News   Jul 15, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 621     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The door chimes make it sound like a subway train.
Or a GO Train. Very smart idea, everyone will know what it means.

I'd assume the Flexity Freedoms for Eglinton will have the same. I wonder if we'll see Flexity's for other systems having it too, like the ones they are sending to Kitchener-Waterloo for their new LRT.

Dewired twice on the curve. I know some of the curves are bad (other streetcars dewired on the same curve apparently). I'm wondering why they haven't been using the pantograph yet. My understanding is that the wiring on Bathurst and St clair has been upgraded already to support pantographs.

Dewired twice on the curve. I know some of the curves are bad (other streetcars dewired on the same curve apparently). I'm wondering why they haven't been using the pantograph yet. My understanding is that the wiring on Bathurst and St clair has been upgraded already to support pantographs.

The 2nd night they took the car out for testing, 3 512 got stuck behind it as it departed the yard before these car went by first. All 3 512 cars dewired at Queen St on brand new overhead.

Bathurst, Spadina Roncesvalles and St Clair are 100% pans ready. Most of King is pan ready. Other parts of the system is pan ready. When 509 returns, it will be pan along with Fleet & the CNE loop.

They need to test the whole system first with poles since they will be used first on the other new cars coming in 2014 before doing the testing with the pan.

Yeah, they're using this vehicle to test the whether the new streetcar can handle the system of rails, so it needs to be trolley pole in order to drive along every track.

Yeah, they're using this vehicle to test the whether the new streetcar can handle the system of rails, so it needs to be trolley pole in order to drive along every track.

Most likely they'll use the new streetcars on routes with pantograph ready wiring, using the trolley to get there and back to the carbarns.

My point was limited to the use of this vehicle for testing.

This vehicle's primary purpose is to determine whether these vehicles have been built well enough to handle the real-world scenario of the existing track.
I'm sure they will also use it to test the pantograph-ready wiring, but that's not nearly as timely as needing to get change requests back to Thunder Bay because the streetcar gets stuck on a particular curve.

I'm making no guesses as to their operations once they enter these into revenue service.

Last week, for the first time, I managed to take a short trip on one of these new style trams/streetcars/LRT systems....and came away very impressed.

During a short trip to Dublin I managed a short ride on Luas. I came away with the impression that these sort of systems can be very comfortable, effective and popular to the extent they are moving in their own right of ways or have some sort of signal system in mixed traffic. So, on Toronto's new lines I am looking forward to seeing them. I do continue to be unsure how they will operate on our legacy lines in mixed traffic (particularly King and Queen). It will be interesting to see how they handle rush hour traffic situations with such long vehicles (I regularly see streetcars blocking intersections as it is now can't imagine what these much longer vehicles will do along, say, the stretch from University to Spadina on King)....but time will tell....will we eliminate stops? (ie. direct people from Roy Thompson Hall to University rather than providing stops at Simcoe?).

On Luas they operate trams manufactured in La Rochelle, France by Alstom Transport. They are model type Citadis 301, 401 & 402......anyone with more experience/knowledge able to give a summary of how these compare to the models the TTC have purchased?

Last week, for the first time, I managed to take a short trip on one of these new style trams/streetcars/LRT systems....and came away very impressed.

During a short trip to Dublin I managed a short ride on Luas. I came away with the impression that these sort of systems can be very comfortable, effective and popular to the extent they are moving in their own right of ways or have some sort of signal system in mixed traffic. So, on Toronto's new lines I am looking forward to seeing them.

Having rode similar vehicles in Amsterdam and Brussels this year (both systems' trams run in tunnels, ROWs, and mixed traffic), I'm also looking forward to seeing them on Main Street in Downtown Brampton. :)

Having rode similar vehicles in Amsterdam and Brussels this year (both systems' trams run in tunnels, ROWs, and mixed traffic), I'm also looking forward to seeing them on Main Street in Downtown Brampton. :)

I'll disagree with you there. Not, as I have said before, out of any particular main street bias but out of a "there is no demand to justify the expense" type bias ;)

During a short trip to Dublin I managed a short ride on Luas. I came away with the impression that these sort of systems can be very comfortable, effective and popular to the extent they are moving in their own right of ways or have some sort of signal system in mixed traffic. So, on Toronto's new lines I am looking forward to seeing them. I do continue to be unsure how they will operate on our legacy lines in mixed traffic (particularly King and Queen). It will be interesting to see how they handle rush hour traffic situations with such long vehicles (I regularly see streetcars blocking intersections as it is now can't imagine what these much longer vehicles will do along, say, the stretch from University to Spadina on King)....but time will tell....will we eliminate stops? (ie. direct people from Roy Thompson Hall to University rather than providing stops at Simcoe?).

On Luas they operate trams manufactured in La Rochelle, France by Alstom Transport. They are model type Citadis 301, 401 & 402......anyone with more experience/knowledge able to give a summary of how these compare to the models the TTC have purchased?

The Alstom cars I rode in Paris, Nice, Madrid and Barcelona are below the ones TTC are getting, other than their floor were way better and flat. Stadler still has the best car out there and we are getting 3/4 cars in ranking by manufactures. Rode the 5 & 7 section cars we are getting in Berlin and not impress then.

If the 5 sections let alone 7 sections can run in mix traffic in Europe without issues, there is no reason they can't do it here also. Only the clues drivers will have issues with them.

Not sure when TTC planning on removing stops as a large number will be too close for the new cars. Long over due to be reduce the number of stops as most are only a block or 2 spacing between them now.

Not sure when TTC planning on removing stops as a large number will be too close for the new cars. Long over due to be reduce the number of stops as most are only a block or 2 spacing between them now.

The TTC is about to make curb cuts at the streetcar stops on Dundas and Queen so they are either planning on keeping all the stops or it's another case of right-hand vs left-hand. Locations are all marked on TO-InView (See http://map.toronto.ca/maps/map.jsp?app=TO_INview2013 and then tick-off TTC)

Back