Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

It would be nice if we lived in a world where the same amount of hand-wringing was extended to renters who are evicted because their landlord wants to renovate or because the landlord's "family member" is moving in... for some reason homeowners are afforded more public sympathy. Wonder why.

These evictions definitely pass the Greater Good test for expropriation. I hope they take their ample compensation and find a home they love.

I'm not sure this needs to be made into an either or situation. Being unexpectedly evicted from your home is an incredibly drastic experience, whether you are a renter or a homeowner. Being a homeowner doesn't certify that you will be able to find a home in the neighbourhood, which could cause trickle down inconveniences: commute time could be extended, kids would be forced to relocate schools. If you have invested significant money into the property, that's money and labour you also won't get back. It's a mess, and my utmost sympathy goes out to anyone dealing with such a situation, renter or homeowner.

I'm not sure it does pass the Greater Good test. In the hands of a competent agency, sure, but I wouldn't trust Metrolinx to supervise a pencil for me, and I have zero faith that they will do the right thing in this instance, either. I echo the posts on previous pages that the only acceptable solutions to this problem are either to offer compensation well above market value for the immense inconvenience they are posing, or to rehouse them temporarily on ML's dime until the structural integrity of the house can be verified. If they kick them out now, and sell the homes that are structurally intact to someone else after the fact, that would be a big slap in the face, too.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where the same amount of hand-wringing was extended to renters who are evicted because their landlord wants to renovate or because the landlord's "family member" is moving in... for some reason homeowners are afforded more public sympathy. Wonder why.

These evictions definitely pass the Greater Good test for expropriation. I hope they take their ample compensation and find a home they love.

I don't agree that this discussion displays a lack of concern (or hand-wringing, if you like) for renter-landlord issues. Some of us care just as much about that situation, but that isn't what's at play here. (Perhaps the Star reporter could have tried a little harder, as I'm betting some of those houses have flats or are rented, so there are likely renters being displaced here also, and their stories are likely just as compelling thanks to the expropriation).

This isn't property being reclaimed for the greater good, it's really just being borrowed. Seems to me that is not a vanilla application of the intent of the expropriation process. A more creative solution should be considered as a matter of greater fairness .....the parallel is landlords sometimes offering temporary or permanent relocation during an apartment reno, and some of us certainly support that requirement. Maybe there is a saw-off where people retain first refusal on their property with some balanced financial arrangement short of buy back at an inflated market price.

- Paul

PS - If I were running things, my solution would be to apply the same kind of logic that applies to homes on Toronto Island, and to homes on rented land eg cottagers who rent lots from First Nations. Namely, I would treat ownership of the land separately from ownership of the structures.

The need for the residents to vacate, as a matter of safety, in unquestionable. The wisdom of not attempting to "coccoon" or protect the condition of the properties during the construction seems reasonable... beyond potential impacts from the digging, vacant homes are generally susceptible to animals, vagrants, mould, etc . It would be unreasonable to demand that ML maintain physical security, fire watch, etc on vacant structures throughout construction. Any post-construction haggling over the end building condition will just be messy and unsatisfactory to all. So demolishing the homes may be defensible as the safest and most expedient way for ML to get things done. So, let ML buy the homes from the occupants but leave ownership of the land itself with the current owners.

Any range of options - from paying only for the determined scrap value of the home, to the replacement value, to some form of rental support or living allowance for those evicted (renters and/or owners) - can be worked out. I won't take an exact position.

The point being, the current owners are given the opportunity to sell the land now, later, or to rebuild (which may take their own investment beyond what they are paid, or not, again, I'm flexible). And maybe current renters have some rights of refusal afterwards. Or not.

The point again being, while the need for vacating the homes is not in question, this is not a "vanilla" expropriation (where the state seizes the property to build something of public good on it, and the property thereafter is part of that something). So a non-vanilla solution is fairer.

- Paul

Back