Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Until this is built, there's still time to change the name back...

The TTC's initial messaging, when they were kicking these name changes around forever (especially VMC vs VCC) was that they needed to know early in the process; had to do with the tenders or the design or whatever. Maybe that's bullshit and it seems like they should still have time to redo signage etc. but it's possible that ship has actually sailed by now. Certainly, the design changes in that 7/24 report suggest we're at that point for good.

I think "Black Creek" would have been a decent compromise. Last time I drove by York I noticed that, yeah, it's a bit of a hike to from the station to the village. Since it's a "nice," TRCA park instead of an Ikea, I don't relaly have a problem with the branding. It just seems like Steeles West was perfectly fine. I guess their revised lettering works, more or less but, I dunno...

Generally, with these new names the TTC has ended its policy of trying to opt for intersection names instead of place names but as long as they're genuine landmarks, I don't think there's anything wrong with VMC (aside from the sheer length) or Casa Loma or Museum etc. With Black Creek there's botht he length issue and the fact that visitors will emerge and look around and wonder where the hell the pioneers are at.

VMC may strike some as a ridiculous name for an empty field but it's aspirational. It's an attempt to do something bold and the name fits with that idea. BCPV is just....weird.

Last edited:
VMC may strike some as a ridiculous name for an empty field but it's aspirational. It's an attempt to do something bold and the name fits with that idea. BCPV is just....weird.

Aspirational is... one way of describing it.

VMC is what suburban people think big city people would call the station. But of course we wouldn't. It's dumb and deserves to be mocked.

If it were implemented, then the TTC should charge Oxford Properties $200M for Yorkdale Station (since it has been given its name as early as in 1978).

What else could you have called the station besides Yorkdale? There are no intersecting streets. Even if the subway had run on Dufferin St, for sure there would have been a stop in front of the mall, although since Yorkdale and Wilson Ave are so close together if the subway had been on Dufferin, Yorkdale could have been skipped, stop at Wilson but then have an exit at the other end for Yorkdale. Presently at Yorkdale, one can go in the other direction and exit at Ranee

Money stops us. Vaughan kicked in a few hundred million to build their portion of the subway.

Nobody from the private sector has proposed paying anything close to that. Actually, if we could get $200M per station for naming, then I would probably be in favour of Fairview Mall Station, as that is enough to build the station and maintain it for a century.
Where did Vaughan get a few hundred million dollars? I am just waiting for Vaughan to start complaining the name of the TTC should change from Toronto Transit Commission. Perhaps Toronto will swallow it up and it will become a borough of Toronto like North York, Eto,,, were before the name change to just Toronto

Money stops us. Vaughan kicked in a few hundred million to build their portion of the subway.
Vaughan paid not one cent. The money ALL came from senior levels of government. Canada, Ontario, and York. It's called the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) not the Toronto-Vaughan Spadina Subway Extension.

What else could you have called the station besides Yorkdale? There are no intersecting streets. Even if the subway had run on Dufferin St, for sure there would have been a stop in front of the mall, although since Yorkdale and Wilson Ave are so close together if the subway had been on Dufferin, Yorkdale could have been skipped, stop at Wilson but then have an exit at the other end for Yorkdale. Presently at Yorkdale, one can go in the other direction and exit at Ranee

There you have it. Ranee would be a good alternative name for Yorkdale station if the TTC were to implement selling naming rights (so that other businesses would not complain that Oxford Properties did not pay a dime for naming rights to Yorkdale station).

Last edited:
If Vaughan wants to build a metropolitan centre like Mississauga is doing and North York and Scarborough got underway years ago, then that's great. It'll take decades, but they'll achieve it. But the unwieldy name won't be popular.

If Vaughan wants to build a metropolitan centre like Mississauga is doing and North York and Scarborough got underway years ago, then that's great. It'll take decades, but they'll achieve it. But the unwieldy name won't be popular.
Just have fun with it then. Vaughan Metropolis Centre. Vaughan Megopolis Centre. Vaughan Mafia Centre.

I agree....next thing you know there would be a Yorkdale Station or something stupid like that ;)

Touche. However, arguably the term "Yorkdale" could refer to the entire neighbourhood. True, that neighbourhood is largely characterized by a mall that occupies most of its land area. But what I'm talking about is if Josh Colle or Oxford Properties insisted that the station be named "Yorkdale Mall Station" in order to promote the mall specifically (Or if the ROM insisted that Museum station be renamed Royal Ontario Museum Station).

My concern is when branding schemes overshadow the basic need for station names to be concise, informative, and representative of where they are situated. Yorkville Station meets these criteria. Black Creek Pioneer Village Station does not. It obscures the fact that the station is actually on York University campus, and was built specifically in order to intersect with Steeles Ave West.

Also, if Vaughan gets to call their station "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station", Scarborough should get to call its new station "Scarborough Best Place in the GTA Station"... said Glen De Baeremaeker. It's only fair.

Vaughan paid not one cent. The money ALL came from senior levels of government. Canada, Ontario, and York. It's called the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) not the Toronto-Vaughan Spadina Subway Extension.

Erm. Alright.

I'll word it this way then. City Councillors and the Mayor of Vaughan who represent the city at the York Region level, voted in favour of taxing the entire region of York (which includes property taxes on Vaughan households) in order to pay for a subway to Vaughan.

They got assistance from Richmond Hill who wanted essentially the same treatment with the Yonge extension and the Mayor of King City who wants improved bus service to the subway extension. Since then, the province has offered to pickup all of Yonge via Metrolinx.

I will gladly admit I don't know why Markham representatives went along with the subway to Vaughan. I-Metro-E appeared long after.

Last edited:

Back