News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

Toronto's and Province's New 12.4B Eglinton/SRT/Sheppard Plan

But it doesn't cost less. Now it costs the same as the original longer Eglinton RT project and the now cancelled Finch West LRT, Sheppard East LRT, and the SRT extension from McCowan to Sheppard.

The primary reason is that the projected demand is much lower than what a full subway carries. Also the cost for full subway would be more expensive yet again.

I have a hard time believing Sheppard offers more demand...though I can see how it's possible now that they have a subway in use.

I have a hard time believing Sheppard offers more demand...though I can see how it's possible now that they have a subway in use.
It doesn't. Demand on Sheppard is lower than Eglinton. Demand on Sheppard east of Victoria Park and west of Yonge is much much lower than Eglinton. Sheppard doesn't come anywhere close to requiring subway ... however Ford's extreme densification plan for Sheppard may change this ... but I really don't believe Rob Ford actually understands exactly what he has committed too ... though it doesn't matter, he probably knows the Sheppard subway will never happen ... at least past Victoria Park.

Planning major transit routes is not just about serving existing demands. It’s also about being a catalyst for new development. The one place you don’t want to put new major transit routes is through built-up lower-density areas. You want to put them through high density areas or areas with the potential to become high-density areas over time. Every mall and retail plaza in the city could potentially become a medium to high density mixed-use transit-oriented development if a transit line is built under or next to it. Sheppard East of the 404 has lots of opportunites. Sheppard west of Yonge has fewer opportunites, but provides a link to the Spadina branch.

Last edited:
Planning major transit routes is not just about serving existing demands. It’s also about being a catalyst for new development. The one place you don’t want to put new major transit routes is through built-up lower-density areas. You want to put them through high density areas or areas with the potential to become high-density areas over time. Every mall and retail plaza in the city could potentially become a medium to high density mixed-use transit-oriented development if a transit line is built under or next to it. Sheppard East of the 404 has lots of opportunites. Sheppard west of Yonge has fewer opportunites, but provides a link to the Spadina branch.

Even new density on Sheppard won't necessarily generate the ridership required for a subway though. Bayview has seen plenty of development since the subway opened but its station is still one of least used on the entire system. Nor do you really need a subway to spur on new development. Just look at the waterfront.

I'm sure that a subway would bring some benefits to Sheppard East, but I have a hard time seeing how those benefits could ever justify the tremendous expense.

Do we know this for a fact? It' not a particularly useful station, but it would still seem odd to close it and abandon the elevated track just to save a few bucks and have the line end at STC.
Fact? Well that's what the Government of Ontario and City of Toronto are saying.

Who knows what will happen ... I'm not convinced City Council will go for it ...

My opinion of this:
torontotransitplanmapen.jpg

There's nothing saying the Jane buses can't divert slightly off their route to go to Black Creek.

If anything...why cant Jane buses start a new Express branch?

Route starts at Black Creek Station...goes up Black Creek Drive EXPRESS with zero stops. It exits at Jane. Then just goes up Jane all the way to Steeles.

This will do so much for Jane without much expense because there is luckily a semi-expressway/highway right beside jane down to Eglinton.

Its Perfect really!

Also...a little more far fetched...why cant we have an express route during rush hour along Finch Ave that goes from Humber College down Finch then south on 400, south on Black Creek (this exit is ALWAYS wide open) then the route ends at Black Creek Station...

Here's another one... Kipling Express...Down Kipling then East along Eglinton and it terminates at Black Creek Station.

Really..there's so many ways we can improve transit in Toronto with existing infrastructure (in suburban 416 that is)...i dont understand why we dont use the potential...once we build the Eglinton Line...i am sure we could run a whole new series of express routes to offset the loss of Finch West LRT

45E and 36E makes no sense, since they pretty much parallel either subway line that you might as well be in a subway train, especially since rush hour highway traffic still applies to buses, unless going the opposite direction. 35F will make a little more sense as it will parallel 36E most of the time, unless the stop scheme is Black Creek - Wilson, Sheppard - Finch - Steeles West STN But to make it work properly, you would have to reduce the frequency of a Jane branch in combination of more buses, or even more buses which makes traffic worse

The way I see this map is rather unbalanced - the eastern portions are all connected in nodes @ STC and Kennedy, while the West seems so open ended.

So lets connect the dots with the ARL....

torontotransitplanmapen.jpg

Who knows, with a 15 min ARL frequency, this *might* work....

As a bonus, with fare integration the ARL could also serve the west as a DRL. :)

I believe the ARL will only go Union - Pearson, no stops

GO Transit will continue to stop at Bloor, Weston and Etobicoke North GO stations, which will require changes to suit the new track alignments. The new Air Rail Link will only stop at the Bloor and Weston GO stations.
http://www.gotransit.com/gts/en/project/default.aspx

It would just take a slab of asphalt, some shelters and a pair of stairs to make a stop at Eglinton, but I guess we'll see if the demand exists when the line opens.

Thats just me... connecting the dots

I believe its either elevated or underground, since the space to the west would possibly be an LRT yard

Last edited:

Back