Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

There is a small 2 story builting just to the North of the city hall, does anyone know if that is a city ownede building ?

From the Variances Report being discussed by Executive Committee on September 24.

The Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization (NPSR) project's capital expenditures totalled $1.778 million representing 9.1% of the 2013 approved cash flow of $19.513 million. The overall NPSR project was delayed as staff are in the midst of closing out the contract for Phases 1 and 2 and issuing the contract for the final phase of the project, which includes the relocation of the Peace Garden, landscaping work along Queen and Bay Streets and other work on the Square. Since bids for Phases 1 and 2 came in higher than expected, re-tendering the scope of work for Phase 3 was required. The contract for the final phase of work is expected to be approved by the Bid Committee in Q3 2013, with mobilization and work to commence in 2014. As a result, it is estimated that $7.891 million or 40.4% of the 2013 approved cash flow will be spent by year-end. The under-spending at year-end reflects the adjustment of project timelines that has completion being deferred to 2015.

There is a small 2 story builting just to the North of the city hall, does anyone know if that is a city ownede building ?

I've often wondered about that building as well. I assume it's city-owned. It looks like it might have the bones of much older buildings hidden behind a mid-century facade.

Wishful thinking: It would be great if the city would just demolish the building, close down Hagerman Street and Elizabeth Street south of Foster, and turn the whole area into parkland. It would be a great extension to NPS/Larry Sefton Park.

I can't imagine the city not owning the site as a municipal tower has been long proposed for the site.

I've often wondered about that building as well. I assume it's city-owned. It looks like it might have the bones of much older buildings hidden behind a mid-century facade.

Wishful thinking: It would be great if the city would just demolish the building, close down Hagerman Street and Elizabeth Street south of Foster, and turn the whole area into parkland. It would be a great extension to NPS/Larry Sefton Park.

Heh, I too have thought about turning that space into parkland.

Is it being placed elsewhere?
Yes, further north. Read back a few pages. The City has just sent this out!

News Release

October 9, 2013

Winston Churchill statue relocating to new location in Nathan Phillips Square

The Sir Winston Churchill statue that has adorned the southwest corner of Nathan Phillips Square since 1977 was removed on Monday, October 7 and is being relocated to the northwest quadrant of the square. Moving the statue was one of the first tasks as part of Phase 3 of the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization project.

The Oscar Nemon statue was originally presented to the City of Toronto by the Churchill Memorial Committee, aided by the generosity of Henry R. Jackman, O.C., K.St.U., Q.C., on October 23, 1977.

Reconstructing the Queen Street forecourt and sidewalk areas is also part of Phase 3 of the revitalization. To begin this work, the sidewalk along Queen Street West, immediately adjacent to the construction areas, will be closed.

A temporary pedestrian detour between Osgoode Lane and Nathan Phillips Square will open as an alternative to the closed sidewalk along Queen Street West. Signage will be in place to redirect pedestrian traffic accordingly.

The temporary pedestrian management plan was prepared to maintain the pedestrian flow into and out of the square and along Queen Street West during construction. It is anticipated that the closure of the main sidewalk and the alternate temporary pedestrian detour route will remain in place until January 2014.

Completion of the Phase three construction is estimated to be the end of 2014. More information is available at http://www.toronto.ca/nps.

Last edited:
I've been anxiously awaiting phase 3 since Plant's design was chosen. The Queen Street forecourt will dramatically alter the way Queen Street interacts with Nathan Phillips Square. It's going to create a wide open welcoming mat into the square, allowing it to be more porous which will result in more people coming in. The lawn which was always in an embarrassing state of muddy disrepair was never used and only served as a barrier. The vent did the same. With both gone, I predict that this new Queen Street forecourt will be well used by street performers and office workers having their lunch.

A bonus hope is that it'll encourage the neighbours across the street (mainly the Sheraton Hotel) to open up their street wall and finally end the dead street presence between Bay & York. The Sheraton did have plans to re-locate their offices to another floor and use their Queen Street front for a restaurant, cafés and shops but I understand that this is not a part of their current ongoing redevelopment.

Here's a reminder what it'll look like:

npspai_resto1_6.jpg

npspai_overview-day-note.jpg

Last edited:
Any word, MetroMan, if the buildings are still going to be pressure washed? The exterior of the council chamber is filthy. Also, are there still plans to reclad the elevated walks with the same material used on the skaking/snack building? Lastly, is the Queen St parking ramp going to remain? That's such a waste of space and an eyesore. What's the need for having 4 ramps to access the underground garage?

Sorry, one more thing -- is the walkway over Queen St -- connected to the Sheraton -- going to come down? Hasn't it been closed off for several years, with no plans on reopening it?

Last edited:
Any word, MetroMan, if the buildings are still going to be pressure washed? The exterior of the council chamber is filthy. Also, are there still plans to reclad the elevated walks with the same material used on the skaking/snack building? Lastly, is the Queen St parking ramp going to remain? That's such a waste of space and an eyesore. What's the need for having 4 ramps to access the underground garage?

Sorry, one more thing -- is the walkway over Queen St -- connected to the Sheraton -- going to come down? Hasn't it been closed off for several years, with no plans on reopening it?

A lot of questions, most of which don't have solid answers but I'll try:

The city absolutely intends to clean up City Hall's exterior when the entire project is done. An assessment was made around the time that they were finishing restoration of Old City Hall but it was deferred. I don't know where it stands now but I'm guessing that they'll want to have the main attraction -- City Hall itself -- looking like new when they finally cut the ribbon on the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization some time in 2015.

I don't believe the plans to reclad the walkways made it in. They were never a part of the project but would have made a big difference. Still, the walkways will be decked and furnished and cutouts made to open it to the space below and along sections of the sides facing into the square. At that time, it would make sense to reclad the remaining portions as some of the sections need to be replaced or patched up. The rabbit elevator entrance on Queen/Bay is going to be reclad to match the new buildings so it only makes sense to redo the walkways when that work comes up. I still have hope.

The Queen St. ramp next to Osgoode Hall is staying. I wish they would remove the one on the south side along the Sheraton. That one is a barrier that ruins the sidewalk friendliness along that stretch and is significantly responsible for the Sheraton turning its back on Queen St.

The Sheraton walkway is staying because nobody could agree on who to pay for its removal. One thing is certain: it's heading towards the end of its useful life over the next 10 years and needs to be refurbished. It's a complicated problem but I think the city will have no choice but to fix it or tear it down. Given past statements and intentions, I'm guessing they'd take it down.

I wish the thing would be torn down. It interferes with the great architecture in the area. It should either be made useful or removed.

Back