News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The best thing about something like doing exclusive streetcar lanes on King would be that the improvement could happen soon. If you're building a tunnel or elevated or even using the GO tracks like SmartTrack it will likely take 7-15 years.

Also it minimizes one of the key disadvantages of rail vehicles: that they can't maneuver around obstacles. It's a much smaller disadvantage when cars can't enter the streetcar lane.

The best thing about something like doing exclusive streetcar lanes on King would be that the improvement could happen soon. If you're building a tunnel or elevated or even using the GO tracks like SmartTrack it will likely take 7-15 years.

Also it minimizes one of the key disadvantages of rail vehicles: that they can't maneuver around obstacles. It's a much smaller disadvantage when cars can't enter the streetcar lane.

I've always wondered if there are any streetcar lines in the world that have express/local service running on same route either by double tracking or with splits (so a vehicle can pull to the curb and let people out while another car passes it).

I always think during rush-hour it would be great to have express downtowners on the king and queen lines, since they fill up fairly quickly. I guess in theory the same service could be run via busses though.

Would cyclists still be allowed on King Street? I don't see the point making King St streetcar only. Banning cars is enough.

The original proposal doesn't call for bike lanes:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/streetcar-4103-11.gif

Obviously, the proposal would be amended if it were proposed again.

There's definitely room for bike lanes as this original document unwisely in my opinion wants to make a 4 lane street 3 lanes.

Rather than having that huge curb as a streetcar stop, you could have an island stop like on Spadina, St.Clair etc and have a 2 lane bike lane beside it, taking up what was originally a 4th street lane.

I've always wondered if there are any streetcar lines in the world that have express/local service running on same route either by double tracking or with splits (so a vehicle can pull to the curb and let people out while another car passes it).

The only express/local light rail line I'm aware of is on the Lyon tramway. The Rhônexpress airport express trams overtake the local T3 trams with passing tracks at stations such as at Meyzieu Gare pictured here.

640px-Tramway_de_Lyon_-_T3_-_Station_Meyzieu_gare_-.JPG

from Wikipedia

I'm not aware of any express/local light rail segments in mixed traffic.

Sorry about prolonging the off-topic tangent.

This isn't a sutible replacement for the Relief Line. They serve fundamentally different purposes.

Once the RL alignment is chosen, I'd like to see these streetcar lanes on whatever street wasn't chosen for RL (I'm presuming it will be either Queen or King). This will increase the efficiency of the road significantly, since our LRVs are capable of moving several times more people than private automobiles. Right now, the LRVs are often stuck behind automobiles, which reduces efficiency of the road.

This isn't a sutible replacement for the Relief Line. They serve fundamentally different purposes.

Once the RL alignment is chosen, I'd like to see these streetcar lanes on whatever street wasn't chosen for RL (I'm presuming it will be either Queen or King). This will increase the efficiency of the road significantly, since our LRVs are capable of moving several times more people than private automobiles. Right now, the LRVs are often stuck behind automobiles, which reduces efficiency of the road.

Sorry I meant that this King St design is a good solution for the short term until the DRL is actually built. Let's face it, DRL probably won't be opened for at last another 15-20 years, so we need something in the meantime.

There's definitely room for bike lanes as this original document unwisely in my opinion wants to make a 4 lane street 3 lanes.

Rather than having that huge curb as a streetcar stop, you could have an island stop like on Spadina, St.Clair etc and have a 2 lane bike lane beside it, taking up what was originally a 4th street lane.

I think the plan was to improve the pedestrian experience along King St. If you have walked on King from University all the way to Bathurst there is a general lack of sidewalk space.

The bike lobby always harps on the fact that bikes take up less room than cars and therefore should be given preference. The same is true for pedestrians. They take up a lot less room than bikes and should be given preference to bike access.

There will also be a bike route just north and just south of King West (Wellington once the redevelopment is done and Richmond/Adelaide). No need for a 3rd dedicated bike route in the west side until the demand justifies it (and that would probably be along Front with an off-road access along the tracks to Liberty Village). Oh no...the horror....I have to bike 1 block to get to a bike lane!

The original proposal doesn't call for bike lanes:

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/streetcar-4103-11.gif

Obviously, the proposal would be amended if it were proposed again.

Streetcar stops should be on the far side of intersections for signal priority. If you build dedicated ROW for streetcars, they should have signal priority, right?

Also, looking at that, I don't see why remove bikes. As mentioned, bikes can go to the right of streetcar stopsand use the delivery access lanes.

Streetcar stops should be on the far side of intersections for signal priority.
After 20+ years of seeing that not work particularly well on Queens Quay and Spadina, I'd say let's go for nearside stops, and not have the streetcar stop twice. The red-light delay on nearside stops seems to be far more functional.

The 510 Spadina & 509 Harbourfront streetcar lines were originally brought in because there was a surplus of CLRV/ALRV streetcars. Turned out the demand outgrew the supply. The current 204 order is based on the current supply of streetcars that they will replace, but the optional 60 extra order will be based on expected growth in demand. Just wonder if even that 60 optional extra would be enough, or will they have to order even more.

Back