Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Are the water and lit rink features new since the revitalization? I never really paid attention to this. Nice to see they're using the stage for some locals acts. Passed by last night

Are the water and lit rink features new since the revitalization? I never really paid attention to this. Nice to see they're using the stage for some locals acts. Passed by last night

I was wondering that too. I don't recall any in-ground lighting and I think there was a bit of a fountain at the west end, but it was really wimpy.

Seeing how the water features have come along, I'm wondering whether Mayor Ford was on crack or something when he made his splash-pad suggestion...hey, waitaminnit...

9101126104_793e232217_b.jpg

9101118420_58823c177f_b.jpg

9098889391_7f5986cf82_b.jpg

9098880831_b830cd5969_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ai Weiwei's sculptures are brilliant and fit in wonderfully. Too bad the Jazz festival and related advertising everywhere have trashed the Square. Great shots.

Agreed. I often find myself thinking this during installations at Luminato and Nuit Blanche too.

Indeed, and I have a feeling that such a hypothetical purchase will be The Archer redux. These are the public art installations we should be getting from the 1% public art contribution.

AoD

I wanted the red balls from Luminato in the Lambert Galleria to stay there forever… and the year that Yonge Dundas Square was covered with those "balloons" was great: they should return every year.

I suspect that Ai Weiwei's Zodiac sculptures would cost more than the 1% available from most projects in this city…

but in the meantime, we really do have quite the collection of public artworks in this city now, and while no-one two people will ever agree on how they would all rank, one could find champions for every piece.

I wanted the red balls from Luminato in the Lambert Galleria to stay there forever… and the year that Yonge Dundas Square was covered with those "balloons" was great: they should return every year.

I suspect that Ai Weiwei's Zodiac sculptures would cost more than the 1% available from most projects in this city…

but in the meantime, we really do have quite the collection of public artworks in this city now, and while no-one two people will ever agree on how they would all rank, one could find champions for every piece.

I think that whenever the 1% contribution isn't enough to procure a significant, high quality piece of art, it should be diverted to a fund for strategic acquisitions such as the AWW piece. As to the bit about champions - I can say some unkind things about the execution of the piece at Elev'n 21 or Aura.

AoD

Back