Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I read the comment Peepers, and you took a shot at TCHC tenants by saying that they expected luxurious finishing and that is why tearing them down would not cost less.

As to the real reason why refurbishment isn't cheaper, I don't know, but your cynical comment certainly didn't further the discussion.

Actually, no. I read the comment as well, and he just stated that refurbishing the old buildings would still leave them void of the amenities found in newer TCHC buildings. He added that residents *may* have come to expect those amenities by now (a logical conclusion to reach based on the first point he made). I'm sorry that it doesn't suite your left wing agenda, but there was literally nothing wrong with that opinion. Do you happen to be a TCHC resident? How can you be so sure what they do and don't expect? On that note, if they didn't expect such amenities, why are all new TCHC buildings including them, and why are there huge waiting lists for those buildings?

Anyways, in my opinion, this censorship definitely doesn't look good on UT's part.

DtTO:

No offense, but this thread is about the projects, not political agendas or opinions. I can tell you what doesn't look good on UT is when certain individuals spam project threads with their ideological - and worse, baseless musings. FYI, accusing others of having a "left wing agenda" as part of your argument really doesn't make it look good on your part.

I was simply stating a fact that the bar has been raised with the newer TCHC projects and that simply refurbishing this building wouldn't "cut it" for many.

Let's not be ridiculous here - considering the 7+ year waiting list for units, few if any prospective tenants will be turning units down on the basis of a building lacking "amenities" (BTW, social rooms also exist in many older buildings). Besides, if someone on the waitlist turn a unit down 3x, they get sent to the back of the waiting list.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm with AoD on this one-- most people who are in need of low-cost housing wait so long these days (due to under-funding and shortages) that they will happily take anything they can get. The only reason these buildings have these amenities is because there isn't enough public funding for low-cost housing, and thus, partnerships with private developers like what we are seeing in Regent Park, become the new model.

Fair enough Peepers, I just doubt that the amenities are the root cause of the financial differentials, and therefore as a point it seemed to be used more to criticize the tenants rather than anything substantive regarding the demolition. I certainly don't want to be cynical myself, so if I was wrong in my interpretation, I apologize. I too would argue that we need more housing, not a few new units of really fantastic housing (and I followed the Block 32 discussion, where I certainly thought that the 2500 square foot unit was lavish and overdone - two families could easily fit in there, while the price was certainly hugely below market value).

Actually, no. I read the comment as well, and he just stated that refurbishing the old buildings would still leave them void of the amenities found in newer TCHC buildings. He added that residents *may* have come to expect those amenities by now

Thank you for this post DtTO! I'm glad that you saw my comment before it was deleted and are able to confirm my version of what was in the post.

Fair enough Peepers, I just doubt that the amenities are the root cause of the financial differentials, and therefore as a point it seemed to be used more to criticize the tenants rather than anything substantive regarding the demolition. I certainly don't want to be cynical myself, so if I was wrong in my interpretation, I apologize.

Apology gratefully accepted!

Last edited:
I'm actually glad all the Dickinson buildings are being demolished. The way they met the street (a short 2km walk from their entrance) was a horrendous take on the "tower in the Park" concept. More like "tower in the national park."

No one doubts they meet the street poorly, but certainly there enough creative people here to do something with at least one of the buildings.

Perhaps this article will at least give you some idea: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-to-consider-what-came-before/article9146731/

from the article:

"If the elevators were not kept in working order as time went by, if mindful maintenance was allowed to slide, if poverty wrecked the lives of the inhabitants – none of that is the fault of the architecture, which embodies a style of serious social conscience that should never be forgotten."

TCH has made good on its promise: Mr. Burr said in his e-mail that the organization has initiated “three studies to determine whether there is any viable re-purposing of the building.”

“We know from market analyses and architectural studies,” Mr. Burr said, “that the building is not viable for a conversion to a market condominium building, and any efforts to modify the building to meet current energy efficiency standards will significantly alter the functionality of the suites, and the exterior of the building, thus eliminating the original design intent.”

Colour and life are appearing at Regent Park south of Dundas. Photo taken 8 March 2013

IMG_3491_1-L.jpg

IMG_3489_1-L.jpg

The foundation is being dug for the Regent Park Community Centre which is going in to the west of Nelson Mandela School at the northeast corner of Shuter and Sackville.

20120522regentpark.jpg

IMG_3490_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
I was worried about the TCHC building being a bit too all-grey/charcoal but that red is an awesome touch.

Not the first time Wallman has worked wonders with Red - albeit deeper this time!

Well I'm paying 1640 for a 1+Den in Paintbox

That is my mortgage on a 3000sq ft home witha 3000 sq ft bricked garage on eight acres with a barn, outdoor living area with an outdoor kitchen, fireplace screened in porch and eight person hot tub!

What are your neighbourhood's amenities?

Cows don't count so answer carefully!

Clear night time skies full of stars to watch while I relax in the tub. Listening to coyotes every evening. Dear turkey foxes and other wildlife in my yard. Four wheeler trails take me a half km to my lot on the upper Rideau Lake. Not too bad! That being said I go to Toronto constantly because I have season tickets for the Rock and like every UT geek to watch the construction sites and the people.

Back