Toronto YWCA Elm Centre | ?m | 17s | YWCA Toronto | SvN

Cuz I was being defensive. I apologize.

I think that test cladding on 77 Elm is definitely for Sick Kids. Suddenly that makes alot more sense.

The colour transitions on the cladding are subtle, and it certainly resembles the renderings of Sick Kids. I don't like how they've patched up the concrete on 77 Elm, though.

Image of the cladding - sorry to persist with the slightly off topic nature of 77 Elm.

Attachments

• Elm and Eliz A.jpg
    Elm and Eliz A.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Elm and Eliz B.jpg
    Elm and Eliz B.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 346
So they appear to be test-cladding on another building? I guess we can hope so. It would be unfortunate indeed if they were to mess with 77 Elm.

Yeah the permit states it's for the parking garage of ANOTHER building. Therefore, I imagine for the new Sick Kids building. Tuscani01 and I were down there last week and saw the city's permit explaining that. So... Sick Kids it is?

Renderings of Sick Kids on the D+S website certainly indicate the sort of subtle colour transitions we see in this cladding.

Image of the cladding

Thanks CP ! I like these cladding a lot~

personally I think covering the above grade garage of 77 Elm is not a bad thing, it certainly is better than a exposed garage

Here are a couple more shots of the YWCA showing recent progress along the Edward Street facade:

YWCAfromtheeast.jpg

YWCAfromthewest.jpg

I want to like it, but I really don't. I can't see how any possible resolution of the remaining details will make me like it more. It's squat, depressing, and already looks a prime candidate for redevelopment.

It could be the palette. If the black brick were yellow and the yellow spandrels were red or blue (or even a brighter yellow) it might've worked better to my eye

The yellow cries out "institutional usage". I know, I know, the coloured panels are the shizzle right now, but in twenty years the legacy image of the 2010's will be faded out panels detracting from otherwise solid design.

Back