Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I'd prefer to see more bold, really creative and superbly executed works of public art even if there are less of them than a token work to satisfy the 1% requirement with every project.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5H 2N1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 197489 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 2, 2013

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for take-out restaurant (Hero Certfied Burgers) - no seating - at existing building on the south-west corner of Nathan Philips Square

I think that whenever the 1% contribution isn't enough to procure a significant, high quality piece of art, it should be diverted to a fund for strategic acquisitions such as the AWW piece. As to the bit about champions - I can say some unkind things about the execution of the piece at Elev'n 21 or Aura.

AoD

And ROCP and those "drill bits' across the street. Cityplace has some very fine public art however.

How can you not love these sculptures? I wish that they were permanent, too! I can't envision them in a more appropriate setting. It really is perfect here for them in NPS.

July 21

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1267-001.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1283-001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_1267-001.jpg
    IMG_1267-001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_1283-001.jpg
    IMG_1283-001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,130
From City of Toronto:

Third phase of Nathan Phillips Square's revitalization starts Monday

Construction for Phase 3 of the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization project will begin on Monday, August 26, with the installation of the construction hoarding at the southwest end of the square along Queen Street West.

Phase 3 construction will include:
- revitalizing the Queen Street West forecourt with an improved pedestrian environment that includes beautified hard and soft landscaping
- completing the relocated Peace Garden
- moving the Sir Winston Churchill statue to the northwest quadrant of the square
- refurbishing the Toronto Parking Authority's elevator building and animal-theme stairs that lead to the parking garage, and
- landscaping the southwest quadrant of the square.

This phase of the construction will be completed in two stages to minimize the impact on vehicular traffic and pedestrians in the vicinity of the square, accommodate existing street food vendor trucks and sidewalk food vendors along the site's Queen Street frontage, and accommodate scheduled events on Nathan Phillips Square with minimum disruption to activities on the square.

A pedestrian plan will be implemented to maintain pedestrian flow into and out of the square. Pedestrians should be mindful of directional signs.

Completion of the Phase 3 construction is estimated to be at the end of 2014. More details about the project are available at http://www.toronto.ca/nps.

Aug 25

Part of the Phase 3 work (including relocated Peace Garden here) to be completed:

IMG_0095.jpg

Digging the prairie plants on the Green Roof:

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's a furniture plan for the square? Seems to be the only thing lacking. The random picnic tables in the centre of the square are kinda lame and cheap looking.

As are the standard-issue plastic rolling garbage bins, which also blight other high-design parks like the one in front of 18 Yorkville. Given the amount that gets spent on making these spaces look appealing, the apparent indifference with which those get scattered about is pretty jarring and a sign that we still have a long way to go to build a culture that respects them. Along with exposed hydro wires, these are my number-1 Toronto aesthetic pet peeve.

Back