Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

In CC's photo above, it looks as if the apartment building at the SE corner of Sherbourne and Shutter (nearly dead-centre in the photo) has a wavy balcony pattern going on, a-la-Market Wharf. But alas, a quick trip to the site via Google Streetview confirms that's not the case. Imagine, aA getting their inspiration for Market Wharf from a 1960/70's Moss Park, low-to-moderately priced apartment building. it isn't necessarily a bad thing either, as there are some nice elements common for apartment buildings from that era.

Hey all.
A blog post on what's wrong, and not so wrong, with those Dickinson towers.
http://www.nomeancity.net/regent-park-and-the-projects/

Good read. I like this shot here:

arban-one-cole.jpg

Photos taken 16 February 2013.

IMG_2870_1-XL.jpg

I had no idea that this has survived the redevelopement of Regent Park twice!

IMG_2872_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2876_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2878_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2883_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2889_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2888_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2894_1-XL.jpg

This is the rebirth of the middle section of Sumach Street that will reconnect the previously severed route that ran from Wellesley to King where it continues on as Cherry Street.

IMG_2895_1-XL.jpg

Hopefully the new street grid will help to guide what will need to be an extensive redevelopment of the first couple of levels of the Dickinson Buildings.

IMG_2893_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2887_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2897_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2903_1-XL.jpg

IMG_2907_1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, they are all going. TCHC decided that the cost to bring one up to code and the make it suit today's lifestyles was untenable. I'm sorry, I do not know what the estimated cost is, but I get that TCHC is under enormous financial pressure with their huge repair backlog… and my personal feeling is that is quite unfortunate.

I just noticed that a posting I made last night in response to the above post has been deleted!

What I am curious about is who deleted it and why? All I stated was my opinion that I thought it would be cheaper to refurbish these buildings instead of tearing them down and building them from the ground up and this comment has vanished? Why? BTW this isn't the first time I have seen my posts just vanish without explanation.

Peepers, you can't seem to make any comment without throwing politics into it and usually throwing mud at some left winger. (or someone you perceive to be left wing) Practically all your comments are slathered with your cynical politics, so I'll guess, and say that probably had something to do with it. You just can't seem to help it, you have angry (right-wing) old man syndrome and that sarcasm just keeps spewing out.

Peepers,

Nice try pretending to be the victim. You remember what you've posted, and it certainly wasn't as innocent as you claim it is. Given your track record, you are well past the "warn you before delete" stage.

AoD

I'm actually glad all the Dickinson buildings are being demolished. The way they met the street (a short 2km walk from their entrance) was a horrendous take on the "tower in the Park" concept. More like "tower in the national park."

Peepers,

Nice try pretending to be the victim. You remember what you've posted, and it certainly wasn't as innocent as you claim it is. Given your track record, you are well past the "warn you before delete" stage.

AoD

What I posted was completely innocuous. Interchange42 posted that TCHC was going to demolish the Dickinson buildings because it would cost more to refurbish them.

I stated the opinion that I believe that it would be cheaper to refurbish the buildings than it would be to tear them down and build new but that they would not be up to the standards of the new TCHC buildings [which I believe is the reason why they are being torn down].

Care to elaborate what was so terrible about my comments?

Last edited:
I read the comment Peepers, and you took a shot at TCHC tenants by saying that they expected luxurious finishing and that is why tearing them down would not cost less.

As to the real reason why refurbishment isn't cheaper, I don't know, but your cynical comment certainly didn't further the discussion.

I read the comment Peepers, and you took a shot at TCHC tenants by saying that they expected luxurious finishing and that is why tearing them down would not cost less.

As to the real reason why refurbishment isn't cheaper, I don't know, but your cynical comment certainly didn't further the discussion.

I didn't "take a shot" at anybody! I was simply stating a fact that the bar has been raised with the newer TCHC projects and that simply refurbishing this building wouldn't "cut it" for many.

Nothing "cynical" about that! (maybe you're the one being cynical!).

Last edited:

Back