Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

You asked if there was any info on the project when it normally will be posted when something happens. Among us longtime UT'ers it's a letdown when posters see a new post on a thread and it turns out to be nothing.

But someone forgot to post a press release in April as some later mentioned so I guess it can serve as a reminder, although that rarely happens.

Still trying to decide what's more idiotic: naming a station "Black Creek Pioneer Village" (especially when it's almost 1km away), or naming a location that currently has one big box store, a parking lot, and a bunch of empty fields a "metropolitan centre".

It's also unfortunate that of all the stations to give a really long name, they picked the one that's name is actually built into its architecture.

Still trying to decide what's more idiotic: naming a station "Black Creek Pioneer Village" (especially when it's almost 1km away), or naming a location that currently has one big box store, a parking lot, and a bunch of empty fields a "metropolitan centre".

It's also unfortunate that of all the stations to give a really long name, they picked the one that's name is actually built into its architecture.

I think they should rename the St. Patrick Station, on the University line, to the Art Gallery of Ontario Station. Its closer than Black Creek Pioneer Village is to the Black Creek Pioneer Village Station, if they go with that name.

I read a post in another thread yesterday that noted it was 450m away.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-(including-fantasy-maps)?p=749281#post749281

Basically it's a 10 minute walk through York University's campus to get from the station to Black Creek Pioneer Village. From a distance point of view, it would have been better to call it York University North. (From the north entrance: http://goo.gl/maps/loa0h; and the south entrance: http://goo.gl/maps/kd8to)

But it's also the length of the name that's annoying. Just like it's "Museum Station" rather than "Royal Ontario Museum Station", I would have preferred "Black Creek Station" or "Pioneer Station".

Edit: I saw the earlier suggestion that BCPV could build a separate entrance right at Steeles and Murry Ross Pkwy, which would cut the walk down to 500m/5mins. However most museums/zoos/etc hate to have multiple entrances because it means they have to double up on the staff, and half their visitors won't get routed through the curated entrance pavilion (not to mention pass the gift shop on the way out).

Another edit: I just have a general aversion to branding schemes taking priority in the naming of subway stations (and other infrastructure). Once we start naming stations after all of the government's pet branding projects (it's not enough to call it Vaughan Centre, it has to be Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to make Vaughan seem like an important city), what's to stop us from doing the same thing for the private sector? After all, Fairview Mall station actually makes a heck of a lot more sense when you think of where Don Mills station is located and why it was built. And once we have Fairview Mall station and (maybe) Sherway Gardens station, why not Ikea station?

Last edited:
Once we start naming stations after all of the government's pet branding projects (it's not enough to call it Vaughan Centre, it has to be Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to make Vaughan seem like an important city), what's to stop us from doing the same thing for the private sector? After all, Fairview Mall station actually makes a heck of a lot more sense when you think of where Don Mills station is located and why it was built. And once we have Fairview Mall station and (maybe) Sherway Gardens station, why not Ikea station?

Money stops us. Vaughan kicked in a few hundred million to build their portion of the subway.

Nobody from the private sector has proposed paying anything close to that. Actually, if we could get $200M per station for naming, then I would probably be in favour of Fairview Mall Station, as that is enough to build the station and maintain it for a century.

After all, Fairview Mall station actually makes a heck of a lot more sense when you think of where Don Mills station is located and why it was built. And once we have Fairview Mall station and (maybe) Sherway Gardens station, why not Ikea station?

I agree....next thing you know there would be a Yorkdale Station or something stupid like that ;)

Money stops us. Vaughan kicked in a few hundred million to build their portion of the subway.

Nobody from the private sector has proposed paying anything close to that. Actually, if we could get $200M per station for naming, then I would probably be in favour of Fairview Mall Station, as that is enough to build the station and maintain it for a century.

I agree....next thing you know there would be a Yorkdale Station or something stupid like that ;)

If it were implemented, then the TTC should charge Oxford Properties $200M for Yorkdale Station (since it has been given its name as early as in 1978).

Trying to wrap my head around "Black Creek Pioneer Village" emblazoned on an uber-modern, world-class architect designed subway station.

Back