News   Jul 17, 2024
 587     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 512     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

There was a recent "car into wet concrete" situation during the recent work on Front Street East. The road crew were so convulsed with laughter they could not help the driver to get out for a few minutes - the car was up to the middle of its radiator. (And yes, there were clear signs and men working very nearby.)
The recent Front Street East rebuild? If there were clear signs and workers directing traffic, that would have been a first. I work close to that work, and the complete lack of appropriate health and safety and traffic control on that project was beyond a joke. They significantly took advantage of the new requirement of the contractor not having police on paid duty, and did not have their own staff directing pedestrians and traffic, except on the rare occasion. I spoke to the supervisor for Il Duca Construction on one occasion (when I realised I'd inadvertently walked into the middle of a very busy construction zone in the dark, simply by walking down an unsigned and open sidewalk ... and it was quite clear from a brief discussion that he was a liar and had no interest in following standard traffic control rules.

Looks pretty clear to me. The street is down to two lanes. There is equipment a few hundred feet down the street, and signage right where they turned.
Looking at the picture, the lack of signage, pylons, and tape is atrocious. In that entire shot, there is a single pylon and no tape. This was pretty consistent with the gross incompetence I observed from the contractor.

I watched one day just after 4:30 pm after the city inspector had left for the day, and without warning, they suddenly started excavating the road in the middle of the interestion in the background of that shot. Okay fine ... but they did it without any pylons, flagging, people directing traffic, or trying to close either Front or Princess to pedestrians or cars. I'm amazed that they didn't back over a pedestrian crossing the interesection. It was truly bizarre ... clearly they had an unexpected truck to fill, so they decided to do something planned for the next day, in a rush, without appropriate precautions, when they knew the city inspector had gone home for the day.

Last edited:
Looking at the picture, the lack of signage, pylons, and tape is atrocious. In that entire shot, there is a single pylon and no tape. This was pretty consistent with the gross incompetence I observed from the contractor.

To Me, the large diamond sign the vehicle turned at is a pretty clear indication that there was construction going on. Unless that sign was moved there after they drove in.
1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg
    1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 427
To Me, the large diamond sign the vehicle turned at is a pretty clear indication that there was construction going on. Unless that sign was moved there after they drove in.
And what does the diamond sign say? Wet concrete? No ...

For weeks, vehicles were crossing the construction area to access driveways, do drop-offs, etc. If I set up a construction area like this, without even pylons or tape to indicate where to go, I'd lose my job.

Yeah, that would have been hilarious if it had been your confused mum or sister or grandma. Bunch of jerks.

Doesn't look very clearly marked at all. There are lots of sections in Toronto where dry concrete sections look like that. Totally innocent mistake, unlike driving down the streetcar tracks into Spadina station.

I live in the area and honestly even I had trouble figuring out where to drive. The pylons were set up in a way where you were unsure which side to drive on. Remember my gf and I having a discussion about it. This incident doesn't suprrise me.

The launch of the new streetcars seems to be delayed until Q3 of 2014. This is in part due to Wave 1 Rollout of PRESTO.

Download the PRESTO Implementation Update in PDF from this link.

Couldn't that be taken to mean that the first 50 streetcars will have been put into service by then, according to schedule, but the TTC will not be able to start implementing Presto on them until Q3? There's no reason they can't already have the streetcars running with legacy fare media and then put Presto in place, is there?

Couldn't that be taken to mean that the first 50 streetcars will have been put into service by then, according to schedule, but the TTC will not be able to start implementing Presto on them until Q3? There's no reason they can't already have the streetcars running with legacy fare media and then put Presto in place, is there?

How would you pay your fare with the legacy fare media? I thought the driver's area is enclosed, allowing them to concentrate on the driving portion of the job.

How would you pay your fare with the legacy fare media? I thought the driver's area is enclosed, allowing them to concentrate on the driving portion of the job.

They're supposed to have ticket vending machines (2 on each vehicle, as well as the busier stops) that take coins, tokens, credit/debit and issue receipts/transfers. Plus validators for passes. Operators won't have to handle cash or fare media at all.

Back