Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

It's an interesting design, but it feels like it should be going up in some Miami beach resort or Las Vegas. Perhaps 'tacky' is the word I'm looking for. I'm eager to see some more angles of the tower.

I'm liking this first glimpse of Number One Bloor's exterior ... this looks WAY better than Bazis' 1 Bloor project!

I'm loving the curving lines created by the morphing shapes of the balconies ~

OneBloor1.jpg

What is that second building suggested in the rendering on the top left hand side? A reflection? Artistic license? A tease for a second building?

At first glance I like this, I look forward to seeing the Staff Report to get a better sense of the scale of the project and various elevations as we've learned not to trust renderings.

I know it's too early to tell, but I'm worried about the podium for some reason. It kinda looks like a suburban condo with a driveway.

I think I'm gonna cry... this is hideous! First of all its hardly original... clearly "inspired" by Chicago's Aqua. The curvy balconies clash terribly with the overall boxy shape of the building. It just seems way too contrived. Why cant anyone in this city design something that looks organic? And what do "waves" have to do withthe intersection of Y&B?

It looks like a taller counterpart to the Holiday Inn on King or whatever it is now. Pretty lame. The Bazis design was nothing special either but much more interesting than this. Hopefully the design review panel turns this design down.

I think I'm gonna cry... this is hideous! First of all its hardly original... clearly "inspired" by Chicago's Aqua. The curvy balconies clash terribly with the overall boxy shape of the building. It just seems way too contrived. Why cant anyone in this city design something that looks organic? And what do "waves" have to do withthe intersection of Y&B?

As my opinion is crystallizing, I do agree that the smooth lines the balconies follow are in blatant contrast to the building's basic shape. Even rounded edges would compliment that design element much more effectively (that being said, I think that might look incredibly gross). It will be interesting to see more detailed renders.

It may be "inspired" by Aqua, but it's quite a different take in my opinion.

I'm waiting until I see the other three sides, the base, and it's impact on the skyline before I make up my mind. I'm indifferent at the moment.

This is pretty horrible. Hopefully any additional forthcoming renders will help change my opinion, but if not, then I certainly hope that GGH does not cheap out on construction materials, particularly that of the glass used for the balconies. In either case, I'm not holding my breath.

wow, I know everybody has a different tastes and different opinions , but all this pessimism is incredible. those are just incomplete renderings, it'll probably look boxy from far, but it's definitively not going to look boxy from a ground level perspective. Which is exactly what this area needs, crystal blue, uptown, CIBC and the rest of the building are pretty square. 1 bloor will change that a bit, yes, the podium will be a big factor to make it successful or not, but that's why we have to wait and see more of it. It's just my humble opinion.

P.S : sorry about my english , I'm still learning :)

And what do "waves" have to do withthe intersection of Y&B?

That's a good question. The only connection I can think of is that the waves evoke the "Great Gulf" name. (If so, how lame.)

Great Gulf makes good architectural contributions to the city with their recent aA architecture, but more than recent calibre aA architecture was to be expected at Yonge and Bloor. This isn't as disappointing as I thought it would be, and with more detailed renderings to come it might enliven the intersection architecturally. The first rendering is in need of polish; the curves need to resolve at the top instead of ending abruptly as has been mentioned already in this thread.

One might say there's a great gulf between this design and remarkable architecture.

See what I did there?

Back