News   Jul 17, 2024
 206     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 861     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 546     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

far validators are for PRESTO only, like on GO trains. otherwise, you simply show your ticket print out if you used tokens or cash, your metropass, or your transfer.

far validators are for PRESTO only, like on GO trains. otherwise, you simply show your ticket print out if you used tokens or cash, your metropass, or your transfer.

TTC documents seem to suggest fare validators are different from PRESTO readers and are meant for 'concession fares', which I assume means student and senior passes - possibly also Metropasses and weekly passes? - until PRESTO is fully implemented:

http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_2715C.jpg

Those doors should also be able to take metropasses as well.
Metropass users would be able to use any door - and then show their pass if checked. Same as the 501 currently.

TTC documents seem to suggest fare validators are different from PRESTO readers and are meant for 'concession fares', which I assume means student and senior passes - possibly also Metropasses and weekly passes?
Concession fares would mean tickets. Seniors and students with passes wouldn't need to do anything.

510 will see its first of many new streetcars starting their official service runs starting in Aug 2014 after the 2 intersections are rebuilt. They are going to enter service as they are ready, not in batches. It will be interesting to see how they deal with schedules based on unknown X 4400's on line.

The odd thing will be the fare collection, since the first wave of the Presto Card are not supposed to go on line until 4th quarter of 14.

All tickets will be time stamp for Seniors and students as well children. Its still a mess how the fare media is going to work.

510 will see its first of many new streetcars starting their official service runs starting in Aug 2014 after the 2 intersections are rebuilt. They are going to enter service as they are ready, not in batches. It will be interesting to see how they deal with schedules based on unknown X 4400's on line.

The odd thing will be the fare collection, since the first wave of the Presto Card are not supposed to go on line until 4th quarter of 14.

All tickets will be time stamp for Seniors and students as well children. Its still a mess how the fare media is going to work.

That must be why the TTC is looking for more Supervisors, as well as Transit Enforcement Officers.

I happened to spot one of the new streetcars at St. Clair and Bathurst.

11460337045_a641d17905_b.jpg

^^^ So basically these will stretch from one streetcar stop to another? I like that they're half a city block long.

They are rolling out the articulated buses today. That was rather quick, especially comparing how the Toronto Rocket (subway) trains took several months of testing and the Flexity Outlook is still undergoing testing before the production models even starting.

Don't think the PCC streetcars took that long when they first arrived.

Well they aren't quite that long, but in some cases streetcar stops will need to be removed (i.e., Victoria).

What about Elizabeth St? I think it's too close to Bay street, all it does is slow down the 506 streetcar which is already too slow to begin with.

What about Elizabeth St? I think it's too close to Bay street, all it does is slow down the 506 streetcar which is already too slow to begin with.

Yes it should for 505 and 506.

A few others:

Victoria-York-Simcoe for King and Queen

Victoria for Dundas

Bloor St for Broadview and Bathurst (Will effect the 300's if so, but a blue stop only)

First Stop East of Kipling on the Lake Shore.

First stop south of Dundas on Bathurst going south.

Stop between Dundas and Gerrard on Broadview.

The Jack Layton and Bridgeport stop on Broadview.

Northbound stop a Bloor on Dundas.

^ I agree with these. But how to make it happen?

The transit will be a lot more efficient without those redundant stops. The constant stop every 200 meters is extremely frustrating and normally only 1 or 2 get on or off when there is another big stop 3 minutes away, while a whole bus of people wait for it. For the 501, Victoria to Yonge (100m), University to York (130m), McCaul to John (120m), John to Peter (200m) are all incredibly close. And the first stop southbound on the 510. Are you kidding? The streetcar hardly started and had to stop already.

Are there any other city in the world with such short spacing? I think there should be a 300 meter minimum requirement (distance between Yonge and Church). I know it is supposed to be local service, but does that mean 100m spacing local?

Last edited:
I was on St. Clair after 2 AM last night, and it was fast! Skipped stops as well, including St. Clair West.

Night travel on the 512 can be like a simulation of LRT: fewer stops, less stopping at intersections with the lights generally green and no delays that happen with the driver doing fare control (which is automated on LRT lines). It's noticeably faster.

Back