Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

The tower floor-plate isn't small, it's quite substantial. I can't see more than a floor a week, perhaps a floor every 4 days on the lower levels. Also keep in mind we have another winter ahead, Yonge & Bloor is a wind tunnel which could cause further delays/exterior work stoppages on windy days plus the higher they go the longer it takes to lift the forms & materials up and down for each level along with moving cement up - and this will be a pretty tall building. I can't see this topping out anytime before June or July of 2015.

Very true, wind may be a big factor in the speed of this project. Concrete wise, there will be a concrete pump inside the elevator core, this will free up alot of crane time, as well as a self-climbing wall system to lift the walls for the elevator/stair core without need of the crane for the elevator wall forms.

The size of the tower is not small, but not overwhelmingly large either it is around 12,500 ft2 total footprint.

On a previous project, Shangri-La tower which was around 15,000 ft2 total footprint, we were able to achieve 3-day cycles with similar equipment (minus self climbing core), they split the floor into 3 sections, so one is pouring slab, while the next is pouring walls, and the other is preparing materials all on the same day and they rotate through those stages every day (but with this one I think they only got on average 1 floor per week after delays/wind).

I do agree though that my Mar. 2015 estimate may be a little early since there is many factors that can delay the construction. I wouldn't be amazed thought to see long days/weekend work to try and speed up construction on this site and have 6 day weeks. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be amazed thought to see long days/weekend work to try and speed up construction on this site and have 6 day weeks. Time will tell.
Not sure about that...they used to work on Saturday mornings in the winter but stopped doing that a couple of months ago.

Very true, wind may be a big factor in the speed of this project. Concrete wise, there will be a concrete pump inside the elevator core, this will free up alot of crane time, as well as a self-climbing wall system to lift the walls for the elevator/stair core without need of the crane for the elevator wall forms.

The size of the tower is not small, but not overwhelmingly large either it is around 12,500 ft2 total footprint.

On a previous project, Shangri-La tower which was around 15,000 ft2 total footprint, we were able to achieve 3-day cycles with similar equipment (minus self climbing core), they split the floor into 3 sections, so one is pouring slab, while the next is pouring walls, and the other is preparing materials all on the same day and they rotate through those stages every day (but with this one I think they only got on average 1 floor per week after delays/wind).

I do agree though that my Mar. 2015 estimate may be a little early since there is many factors that can delay the construction. I wouldn't be amazed thought to see long days/weekend work to try and speed up construction on this site and have 6 day weeks. Time will tell.

Interesting. If I recall correctly, the floors are substantially thicker at Shangri-la along with higher ceilings in the top half or so of the building, so there was much more cement to move up there too.

Interesting. If I recall correctly, the floors are substantially thicker at Shangri-la ....

Shangri-la may have had venting ducts in the floors - this one doesn't seem to, as there appear to be small window panels, some with with vents, just below the slab. If that's the case, venting would be installed after the slab is completed - which could speed up pouring of the slabs.

Interesting. If I recall correctly, the floors are substantially thicker at Shangri-la along with higher ceilings in the top half or so of the building, so there was much more cement to move up there too.

Correct slabs were thicker, Shangri-La was half 230mm slab and half 280mm slab (also the slabs were cambered, which means they are an upside slope compared to a parking garage slope to drain, in the middle of each "bay" the slab is higher so when the concrete settles it will become flat)

One Bloor is 225mm slab throughout. No substantial cambers, and very little handset scaffolding/frames, almost the whole tower is covered by prebuilt truss panels.

Picture from today May 16, 2014.

They poured the concrete for the heavy duty load tranfer floor earlier this week and they've already slapped these wall forums and rebar up really quickly in the last 24 hours. Looks like it will move fast now. They have pre-built truss panels all ready to go. I think the the tower is going to start shooting up.

photo.JPG

(It's a real shame the UT limits the size of externally hosted pictures. Seems so mickey mouse that on a site that revolves around photographs that we have to stare at these tiny pics.)

Here's a shot of how close the crane swings to my desk. It's pretty awesome. It's no exaggeration within 2.5 feet of the building. I could jump across to it if I had to in an emergency. Really cool.

10300878_10154156980640297_6016263143115978845_n.jpg

SWEET. That picture is a keeper!

hawc and nahid: if you two could please move a little higher in your respective buildings over the next couple of months, that would be great. Have your boss/landlord call me to explain it all to them.

Thanks! The photos are much appreciated!

Back