Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

oooh so the "budget" of the project was 12 billion or so.
The contract was signed for 9.1 but the government gave 12.2 billion anyway.

sooo contracts dont mean shit? did metrolinx just be like "legally we technically can give you guys more but dont say anything"

i wonder if thats why the ontario line is so high priced. they just priced in like 30-40% buffer

I posted in the crosstown thread asking for fact checking on versters statement that the original budget was in fact 12 billion. And that theyre only 600 mil over budget.

Wikipedia says the contract was signed for 9.1 in 2015 so i dont know who to believe
That was only for the remaining work for Crosslinx. Keep in mind, that construction started back in 2010, and the $9.1 billion didn't cover any work completed until then - like the 10 km of subway tunnel. The TBMs. Design. The Bombardier Flexity vehicles (which went WAY up on price, because I assume that Metrolinx would have applied all the penalties that Mextrolinx had to pay Bombardier for reducing the order).

Also keep in mind, that the plan was that Crosslinx wasn't going to be dealing with the Line 5 platforms at Eglinton and Eglinton West stations, and that TTC was going to contract for that separately. But eventually they just went for a change order with Crosslinx.

And then what were the inflation assumptions in the original contract? I don't think anyone anticipated CPI getting so high ...

$600 million over sounds like a believable estimate to me.

Read my comment dude jfc.

Take out covid and take out the dumb line 1 underpinning and eclrt is ON TIME AND ON BUDGET so when metrolinx says it will open in 2030 add some small delays due to unknown factors and we have a project again opening ontime and on budget in 2031
What makes you think there can't be major construction challenges with Ontario line too, for example, at the interchange stations? Is it guaranteed there won't be another pandemic till 2031? Are we 100% sure the economy won't tank until 2031? Are we sure that the shortage of construction workers won't worsen?

Reactions: T3G
Read my comment dude jfc.

Take out covid and take out the dumb line 1 underpinning and eclrt is ON TIME AND ON BUDGET so when metrolinx says it will open in 2030 add some small delays due to unknown factors and we have a project again opening ontime and on budget in 2031
I have a bridge in Brooklyn that you may want to buy. PM me....

What makes you think there can't be major construction challenges with Ontario line too, for example, at the interchange stations? Is it guaranteed there won't be another pandemic till 2031?
Anything's possible. But construction at the interchange stations on Queen are already awarded. The construction of the Eglinton Line stations wasn't awarded until the end of 2015 - only 5 years before it was supposed to open, and I believe that Eglinton and Eglinton West weren't part of that 2015 award and were added later. Does anyone remember when thy were added.

What makes you think there can't be major construction challenges with Ontario line too, for example, at the interchange stations? Is it guaranteed there won't be another pandemic till 2031? Are we 100% sure the economy won't tank until 2031? Are we sure that the shortage of construction workers won't worsen?
how about because they went 40m below ground all the way through downtown?
sure the ground is so old down there there theres probably no records of some utilities, but nothing too complex.

heres another point, moss park, corktown and yonge are all being done (semi) cut and cover. especially yonge. that one could be very complex if they didnt shut down queen for 5 years.

how about because they went 40m below ground all the way through downtown?
sure the ground is so old down there there theres probably no records of some utilities, but nothing too complex.

heres another point, moss park, corktown and yonge are all being done (semi) cut and cover. especially yonge. that one could be very complex if they didnt shut down queen for 5 years.
You're digging a 40 metre hole under Downtown Toronto with some parts of the project tied to the GO work with a new bridge over the Don (actually, two) and four tunnel portals.

Considering the history of transit projects in this city, what could go wrong?

(I certainly hope that we’ve learned by now, but it’s Metrolinx, and the Ontario Line is a very complex project that even a competent agency might see some delays with.)

You're digging a 40 metre hole under Downtown Toronto with some parts of the project tied to the GO work with a new bridge over the Don (actually, two) and four tunnel portals.

(I certainly hope that we’ve learned by now, but it’s Metrolinx, and the Ontario Line is a very complex project that even a competent agency might see some delays with.)

When was the last time a tunneled project went off without a hitch in the city?

Id argue that the GO work and the don river bridges are the LEAST risky or complex parts of the project, the portals at exhibition have lots of room, same with the one at corktown which is being done cut n cover

What and when was that?

Back