Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Presto doesn't care - at least, it doesn't now when you're using it on the other 905 systems using Presto now.
I agree. But some here are saying that Presto can handle the current TTC transfer rules, which won't change. And that's the point I was trying to make. Hopefully they all come to their senses and never try and electronically implement the current transfer rules (and I think they will).

We aren't going to have a good fare system until we change the paid fare zone structure found in stations to capture the data required. In my opinion you need to go to a system where local transit buses and streetcars are not in the paid fare zone and you tap on but not off of them, for GO bus you tap on and off always right next to the driver, and for GO rail and subway you have enter and exit turnstiles requiring tap in and tap out. That gives you the full flexibility required to implement a system people would consider fair. With time based systems that work based on the first tap in you would end up changing people more for getting in a bus that ends up stuck in the traffic jam of the century and the person finally reaches the transfer point but the time has expired, but charging less to the person who hopped on a bus that was flying down the street providing a great service and who transferred to a vehicle far far away from his point of origin. A truly fair system is one where increased speed and increased distance are more expensive, and decreased speed and decreased distance are cheaper.

nfitz's point was that the TTC's *current* transfer rules would be very difficult to implement on Presto.

If the TTC wanted to maintain its *current* rules, it might still not allow boarding a second vehicle on the same route (the Presto data does show what vehicle you boarded and what route it is assigned to), thus preventing short round trips and same-route stopovers, but in that case, special transfers would then have to be issued for unscheduled short-turns and vehicle issues.

It would be more difficult for the TTC to require someone using Presto boarding the first available connecting vehicle or determining if a transfer is at a valid point or not, so I expect some flexibilty, if not finally allowing a full 90 or 120 minutes of "unlimited" rides upon initial tap-on.

Ah ... generally I'd agree - and that's what they've said. Though I'm not sure that would actually true when they start trying to program in TTC's arcane transfer rules ...

How would you program Presto to handle transfers from a 504 to a 22 that happen, when suddenly a 504 northbound on Broadview is sent east on Gerrard to Coxwell loop, because of an accident just north of Gerrard and Broadview. A previously unallowed transfer (direct from a 504 to a 22, without taking a 501, 502, or a 506 in between) suddenly becomes allowed.

I'd do the same as you see in places like London (or rather a variation). Fixed cost for surface/bus routes. Variable for subways/long-haul trains. Combine that with a time based transfer. For example. Pay $2 to get on the Sheppard bus. Gives you 1.5 hrs to finish your trip. You only tap to verify that you have time left when you transfer. How many times your transfer or break your trip is irrelevant. Once you tap on to the subway, you start getting the variable on top of the base fare already paid (think of this as a speed/convenience premium). Once you tap off the subway to get into the bus hall at a subway station you again have 1 hour to complete your trip.

Last edited:
Seems a little sensationalistic, no? It makes it sound like we're living in Antarctica or something. Though the swelling rock is interesting.

Yeah, I remember laughing when I saw that. Toronto has some of the wimpiest winters in Canada, next to the BC coast. In Toronto, 10cm of snow is "snowmageddon". Know what that's called in Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, or Winnipeg? Tuesday.

In Toronto, 10cm of snow is "snowmageddon". Know what that's called in Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, or Winnipeg? Tuesday.
That's an interesting meme, but reality differs somewhat. I heard a lot of whining in the media about snow clearance in Montreal this year. Also start checking how many snow days are declared in Toronto compared to other public school boards. Torontonians seem to be able to get around their city in the snow better than you see in many "cities" like Vaughan.

^Yeah. And at least Toronto doesn't drop the f-bomb from its twitter account every time it snows. Get a grip, Vaughan!

That clip is made by ignorant Americans who care more about increasing viewership than accuracy. Cue the ancient aliens!
Ancient_aliens.png

Toronto is cold by Los Angeles standards. Toronto is mild by Winnipeg standards.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember laughing when I saw that. Toronto has some of the wimpiest winters in Canada, next to the BC coast. In Toronto, 10cm of snow is "snowmageddon". Know what that's called in Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, or Winnipeg? Tuesday.
They could have made the same video about Chicago, complete with isostatic rebound, and maybe minus the ravines, and they wouldn't have put nearly as frosty a look on it.

Back