News   Jul 17, 2024
 587     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 512     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

That was during the G20 I still can't believe the person went in there and managed to get that far.

Maybe the driver was looking for the entrance for the Spadina Expressway. It was supposed to end at Sussex, which just happens to be where the entrance to the streetcar tunnels are. I guess he didn't get the memo that the expressway was cancelled :eek:

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder how some people get their driving license.
There was a recent "car into wet concrete" situation during the recent work on Front Street East. The road crew were so convulsed with laughter they could not help the driver to get out for a few minutes - the car was up to the middle of its radiator. (And yes, there were clear signs and men working very nearby.)

If the city is "grossly negligent" when people slip on icy sidewalks, then I'd have to imagine that not turning on safety equipment designed for these barricades isn't a small matter that they can escape all blame.

What about all of the other passive safety equipment - bright yellow paint, reflectors - that has already been installed on it? Does that count for nothing?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There was a recent "car into wet concrete" situation during the recent work on Front Street East. The road crew were so convulsed with laughter they could not help the driver to get out for a few minutes - the car was up to the middle of its radiator. (And yes, there were clear signs and men working very nearby.)
A friend of mine who works for the COC actually got a picture of that!

1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg
    1384279_10151677163736360_1501265499_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 513

Yeah, that would have been hilarious if it had been your confused mum or sister or grandma. Bunch of jerks.

Doesn't look very clearly marked at all. There are lots of sections in Toronto where dry concrete sections look like that. Totally innocent mistake, unlike driving down the streetcar tracks into Spadina station.

Last edited:
Doesn't look very clearly marked at all. There are lots of sections in Toronto where dry concrete sections look like that.

Looks pretty clear to me. The street is down to two lanes. There is equipment a few hundred feet down the street, and signage right where they turned.

Looks pretty clear to me. The street is down to two lanes. There is equipment a few hundred feet down the street, and signage right where they turned.

Actually not clear at all. Many times you can turn across sections of construction zones that are not currently active. If that was a lane of wet concrete they should have strung a piece of construction tape across the edge of it attached to pylons. You know like when they've just poured a fresh section of sidewalk. A few pieces of construction equipment and a few pylons lying around don't scream freshly poured concrete. I'm sure her insurance company will feel the same way when they see pictures. I think negligence on the construction company's part.

Again an easy mistake any of our grandparents could've made in a moment of stress and confusion.

Last edited:
I don't think it is particularly "funny", but I would certainly expect one to operate a one ton piece of equipment with a bit more care. And bringing up they're someone's grandparents just makes one question their fitness to drive even more.

Besides, pylons lined up generally speaks "do not enter" for vehicles - tape is probably more intended for people to avoid bypassing them.

AoD

I don't think it is particularly "funny", but I would certainly expect one to operate a one ton piece of equipment with a bit more care. And bringing up they're someone's grandparents just makes one question their fitness to drive even more.

Besides, pylons lined up generally speaks "do not enter" for vehicles - tape is probably more intended for people to avoid bypassing them.

AoD

The driver seemed to be fairly young - not a confused older person. I walked by shortly after it happened and the construction crew - who were working a few yards away - certainly helped them get out of the car, their laughter was momentary and not malicious. It was pretty obvious that this was an active work site and most people passing, including me, found it quite amusing too. There was obviously some damage to the car but not to the driver or passengers.

Back