for more information on vehicle cleaning.

Current Programs - Rail

Interior cleaning is divided into four categories:

1. Daily cleaning includes a sweep and dust, spot mop and graffiti removal, as required. All vehicles entering revenue service are subject to the daily clean process.
  2. Floor washing. All vehicles are spot mopped daily to address coffee or other liquid spills. Streetcars are completely floor washed every 14 days as resources permit.
  3. Minor cleaning involves interior cleaning of the windows, walls, doors, modesty panels, car ends, bulkheads, stanchions and hand rails. Floors are also scrubbed and gum deposits removed with a scraper. Minor cleaning is performed at approximately 22 day intervals for subway cars. Streetcars are not subject to the 22 day minor clean cycle. It was found that the appearance of the surface vehicles could be better sustained with more frequent floor washing and carrying out the minor cleaning every 70 days.
  4. Major cleaning involves a complete interior clean encompassing all minor clean activities as well as cleaning of the ceilings, operator cabs, advertising frames and the removal of stickers from the exterior. Major cleaning is carried out at approximately 73 day intervals for subway cars and yearly for streetcars.
Exterior cleaning or washing is performed every seven days for both subway and streetcar vehicles. This activity involves a complete automated body wash of the vehicle’s exterior at the carhouses using equipment very similar to that used to wash automobiles. During the winter when the temperature is very cold, operational problems arise from freezing water and the frequency of exterior washing is curtailed.

All subway cars receive an undercar wash twice a year. Streetcars receive an undercar wash once a year. The purpose of the undercar wash is to remove dirt and grease accumulations in order to facilitate the inspection and maintenance of the vehicle and reduce the potential for undercar fires.

In addition to the routine cleaning outlined above, seasonal programs are also carried out to specially clean various components. For example, in the fall, floor heaters are cleaned. In the summer, air conditioning vents as well as light fixtures and diffusers are cleaned.

Last edited:
Buses are washed nightly, except during winter very cold weather. Streetcars and subway cars are washed weekly, except during very cold weather.
That is certainly what is claimed, however I hadn't seen a bus I could see out of for so long, that when I was in one that I could the other day, it felt surreal.

Which makes me wonder what the TTC definition of very cold is ... below the freezing temperature of water perhaps? :)

When I was a kid, they didn't have the system which read & displayed the next stop automatically either. So if the bus was packed it was really tough to see where you were.

We have only four Flexity streetcars in revenue service at the moment. We lost one CLRV due to that bus and streetcar collision back in December. Because of the problems with the cold weather, buses have been used to supplement streetcar routes, such as the 504.

Luckily, I haven't had to use any 504 bus. However, should I see a 504 bus arriving at my stop, but I see a 504 streetcar following behind the 504 bus up the road, I would let the 504 bus go past me. Has anybody done the same? Or does anyone let a 504 streetcar go by to board a following 504 bus?

Back