Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I took these a few hours ago, on my walk to the ravine by Beth Nealson road. I haven't been in the specific greenspace in years, so it was very odd see how piecemeal logging is on this side of the street, toward E T Seton park. This area is just east of the OMSF planned in the old creek by the hydro field's bend, where tracks will be laid to get to Don Mills, before terminating at Eglinton and Don Mills.
I got to the area by quarter after 5, so I only went to Beth Nealson (after checking for my last geocache here).
20231016_175701.jpg
20231016_175706.jpg
20231016_175758.jpg
20231016_175812.jpg
20231016_175817.jpg
20231016_175915.jpg
20231016_180018.jpg

So the guy is just going to rely on the lease agreement he has with Hydro One? Curious how this works for those in leases.
I remember awhile ago a separate article about the scarborough subway i think where the tenants were yelling about they arent getting compensation?

So the guy is just going to rely on the lease agreement he has with Hydro One? Curious how this works for those in leases.
I remember awhile ago a separate article about the scarborough subway i think where the tenants were yelling about they arent getting compensation?
Sounds like an act of desperation, and a waste of the court’s time.

Sounds like an act of desperation, and a waste of the court’s time.

Agreed, but one should never assume that what is stated in litigation is what's really going on. The lawyers pick the line of argument that they like best, which may not be the agenda or what the parties are actually after.

Probably the court will send this dispute to mediation as a first step, where the true agendas may actually get aired and a solution that is not necessarily the technical legal line of thinking will be agreed to..... at a much lower cost than spending time in court.

On face value, and not being a lawyer, I am dubious that a court would deny a pretty reasonable case for a legal expropriation. But maybe there is some twist to the case.... or maybe the court would be more generous with compensation. Or pass the cost onto an unwilling party.... it's not clear whether Ml or Hydro One is on the hook here. So maybe the litigants think they will get a better outcome than what HONi or ML is offering today. And Hydro One or ML may have reasons for seeking a solution from the courts rather than just settling out of court voluntarily.

- Paul

Last edited:
Good to see the Ontario Line is moving speedily along!

Good afternoon,

Please find the attached construction notice for upcoming work at the future Osgoode Station.

Beginning as early as October 24, Metrolinx is conducting street light relocation near Queen Street West and Simcoe Street. Crews will be relocating two (2) streetlights on the west side of Simcoe Street to the east side of Simcoe Street to make space for future construction. Crews will also update four (4) nearby light fixtures on Queen Street West to the newest Toronto Hydro street light standard.

Work will take place during the day, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is expected to last five days. The westbound curb lane on Queen Street will be closed for the duration of this work. Work areas will be secured and clearly marked with signage to ensure pedestrian safety.

This notice is being shared with residents, community groups, and elected officials.

Please feel free to contact the Ontario Line if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Ross

Ross Andersen

Ontario Line Community Engagement Team

Communications Division | Metrolinx
770 Queen St E | Toronto | Ontario | M4M 1H4

Good to see the Ontario Line is moving speedily along!

Good afternoon,

Please find the attached construction notice for upcoming work at the future Osgoode Station.

Beginning as early as October 24, Metrolinx is conducting street light relocation near Queen Street West and Simcoe Street. Crews will be relocating two (2) streetlights on the west side of Simcoe Street to the east side of Simcoe Street to make space for future construction. Crews will also update four (4) nearby light fixtures on Queen Street West to the newest Toronto Hydro street light standard.

Work will take place during the day, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is expected to last five days. The westbound curb lane on Queen Street will be closed for the duration of this work. Work areas will be secured and clearly marked with signage to ensure pedestrian safety.

This notice is being shared with residents, community groups, and elected officials.

Please feel free to contact the Ontario Line if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Ross

Ross Andersen

Ontario Line Community Engagement Team

Communications Division | Metrolinx
770 Queen St E | Toronto | Ontario | M4M 1H4
Not everyone is too impressed by the planning! I fear that planning or consideration of others is not a Metrolinx strongpoint!

Hi, Ross.

Today is Oct 24. Giving notice at 4 pm the day before possible construction (1 hour’s notice) is NOT acceptable.

The notice does not include a map showing the location of the street lights being changed – old position/new position. The configuration of lighting locations on the north side of Queen and the location of any work area that may impact museum visitors or visitors to Relic Linear Park are of direct interest to the Sir William Campbell Foundation. Please provide this information by end of day today.

Please note that if you are closing the west bound curb lane, this will block the only access to the Campbell House parking lot.

Please also note that Simcoe north of Queen and Pullan Place create a one-way route. If Metrolinx is going to block the access at Queen, it must create signage on St Patrick that allows vehicles to travel the wrong way from St Patrick, east along Pullan Place, to reach Campbell House.

Will the closures block fire access north on Simcoe?

Liz
Liz Driver
Director/Curator, Campbell House Museum
416 597 0227 ext. 3
1822 - 2022 Celebrating 200 years as a Toronto landmark

Progress pictures of Exhbitiion via this tweet.

Check out this bird’s-eye view of the future north headhouse (or station entrance) at Exhibition Station. This entrance is being built further north on Atlantic Ave. and will connect to 40 metres of new, extended passenger tunnel. #OntarioLine #ExhibitionStation [📸:mad:HDR_Inc]

[note: had to screenshot the photos from the tweet because UT said the files were too big]

1698176578979.png

1698176597238.png

I took these a few hours ago, on my walk to the ravine by Beth Nealson road. I haven't been in the specific greenspace in years, so it was very odd see how piecemeal logging is on this side of the street, toward E T Seton park. This area is just east of the OMSF planned in the old creek by the hydro field's bend, where tracks will be laid to get to Don Mills, before terminating at Eglinton and Don Mills.
I got to the area by quarter after 5, so I only went to Beth Nealson (after checking for my last geocache here).
View attachment 513599

I'm saddened by the clear cut here. Portions of the forest here had rare plants, including Red Trillium which you don't see often in Toronto.

Before the same tired poster moans about the insignificance of trees and suggests I want to cancel the Ontario Line.......................

Of course, I don't; I just wish it followed a proper alignment (Overlea, yes, in a tunnel) so the devastation could have been significantly reduced.) Water under the proverbial bridge.

Speaking of clearcuts, here's a new pic, uncredited, posted by Floyd Ruskin over in the Beauty of the Don FB group showing what used to be a nice slice of Crother's Woods:

1698254739303.png

Source: https://scontent.fykz1-2.fna.fbcdn....cOJkSMrcY53a9_VT04vwpFn6Gb1ooIBuw&oe=653D8388

I feel less bad about this one, in as much as even if the line were tunnelled on the north side of the valley, a great deal of this would have been cut for a bridge across the valley, though maybe we would have saved the top 25M of the slope to Milwood.

I agree NorthernLight.
And while I think Metrolinx chose just about the best site they could have for this OSMF, I still feel like it should've been located further west toward Millwood to minimize the environmental impacts of this line, where it could then tunnel underneath Millwood, rather than building bridges over the ravines here, although I suppose the geotechnical/engineering work would've still beeen as difficult as it is now, just with less habitate loss in this area.
Regardless, this amount of habitat loss is still unfortunate. A lot of different species called these areas home, even if some areas being logged were degraded.
I'm very curious to see these new bridges under construction in the coming years, although part of me wishes Millwod could've been retrofitted with a steel deck underneath for this line. Although upon looking at the bridge online, its apparent this would be impossible.

Could it be that they preserved some of the rare species in a temporary greenhouse or somewhere else, only to restore as much as possible after. I remember reading something similar for the elevated portion of Crosstown West through the flats there. Actually they go as far to say that there was a need and a desire to restore the site once complete with some of the more native species having removed many invasive species that currently exist in the area. Doesn't preclude the unfortunate circumstances here but at least a silver lining?

Could it be that they preserved some of the rare species in a temporary greenhouse or somewhere else, only to restore as much as possible after. I remember reading something similar for the elevated portion of Crosstown West through the flats there. Actually they go as far to say that there was a need and a desire to restore the site once complete with some of the more native species having removed many invasive species that currently exist in the area. Doesn't preclude the unfortunate circumstances here but at least a silver lining?

While not impossible, highly improbable. That sort of thing would move through my circle and I haven't heard of it.

I'm saddened by the clear cut here. Portions of the forest here had rare plants, including Red Trillium which you don't see often in Toronto.

Before the same tired poster moans about the insignificance of trees and suggests I want to cancel the Ontario Line.......................

Of course, I don't; I just wish it followed a proper alignment (Overlea, yes, in a tunnel) so the devastation could have been significantly reduced.) Water under the proverbial bridge.

Speaking of clearcuts, here's a new pic, uncredited, posted by Floyd Ruskin over in the Beauty of the Don FB group showing what used to be a nice slice of Crother's Woods:

View attachment 515502
Source: https://scontent.fykz1-2.fna.fbcdn....cOJkSMrcY53a9_VT04vwpFn6Gb1ooIBuw&oe=653D8388

I feel less bad about this one, in as much as even if the line were tunnelled on the north side of the valley, a great deal of this would have been cut for a bridge across the valley, though maybe we would have saved the top 25M of the slope to Milwood.
The EA did not spot the Red Trillium? I am with you - these are fabulous plants to have in your garden or your wood lot.And luckily they can be purchased through some select nurseries specializing in native plants.

Tunneling to protect trees and forest is atrocious from a carbon perspective.

I know as a society we care very little about the excess use of concrete, but we have to start at some point if we're going to do anything about apocalyptic climate change.

Back