Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

Thanks for the pics PE - it seem to have changed a bit from the initial design - which featured some CCBR like "pods" on the ground floor. Maybe that's more Clewes/aA than John van Nostrand's thing - especially considering aA's recent change to incorporating more curves...

I will hold off on changing the title for now until things become clearer - it seems aA is still claiming a lot of the projects shared with rA.

AoD

Thanks for the information. Frankly, though, I wish they were more inventive in their names. architectsAlliance (aA), planningAlliance (pA) and regionalArchitects (rA)?? That makes me throughlyAddled (tA).

July 13

IMG_july-13-09-0035.jpg

IMG_july-13-09-0036.jpg

IMG_july-13-09-0038.jpg

IMG_july-13-09-0043.jpg

So, wait, was the old yellow brick building previously just a facade? Did they keep the facade from a previous facadectomy?

So, wait, was the old yellow brick building previously just a facade? Did they keep the facade from a previous facadectomy?

Indeed: Laughlen Lodge's frontage was retained in the early 80s. (Dunno if this counts as the first re-facadectomy in Toronto.)

Although the incorporation into the new development looks a bit awkward, it's a lovely English facade... glad they're keeping it. Pre-confederation, eh?

From the Inventory...

87 ELM ST Public 27 7-78 Architectural Historical Contextual Now known as 110 Edward Street; Laughlen Lodge, 1848, Wm. Thomas; 1858, Joseph Sheard; addition in 1899, E.J. Lennox; part of 110 Edward St. -adopted by City Council on June 20, 1973 DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL on January 16, 1978 (heritage easement agreement - Registered CT441296, Nov. 4/80)

6 August 2009 photo update

I hadn't been in the area in over 7 months, so was surprised to see how tall the building will be--as per crane height. Also, after walking around the area early yesterday morning, I realized this building will be the first attractive building in the 'hood (north of Dundas) in perhaps 75 years?!

dsc07034.jpg

I hadn't been in the area in over 7 months, so was surprised to see how tall the building will be--as per crane height. Also, after walking around the area early yesterday morning, I realized this building will be the first attractive building in the 'hood (north of Dundas) in perhaps 75 years?!

I'd agree with you were Pri's Elm St. complex and that gorgeous mid-century tower at University and Edward (its name slips my mind) not in the picture.

Daily Commercial News

AFFORDABLE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT
Proj: 9033339-24
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
SUB AWARDS
YWCA Elm Centre, 110 Edward St and 87 Elm St, M5G 2A5
$53,000,000 est

Start: January, 2009

Complete: November, 2010

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, curtainwall exterior, other mechanical system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, steam/hot water heating system, geothermal powered glycol heating system; various interior finshes; construction of new affordable rental apartment building, 110 Edward St, with head office of YWCA Toronto. Construction of new 22,000 sq m 17 storey poured concrete building containing 302 apartment units and 2,150 sq m of office and commercial space. Owner is YWCA Toronto. Bldg includes restaurant with commercial kitchen and one level of underground parking. Mechanical system will employ geothermal well field with radiant slab heating and cooling. Existing site contains part of 1848 heritage building "House of Industry" at 87 Elm St to be reused for YWCA Toronto offices.

Scope: 24,150 m²; 17 storeys; 2 structures; 302 units; parking for 250 cars; 2 acres

Development: New

Category: Apartment bldgs

First report Wed Feb 22, 2006. Last report Thu Jan 22, 2009.
This report Thu Sep 24, 2009.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=add0a22d6aef8c3b92b6492959af5e2fcfbecb0e&projectid=9033339&region=ontario

Back