Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

East set of doors/temporary stairs getting closer:
P1390631.jpg

Speaking of temporary stairs:
P1390632.jpg

Attachments

• P1390631.jpg
    P1390631.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,509
  • P1390632.jpg
    P1390632.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,491
I don't think it can open until at least the east mezzanine is open, can it? And has anyone been to platform level lately? I walk through Union all the time but never pay the fare to see the platforms

When I got to the platform yesterday the Yonge-bound train had pulled in so I couldn't see platform two… but from previous recent visits I can tell you that there is a lot of work left before the second platform opens. I think they're targeting the fall of this year for that to happen.

For temporary stairs they are using a HUGE quantity of re-bar.

Not only that, but they built an impressive serpentine accessibility ramp for people who cannot use the stairs. I'm pretty confident these stairs are not temporary. There's nothing wrong with them, as long as the moat glass covers are coming, as planned.

Not only that, but they built an impressive serpentine accessibility ramp for people who cannot use the stairs. I'm pretty confident these stairs are not temporary. There's nothing wrong with them, as long as the moat glass covers are coming, as planned.

The stairs are temporary, the ramp is not.

The new final ground level at Union Station is complicated. The central and west moat will be at the same height it is now, and the ramp will serve that in perpetuity.

The stairs, however, are going to go eventually.

That will happen in phases. Once the new stairs open, they can close and demolish the current ones and start another dig-down.

The next dig-down will get people up from subway concourse level up to central/west moat level with west-facing stairs. They'll be walking that way as of this Fall when the York Street GO Concourse opens and the Bay Street GO Concourse closes.

Once the Bay GO Concourse closes, they'll demolish then start a dig-down there. That dig-down will take the GO Concourse area down to the same level as the subway concourse, and the same level as the new mall sections currently being built behind the scenes at the station. That means stairs facing south from the subway concourse will no longer be needed, and that there will be a huge fully accessible area down there all at the same level.

Here's a plan on which you should be able to find all the components I'm talking about. For example, the permanent stairs from the subway concourse to the west/centre moat area can be seen below the purple arrow just to the right of "Front Street Centre Moat", and the dug-down current GO Bay Concourse will become the Bay Street Promenade (more new mall space). If you look around the plan, you'll see the other stairs that will go in to connect the dug-down areas to the areas which will remain at the current lower level.

UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg

Hope that clears it up, but quiz me if it doesn't!

Attachments

• UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg
    UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,460
Thanks, but I still wonder why they are using vast quantities of rebar in what appear to be temporary stairs.

Rebar is needed for strength, not long term durability. Duration determines if it is wood or concrete. If it is concrete, it needs the same amount of rebar regardless of duration.

There is new tile flooring on the western part of the concourse (close to the accessibility ramp). Even though it's grey and white, it's quite refreshing.

Back