Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

If they were going to do something bold, they could rebuild the cathedral in a Gothic Revival style as it's not really big or impressive enough for the main cathedral of a metropolitan city of 2.6 million. However, I'd prefer a new Gothic Revival cathedral somewhere else, perhaps on a grand new public square. Alas, religion has declined and we may never see such a project.

Not true. Xenu is all the rage these days! Church of Scientology is being completely renovated on Yonge :) Yeah, I know that's not exactly what you meant but still :p

Maybe the city could take up the task of completing the unfinished Cathedral of St. Alban The Martyr. Though it's a bit removed from everything to make it worthwhile. Heck, if they can take one hundred years on a Gaudi...
Or maybe we need an all inclusive city cathedral, not unlike the idea of the Stadtkrone put forward by german expressionist architects (esp Bruno Taut) after the first world war. Although it could be argued that the skydome and CN Tower perform the function of (secular) dome and spire in their own nifty way.

If the church in Regent park does come up for sale, there's no shortage of uses it could be put to. There'd be no need for demolition or a facadectomy.

Mainline Protestant churches might not be on a building spree, but I would imagine the RCC and other religious communities might be (though mainly in the burbs). The various RCC Archdioceses in particular does have a history of building some rather spectacular contemporary places of worship (e.g. Oakland Cathedral by SOM, Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels by Rafael Moneo). Let's not forget the Ismaili Centre out in Don Mills either.

AoD

If they were going to do something bold, they could rebuild the cathedral in a Gothic Revival style as it's not really big or impressive enough for the main cathedral of a metropolitan city of 2.6 million. However, I'd prefer a new Gothic Revival cathedral somewhere else, perhaps on a grand new public square. Alas, religion has declined and we may never see such a project.
As an Anglican myself who attends at least 2 Sundays a month, I've been to many such churches in Toronto and around the world (Manhattan, Bermuda, Anglo Caribbean, Hong Kong, etc). Here in Toronto if you want a big Anglican church go to St. Paul's on Bloor St. It's huge, by far the largest Anglican church in Canada. It's not hurting for funding, and recently completed a fantastic reno. The Toronto Star's Christmas Wish choir concert takes place at St. Paul's each November and IIRC fills the place the capacity (well over 2,000, IIRC). My own church is a much smaller affair, which I prefer http://www.stpetercarlton.ca/

In New York City the Anglican (Episcopalian) churches are centrally run and funded. This means that the finances of all the churches are pooled together and then dolled out as needed. This is a far more successful model than the Canadian version, where each church property is a separate corporation, where it succeeds or fails on its own financial capabilities. The problem with this model is that churches in poorer areas, where one may argue a church is most needed or can do the most good mission work, financially fail and close, while churches in wealthy areas, like St. Paul's Bloor St. are bringing in vast surpluses of cash. As for St. Bart's in Regent Park, they've got other challenges, but I assume the Diocese is given them some time to attract new residents to the pews before deciding anything. The building is not heritage designated, IIRC. The Slavic church across the way is ugly, and I often wish it would be bought and added to the park beside the new pool.

Back to Toronto, it is the United Church of Canada that is really struggling, and closing many of their churches, while the rest struggle on with mostly blue hairs. Of course one could argue the UCC lost its way when it became the "United Church of Everything" on both domestic and international affairs. But that's another story and OT from Regent Park.

Last edited:
Photos taken 18 May 2013

IMG_4462_1-L.jpg

I don't know if this is the beginning of the construction of the Central Park or just preparation for the Luminato event taking place here.

IMG_4464_1-L.jpg

IMG_4466_1-L.jpg

They are about to reach ground level. I was amazed at the intensity of construction in this phase of the redevelopment.

IMG_4468_1-L.jpg

Nice to see the Regent Park finally under construction. It's suppossed to be completed by the end of the year and scheduled for programing by next Spring. Should look great and be well used!

Went to lane swim at the Aquatic Centre today and it's an absolute stunner of a building.

Update I took while I was there:

regentpark3_zpsecb71c44.png

regentpark1_zpsb6f9c6f1.jpg

regentpark2_zps786dcc43.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics! The Aquatic Centre is such a cool building. Toronto Life mag listed it as No. 11 on their Reasons to Love Toronto Now issue on stands now.

It really is hard to believe the transformation here in RP: from a no-go zone to a family fun place and cultural and arts centre. Love it :D

Yes there was a great cross-section of the population using the swimming facilities today. It was great to see that :)

Extension of Sutton Avenue now connected to Sackville Street

B2LA7XJ.jpg

Work going on in the park

Planters(?) in north west corner

dbt5xl.jpg

Steps along Dundas Street

f19swk.jpg

Some images of the TCHC building at 230 Sackville

34e6lie.jpg

2u8ur95.jpg

Plot ready for townhomes

mr9rc.jpg

I received a notice in the mail that Daniel Corp wants to change the height of Phase 3 and 4. There is a public meeting on Monday next week where Daniels will present their proposal. I expect they'll want to make it higher.

Back