Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

wow, I know everybody has a different tastes and different opinions , but all this pessimism is incredible. those are just incomplete renderings, it'll probably look boxy from far, but it's definitively not going to look boxy from a ground level perspective. Which is exactly what this area needs, crystal blue, uptown, CIBC and the rest of the building are pretty square. 1 bloor will change that a bit, yes, the podium will be a big factor to make it successful or not, but that's why we have to wait and see more of it. It's just my humble opinion.

P.S : sorry about my english , I'm still learning :)

This looks much boxier than Uptown, which is not a box at all.

4352478457_bb63aed692_b.jpg

Love this view! It showcases the double-peaked Toronto skyline, which increasingly resembles the shape of the New York skyline. Aura anchors a growing third peak as well.

Last edited:
I hope the developers dont forget about the GINZA LIKE STYLZ that we would have gotten with the other designs. This intersection should be dynamic. It deserves it, as IT will once again be the most premiere crossroads of the city of Toronto. The Dundas-Yonge/Shinjukuish Area will now have it's Yonge-Bloor/Ginzaish counterpoint.

Love this view! It showcases the double-peaked Toronto skyline, which increasingly resembles the shape of the New York skyline. Aura anchors a growing third peak as well.

Let's not forget the fourth one south of Front street. Once Ice, L and the other proposals are finished, that area will be quite dense.

I was flying in over the city a few weeks ago and noticed that the skyline is taking on a T shape from above. The other thing I noticed was the growth of centres outside of the core is pretty amazing. North York and Mississauga being the largest, but there must be over 40 clusters of buildings over 15 storeys, in the GTA. Imagine if they were all built in the core (Sherbourne, Lake, Davenport, Bathurst), Toronto would look more like Sao Paulo. Thankfully, they're not.

Curves galore....

I just watched the video on their website. Still looks good to me. On a different note and I can't find the thread for it, but did anyone realize that the cladding started going up this week on the Four Seasons tower? Looked good.....

This needs to be a signature tower at this location and at this height. It also seems to have a large floor plate so I am hoping the architecture is worthy of the location and size. I am not sure a large box is what we need here.

I am not a fan of this design and Wyliepoon's rudimentary renderings make it even more hideous than it probably will be. Additionally, those sketch-ups do not portray the "Gently sloping" roof feature they have mentioned, which makes the render look even "boxier" than it probably will be.

Wyliepoon's rudimentary renderings make it even more hideous than it probably will be.

Translation into non-Grinch language: Thank you for taking the time and effort required in creating these renders and contributing them to this forum.

Last edited:
Translation into non-Grinch language: Thank you for taking the time and effort required in creating these renders and contributing them to this forum.

I do tons of renderings as well and I don't use a computer program that does the renders for me, such as Sketch-up.... I do them by hand, often pixel by pixel. If someone has a negative comment on my work, they are welcome to it.

I am not the only forumer out there that has remarked negatively to his rudimentary drawings. You should read the remarks at SSP and SSC. The word rudimentary may seem like a slur to you, but it is accurate. Without true plans or other views, Wyliepoon has guessed from the one render we have and extrapolated his guess... so that equates to rudimentary.

I'm in favour of putting a large spire on this building, like many of the signature towers in NYC have been doing lately. Something like the NY Times Building, Bank of America Building, or the Condé Naste Building. It would just give it that, something, that really establishes a sense of place. Anyone with me in petitioning for the addition of a +/- 200' spire?

Oh, yeah. If only to push the official height past 300m -- like the NY Times building -- and maybe have an official height greater than 307m ? :)

If cheater spires are good enough for New York, they should be good enough for Toronto.

Agreed, and I personally like the look of them as well; even if they are cheaters. It would really punctuate the Y/B skyline nicely.

Apparently....

There are people that you just can't please. This is a nice looking tower and it's different looking. I honestly don't understand how people are whining that this is just another box.

It's because this site is full of whiners. It seems that every new highrise design we see is greeted with a barrage of complaints about how they hate the design (always from the same group of professional whiners -- you know who you are).

I am an amateur whiner... If you would please tell me how I can get paid for whining, I will be a very rich man.

Back