Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

What's the point of bringing in paid consultants, if they can't even get the bidding process properly done? A variety of food options should have been one of the main requirements, to even make a bid. I, like many people don't like burgers, so I will have to find another place to eat. I'll take Shopsy's across the street but I shouldn't have to leave the square.

So does that mean the upstairs deck will finally get some seating? (umbrellas?)

The whole thing about bringing in expensive, paid consultants for everything (including out of country consultants!) was also angrily debated since this administration mostly tossed out the idea of engaging citizen panels that can brainstorm and actually represent and make recommendations to Council of what Torontonians want.
Without a food court in NPS nothing is likely to please everybody. I like Hero Burger once in a while but I get that others don't. I also love french fries & gravy from that truck out front on Queen St. once or twice a summer, but agree that the whole mess of carts and trucks is an eyesore in front of our most important and treasured civic space.

I'll take Shopsy's across the street but I shouldn't have to leave the square.

Well, imagine the inadvertent uproar if they agreed to bring Shopsy's *into* the Square, given the Ford-ness of the logo

CA329355

Brilliant! Don't ever leave UT adma, I still miss UrbanShocker and a few other really knowledgeable contributors along with the edgy humour they'd bring on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tender for Phase 3 of the project closes next week.
Call number: 67-2013

Work under this contract cover the following major items:
Peace Garden Completion
Southwest (SW) Quad Landscape
Queen Street Forecourt (including Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) ramp railing, and furniture)
Rabbit Stair Building Refurbishment
Animal Stairs
Northwest (NW) Quad Entrance (including the Winston Churchill statue relocation and the Star Trek benches)
Square Furniture

Wow, the tender has not even been accepted yet? You would have thought this would have been done years ago. I walk past the Square every day and it continues to amaze me how slow this project has gone.

Last edited:
alklay:

Indeed, and got to love how much the person with the big office facing the square has done to speed up the process. Guess no one called him about it?

If you can't even fix your own front yard...

AoD

picard102:

Just because he opposed a project doesn't mean he, as the elected representative of the city, doesn't have an interest in the speedy completion of such. An analogy would be that he actually voted against the currently ongoing Union Station project. Does it meant that he, as the chief magistrate of the city, has absolutely no interest in ensuring that the project is completed on time and budget? He certainly cared enough to show up at the photo-ops and say very nice things about the project after the fact.

AoD

Wow, the tender has not even been accepted yet? You would have thought this would have been done years ago. I walk past the Square every day and it continues to amaze me how slow this project has gone.

This was always a multi-year project and it is normal to tender each phase of projects like this separately. Most contractors would not tender for a project several years in the future and as this tender closes in a few days I bet they contract will be awarded by early June.
This does not look like major work to me, but will deal with more of the problem areas.

The schedule we got here at work says that work on this phase will begin in late June or early July and continue until some time in 2014.

This was always a multi-year project and it is normal to tender each phase of projects like this separately. Most contractors would not tender for a project several years in the future and as this tender closes in a few days I bet they contract will be awarded by early June.
This does not look like major work to me, but will deal with more of the problem areas.

Exactly. A tender for construction is not to be confused with planning, engineering work, etc. Once an applicant is selected, it's not long before they can get to work. The Peace Garden is most recently scheduled to be complete before the Fall and the Queen forecourt is to be ready in a year from now. Most construction work on the tendered items are going to start construction in the next couple of months. Spring 2014 is still the targeted completion date of most (all?) of the work.

Thats just the strange effect you get from stitching several wide angle shots together. The field of view from this stitch is wider than 200 degrees so shapes get stretched to compensate, making the square look a lot bigger than it actually is. Look close and you can see my shadow at the bottom left.

Back