News   Jul 15, 2024
 155     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Was this application just made? I'm surprised the TTC didn't try to do this earlier when the Spadina Streetcar was out of service for upgrades. They could have killed two birds with one stone.

I think spadina will be shut down again this year for more track and platform work, but they seem to have missed several other opportunities to kill two birds with one stone, particularly at st clair west station when it was rebuilt recently and they did not make any adjustments to allow for the new longer streetcars, it would have been worthwhile to add another loading platform.

Last edited:
I for one welcome our new streetcar overlords. I look forward to trying to pass them. What are they about 100 meters long?

Perhaps if red was dominant with just a thin white stripe, it would be sharper. The TTC streetcar colours have changed with new generations of streetcars. The PCCs had the bold cream-red combination, which then changed to a more modern red-white-black on the CLRVs. In Greater Toronto, the style benchmark is Brampton Zum's sharp combination of red, silver, and white dots which convey a sense of motion. Using silver instead of white would have looked sharper and more modern.

I really don't like the Zum. Too much going on with the design. Looks more like a billboard than a bus to me

The clean, modern, minimalistic design of our new streetcars is the way to go. I hope the TTC adopts this new livery across the entire surface fleet. This can be the next generation of TTC livery.

Was this application just made? I'm surprised the TTC didn't try to do this earlier when the Spadina Streetcar was out of service for upgrades. They could have killed two birds with one stone.

There has been a plan to fix the west end of the loop platform so 2 cars could be in the area at the same time. Was surprised it wasn't done last year when the line was close when I got home.

Unaware of the floor being raise and have to look at that the next time I am at the loop to see why. Could be something that came to light that was over looked or miss in the design stage as well not having the funds to do it last year.

I hope they tie this closure in with the rebuilding of the loop at Queens Quay as well the intersection.

The QQ line should not open until the loop and the intersection is done first so a second closure is not needed later this year.

The 510 is supposed to return to the QQ loop in May, but haven't heard what the new date is for Union Station.

I for one welcome our new streetcar overlords. I look forward to trying to pass them. What are they about 100 meters long?

They are about two PCC streetcars in length. Almost the length length as the MU streetcar trains that ran on the Bloor streetcar line and later Queen.
streetcar-4115-07.jpg

img_79560.jpg

Or a Peter Witt streetcar and trailer train in length, of the kind that ran on Yonge Street.
streetcar-4700-16.jpg

streetcar-4709-80.jpg

The new streetcars will be about 30.20m in length. For specs, see this link.

The Bombardier Flexity Outlook have been ordered in longer lengths. Linz, Austria ordered Outlook trams in 40m lengths. Berlin, Germany ordered Outlook models of 43.4m in length.

The TTC ordered streetcars to match the old streetcar trains in length. Short in comparison.

Attachments

• streetcar-4115-07.jpg
    streetcar-4115-07.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,093
  • streetcar-4700-16.jpg
    streetcar-4700-16.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 928
  • streetcar-4709-80.jpg
    streetcar-4709-80.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
I think the livery is alright, it's certainly not bad. But do all the trams have to be the same? Maybe we could brighten things up and add some variety...
I guess they could do a reverse colour scheme - red-on-white. Wonder how'd that look.

Shame we didn't go for some longer units, for some routes such as Spadina. Like these 43-metre long units from Edinburgh. That's over 40% longer than our new units!

1024px-Edinburgh_trams_at_Gogar_Tram_Depot.JPG

Back