Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Exciting to see the finishing touches slowly starting to come together..

The signage out front is already going up I see. First new TTC sign since 2002?

That wheelchair ramp is pretty awful. Imagine being part way up or down, and then seeing there is someone else coming in the opposite direction, and then needing to back up. They should have just put in an elevator.

That wheelchair ramp is pretty awful. Imagine being part way up or down, and then seeing there is someone else coming in the opposite direction, and then needing to back up. They should have just put in an elevator.
It does look disturbing. But surely there is an elevator as well ...

It does look disturbing. But surely there is an elevator as well ...

Not sure - the two elevators go from the paid concourse to the platform - not sure (I doubt) if it spans the additional grade change from the concourse to Union Station proper. The set of ramps in the photo is at the western end of the west bypass, and it leads up to walkway underneath the Front Street pedestrian bridge.

AoD

Not sure - the two elevators go from the paid concourse to the platform - not sure (I doubt) if it spans the additional grade change from the concourse to Union Station proper. The set of ramps in the photo is at the western end of the west bypass, and it leads up to walkway underneath the Front Street pedestrian bridge.
There used to be a third TTC elevator from the mezzanine to the GO concourse level - though a very old and small one that really wasn't designed for anything other than wheelchairs. Hopefully something remains, and this is simply to handle people with luggage, etc. Or hopefully it's temporary and the future grade changes when they rebuild the GO Bay concourse eliminate this ...

Though TTC completely screwing something up certainly wouldn't be a unusual event ...

How wide is it? are those floor tiles 12 or 18 inch tiles? 2ft to 3ft wide hardly seems wide enough for an "accessible" ramp in such a busy place.

Yes very true. I was walking up the ramp one day (happened to be there during rush hour and took the ramp to avoid crowds) and had to stop at one of the switchbacks to allow a woman with her child and stroller to pass otherwise the two of us would not be able to pass each other on the ramp section.

Then had some impatient people cut in front of me just as the woman passed.

I thought the same thing!
With the blind corners, it's bound to happen.

Back