1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Toronto's and Province's New 12.4B Eglinton/SRT/Sheppard Plan

Guess what!

Toronto must pay at least $49M to cancel LRT plan

Toronto is currently on the hook for at least $49 million for cancelling the Transit City light rail plan, says the head the regional transportation agency tasked with implementing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's new transit plan.

That outlay is likely to rise, said Bruce McQuaig, the CEO of Metrolinx. The city would have to pay for any penalties incurred for breaking or altering contracts secured in the previous Transit City plan, he confirmed.

"$49 million is what would be known at this point in time and then there would be additions based on how the discussions go with some of the suppliers," he told reporters Thursday.

Part of that figure includes the $8 to 9 million committed to planning the now cancelled Finch Avenue West light rail line, he said.

His comments come after Ford and Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty announced a new transit plan to replace the Transit City project, which called for the installation of light rail lines all over the city.

$777M Bombardier deal will be changed
The city will now have to alter a $777-million contract with Bombardier. The city had originally ordered 185 LRT vehicles, and they now only need 130, according to Metrolinx.

But Bombardier may be interested in providing the city subway cars for Ford's proposed Sheppard subway extension, said McQuaig. That could just be added to the existing order for light rail vehicles.

"It's going to be a pretty complicated conversation," he said. "I just can't predict how much there might be of additional cost from the change in the light rail vehicle order at this point."

TTC Chair Karen Stintz was also unable to say exactly how much the city would have to pay for changing existing contracts.

So far, the city has committed $1.38 billion to Transit City-related contracts that may need to be altered or broken.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/31/toronto-lrt-penalties524.html

The only real "news" here is that the Eglinton LRT will run underground as far as Kennedy and that Finch will be some kind of "improved" bus. The money isn't any different from before, except that the McGuinty government greenlighted Ford et al to try to get private funding for their Sheppard subway. Good luck with that.

The best part of this mixed bag is that McGuinty gave Ford enough rope to hang himself with his Sheppard Subway dream.

The opposition is forming.

http://bit.ly/ieKxjn

The more I think about that 2020 projection for the Sheppard extension. The more it sounds unlikely. The EAs will take 2-3 years to complete, under optimal conditions. (i.e., funding in hand).
I loved the irony of this statement:

"The Scarborough councillor accused Ford’s plan of leaving the suburbs out because there is no guarantee the $4.2 billion Sheppard subway line will be built."

Guess what!

Toronto must pay at least $49M to cancel LRT plan

Toronto is currently on the hook for at least $49 million for cancelling the Transit City light rail plan, says the head the regional transportation agency tasked with implementing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's new transit plan.

That outlay is likely to rise, said Bruce McQuaig, the CEO of Metrolinx. The city would have to pay for any penalties incurred for breaking or altering contracts secured in the previous Transit City plan, he confirmed.

"$49 million is what would be known at this point in time and then there would be additions based on how the discussions go with some of the suppliers," he told reporters Thursday.

Part of that figure includes the $8 to 9 million committed to planning the now cancelled Finch Avenue West light rail line, he said.

His comments come after Ford and Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty announced a new transit plan to replace the Transit City project, which called for the installation of light rail lines all over the city.

$777M Bombardier deal will be changed
The city will now have to alter a $777-million contract with Bombardier. The city had originally ordered 185 LRT vehicles, and they now only need 130, according to Metrolinx.

But Bombardier may be interested in providing the city subway cars for Ford's proposed Sheppard subway extension, said McQuaig. That could just be added to the existing order for light rail vehicles.

"It's going to be a pretty complicated conversation," he said. "I just can't predict how much there might be of additional cost from the change in the light rail vehicle order at this point."

TTC Chair Karen Stintz was also unable to say exactly how much the city would have to pay for changing existing contracts.

So far, the city has committed $1.38 billion to Transit City-related contracts that may need to be altered or broken.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/31/toronto-lrt-penalties524.html

And even as recently when this retarded P3 scheme was first announced, Doug Ford was still adamant that there would be no cancellation costs. Even if there are no costs, it is not as if the last four years of planning were all done by volunteers.

Whose face is McQuaig trying to save? There's no way that the Sheppard subway line is going to be built, that Bombardier deal is a goner and the only thing they're going to be sending to Toronto is their lawyer. As Glenn de Baeremaker put it in Marcus Gee's column today, it would require the fees and taxes collected from the construction of 1,000 40 storey condos to underwrite the cost of this line.

If you think that a private company is going to pony up 4 billion dollars, I have a subway line in Scarborough to sell to you!

Last edited:
I see no reason why construction can't proceed as planned on Eglinton. The tunnel will simply be longer. Build the portion that is already approved. How difficult is that?

Whose face is McQuaig trying to save? There's no way that the Sheppard subway line is going to be built, that Bombardier deal is a goner and the only thing they're going to be sending to Toronto is their lawyer. As Glenn de Baeremaker put it in Marcus Gee's column today, it would require the fees and taxes collected from the construction of 1,000 40 storey condos to underwrite the cost of this line.

If you think that a private company is going to pony up 4 billion dollars, I have a subway line in Scarborough to sell to you!
I would be shocked if Ford and friends even remotely believe that. To suggest that paying for a 4-5 billion $ line with mainly private money is very unlikely is just stating the obvious.

But all of this is pretty much missing the point, with the bigger point being that Ford's group has decided to place Sheppard into 2nd tier status, despite the fact he campaigned so hard for it, and instead has put his emphasis on Eglinton. IMO, this is a major win for transit in Toronto in the context of a prior "Transit-City-is-dead-and-I-love-the-Sheppard-subway" statement.

Quite frankly, if Eglinton gets built as described, I don't give a damn what happens to Sheppard, at least for the time being.

I see no reason why construction can't proceed as planned on Eglinton. The tunnel will simply be longer. Build the portion that is already approved. How difficult is that?
The plan was to start the construction at one of the portals, and launch the TBMs there. If the tunnel is to be longer, then that wouldn't work, and they'd have to launch elsewhere, or at a station. Doable, but will surely delay the launch ... and is a reason why the construction can't proceed as planned.

Though perhaps the portal remains - the documents are very vague.

"Toronto must pay at least $49M to cancel LRT plan"

So, as long as there are no additional cancelation costs (yea, right, Bombardier is just going to forget about almost 1/3 of the LRV order when they know full well the Sheppard line isn't coming) then the city's deficit is up to... what? 833M i think? But just remember! We saved a couple of million dollars cancelling bus service!

It's kind of funny to think about, but it looks like that represents almost twice the city's TTC subsidy.

Steve Munro has posted the Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario, and Metrolinx. This is the non-binding document that outlines the new deal.

As you may or may not know, the Eglinton line is $8.73 billion minus $0.333 billion from the federal government.

If the Eglinton line comes in under budget (fat chance), up to $0.65 billion can be used from that $8.4 billion to fund the Sheppard line.

The plan was to start the construction at one of the portals, and launch the TBMs there. If the tunnel is to be longer, then that wouldn't work, and they'd have to launch elsewhere, or at a station. Doable, but will surely delay the launch ... and is a reason why the construction can't proceed as planned.

Though perhaps the portal remains - the documents are very vague.

I remember reading somewhere that the Black Creek section will be above ground, so maybe they are keeping the portal in the same spot. It may change how they did the tunnel (ie from west to east), but it may not affect the timelines.

Actually, on 2nd thought, going from west to east makes sense, because maybe by the time the TBMs reach the eastern end, the eastern section of the line will be ready to be tunnelled. Ie the TBMs can continue seamlessly into the new section. Although they would have to be put back into the ground east of the Don Valley, because I seem to remember reading something about going above ground over the valley.

What are some cities that are right at the border of another state. Like Detroit is at Toronto's Border. Memphis, TN is at Arkansas's border. Philadelphia, PA is at New Jersey's border.

Ottawa is right on the border between Ontario and Quebec. OC Transpo is one of the only transit agencies in Canada that is under the control of the Feds, not the Province, because it crosses provincial borders.

Of note in that document: "Sheppard East" is described as having two stations and "Sheppard West" is described as having seven. I assume that would mean Downsview, Bathurst North, Consumers, Vic Park North, Warden North, Kennedy North, Agincourt, Progress, and Scarborough Centre.

Back