Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

4002329886_233057b541_b.jpg

4002333050_6dc0cf4451_b.jpg

Cladding

Not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the ugly concrete residential building immediately east of this development on Elm Street appears to be in the process of re-cladding. At least a test piece has been mounted on the buildings west side. Sorry, no camera.

You mean the Nightmare on Elm Street? Too bad I didn't notice it. I don't think recladding will save it. If they're not going to tear it down completely, I wish they'd just leave it as is. The only thing it has going for it is it's unique post-apocalyptic charm. It's like a naked mole rat: so ugly it's kind of interesting to look at.

The concrete fins on the south side of the beloved, listed, 77 Elm Street were recently refurbished. Maybe there's more restoration work to come for this heritage building?

You guys NEED to go see that test cladding. I don't know whether to be thrilled or terrified.

It's not at all like Uno Prii's design-- and it's not concrete at all.

It's fritted glass, with white and green horizontal lines and this crazy pattern. It's... REALLY cool but I don't know how I feel about it being on this building.

The test cladding is fitted to cover one of the parking garage opens at about the third and fourth levels, at the northwest corner of the building.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Elm Centre... the ceiling heights look terrifyingly low. Like... a human couldn't stand up in there.

Every time somebody tries to build something that helps other people, there will always be somebody to fight it every step of the way.

Every time somebody tries to build something that helps other people, there will always be somebody to fight it every step of the way.

I think this one will be one of the nicer ones. There are definitely some TCHC buildings/areas that are less desirable than others.

Yeah....

I walked by a couple of times and noticed what appeared to be test cladding and it looked... different. But anything has to be better than this concrete looking monster so I'll support this cladding regardless.

Umm... I wasn't fighting off this building. In fact, I've done my share of advertising it to the public. I don't know who could possibly be against it.

I was simply noting that the ceilings look very unnaturally low, in a claustrophobic sense.

The test cladding sounds alot like the Diamond project being built by Sick Kids who also own this protected building.

Last edited:
Umm... I wasn't fighting off this building. In fact, I've done my share of advertising it to the public. I don't know who could possibly be against it.

I was simply noting that the ceilings look very unnaturally low, in a claustrophobic sense.
If you weren't fighting it, then why did you assume I was talking to you?

I was referring to the article on the front page, and generally the many other instances of NIMBYs fighting just about anything they can fight.

Back