News   Jul 15, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

“We have got money set aside in our capital budget to make changes to the islands,” he said, adding that the total cost for all the islands – not just St. Clair – would be an estimated $58 million.
The article makes it clear, that that money includes the modifications (including curb cuts) for 700 surface stops that don't have islands.

I'm sure that's not how the media will spin it though ...

The article makes it clear, that that money includes the modifications (including curb cuts) for 700 surface stops that don't have islands.

There are 700 streetcar surface stops???

Bet the residents of St. Clair West are looking forward to the noise and construction.

There are 700 streetcar surface stops???
Why does that suprise you? We have 9 major routes. Stops are on both sides ... That only averages to less than 80 stops per route. The 501 alone has almost 200 stops, not including Sunday stops.

Bet the residents of St. Clair West are looking forward to the noise and construction.
Bet most of them won't even notice ... it would only be a couple of slabs of concrete per stop ...

Why does that suprise you? We have 9 major routes. Stops are on both sides ... That only averages to less than 80 stops per route. The 501 alone has almost 200 stops, not including Sunday stops.

Bet most of them won't even notice ... it would only be a couple of slabs of concrete per stop ...

Excluding the Sunday stops! I am under the assumption that the Sunday stops in the old City of Toronto are going the way as most of the old Toronto Sunday Blue laws went, that's bye-bye. Toronto Sunday Blue laws meant no Sunday shopping, no Sunday sports, no Sunday movies, no Sunday CNE, no Sunday playgrounds, etc.

Sunday stops were a way to allow the Toronto Street Railway to operate on Sundays, the allow people without horses to get to church.

Hopefully, any changes to the stops on St. Clair will be done to the original design and not look like add-ons. The St. Clair stop platforms are quite nice, if a little narrow because of space constraints and lacking in decent seating. I believe that they're the only stops in the system that have attractive paving (large black and grey pavers) as opposed to being a generic slab of concrete raised above the roadway.

Last edited:
The real scandal will be paying for changes to the Roncesvalles bumpouts, which were supposedly designed for the LFLRVs!

The bumpouts along Roncesvalles will provide access to the doors, though the streetcars themselves may overhang the platforms. The streetcars could also overshoot the platforms on St. Clair or Spadina, but still have access to all the doors.
por-lrt-stc-stn-shows-bulb-out-2003_d-clarke.jpg

The dollar amounts include curb cuttings at most other streetcar stops to create wheelchair ramps that will lineup to the ramps on the new streetcars. The double doors for the wheelchair access are not at the front but more in the middle. Curb ramps have to be cut, which the cost is already including the cost.
urbantoronto-3990-11751.jpg
msiu_ttcstreetcar05.jpg

This is the mock-up, haven't seen the real ramp on the new streetcar.

The current CLRV streets have folding doors, which have to clear the islands. The new Outlook streetcars have sliding doors. So the platforms could be higher.
ttc-new-streetcar-side-21.jpg

They'll like to make sure the doorways are close to level with the platforms.

Attachments

• por-lrt-stc-stn-shows-bulb-out-2003_d-clarke.jpg
    por-lrt-stc-stn-shows-bulb-out-2003_d-clarke.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 568
  • urbantoronto-3990-11751.jpg
    urbantoronto-3990-11751.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 493
I think he is just worried that with the advent of the new streetcars stops will be cut (long overdue) and he will be the one getting an earful.

AoD

I think he is just worried that with the advent of the new streetcars stops will be cut (long overdue) and he will be the one getting an earful.
There is a genuine concern by some councillors, that for some routes such as Dundas and Carlton, that the drop in frequency, particularly off-peak, because of using larger streetcars, is a problem - and that streetcars should be smaller and more frequent.

The drop in frequency at what time though? Besides, the lines have such horrible bunching issues - that solving that would make more difference to crowding and wait-times than reduction in frequencies.

AoD

Meanwhile on the current streetcars jerks like this guy this morning continue to think it's okay to put their bags on a seat while everyone else stands.

283242_10152693118615360_1515214904_n.jpg

:mad:

The drop in frequency at what time though? Besides, the lines have such horrible bunching issues - that solving that would make more difference to crowding and wait-times than reduction in frequencies.
Which off-peak time have horrible buncing and crowding issues? I agree that during peak service on almost all routes and off-peak on some routes such as King and Spadina, they would be an improvement. However Dundas only has cars every 8 minutes in the early evening on weekdays, and every 12 minutes on weekends. Carlton is 7.5 minutes on weekdays and 11 minutes on Sundays. Harbourfront is only every 7.25 minutes mid-day on weekdays. Kingston Road has cars only every 16 minutes mid-day. It's these routes that there are concerns about if they were to become less frequent.

Meanwhile on the current streetcars jerks like this guy this morning continue to think it's okay to put their bags on a seat while everyone else stands.
What did he say when you asked him to move? I see people doing this, and not once have they failed to move their bags when I or others have asked.

Are all these changes to the platforms for wheelchair ramps in addition to the normal WheelTrans system that currently is out there? I only ask because I've never seen anyone in a wheelchair in the current TTC subway system which has wheelchair accessible elevator and train cars. Anyway, hopefully if we spend all this money to improve wheelchair accessibility the ramps will actually be used by people in wheelchairs and not just mums with oversized strollers.

Are all these changes to the platforms for wheelchair ramps in addition to the normal WheelTrans system that currently is out there?
The idea is to get some of those using WheelTrans onto regular transit, because it's a lot cheaper - even with these modifications.

I only ask because I've never seen anyone in a wheelchair in the current TTC subway system which has wheelchair accessible elevator and train cars.
I have to confess, I haven't seen surprisingly few wheelchairs on the subway. I've seen far more on suburban TTC buses. However most stations aren't wheelchair accessible yet.

I have however been surprised in Vancouver how many wheelchairs I see on the Skytrain and buses there, especially compared to Toronto. So I would assume that wheelchair usage will increase significantly once the system is more accessible.

But what about that guy you saw taking 2 seats with his bags? Did you speak to him? Sometimes I see stuff like that because someone has gotten onto an empty car, is busy with their device, and hasn't realised that car has filled up ...

Back