Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

you mean because its Toronto right? (and we have this great inability to live up to expectations) What would be really funny is if those in power put up a render of some utterly bland piece of crap as a joke and we'd still see 50% of the people on this forum hailing it as the greatest thing ever!

I think something like Trump's 5th Ave building is what this corner deserves.

Last edited:
I guess I was somewhat off when I said "randomly" undulating balconies (rather than a predictable wave pattern), but otherwise it's more or less as I pictured it. The roof should slope off into a Ritz-like peak, albeit more subtle.

you mean because its Toronto right? (and we have this great inability to live up to expectations) What would be really funny is if those in power put up a render of some utterly bland piece of crap as a joke and we'd still see 50% of the people on this forum hailing it as the greatest thing ever!

That's true. People in this city praise medocrity all the time. We seem to care more about infill rather than beautiful aesthetics.

Preferably Trump World Tower.
Trumpworldtower_23may2005.jpg

I'm waiting until I see the other three sides, the base, and it's impact on the skyline before I make up my mind. I'm indifferent at the moment.

The other three sides are essentially the same. Incidentally, that's a strip of high quality curtainwall running up the building (the flat wall that doesn't have balconies), so it's by no means a cheap design

Surprised....

That more than few seem not to like this tower or feel disappointed. I love it. Show me another tower like this in Toronto?

Not that bad!

I wonder if the waves have nothing to do with actual waves, but instead evoke a kind of fluidity of motion, which is meant to symbolize the energy and motion that's Yonge and Bloor...?

As for the actual design...I'm reserving judgement...my first thoughts were 'wow', which quickly turned to 'geez this could be bad if the material is cheap and the podium is not done right'...

...but that being said, at this point I can say that whether I've decided I like it or not, it's certainly not ordinary...in the sense that at least it holds 'some' promise...

...and to be honest, I was actually expecting less...

...and this small glimpse is doing something I think is praiseworthy, and that is that it's evoking emotion...and a lot of it on here...and I think that's good... :)

I'm also waiting for a less stylized rendering but what I see so far seems pretty derivative of Aqua and looks more appropriate for Miami than Toronto.

Great job wylie.

I gotta say, I'm really liking the idea of a large hulking box anchoring the Yorkville skyline, even if it is a condo. Despite the hatred hurled at boxes on this forum, I think that boxes are what make a skyline feel urban. From a distance, they project a corporate image that every CBD needs.

Awesome sketchups Wylie! I think this tower looks less dated thn the old design with those superfluous fins. It's a classic boxy tower, like casa, 18 yorkville, and other nearby towers that are very admired on here, but it adds a new look that stands apart. It's not the most original design internationally, but there's nohing like it here. I really like he way it looks especially in wylie's pics. It will be strong and elegant addition to the skyline. I do get that because of the significance of the corner, people were hoping for a dramatic statement, like a nouvel. But great gulf is a populist builder, aiming for mass appeal, and I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how relatively dramatic they actually made it. I was also expecting less. I like it. I'm not mad crazy for it, but I'm pretty satisfied.

My first impression is that it looks interesting, but will age quickly. I'd like to see more, but I can't say I'm too impressed.

They should've just hired Liebskind to create a tower that could anchor the district.

Back