Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Quite a bit has happened over the last 2 days.

2ic06jd.jpg

As always great pic LNahid2000. They threw that slab down fast, we should see some slabs forming for the tower fairly quickly, the truss panels for the tower are already pre-built on the south podium area, ready to start forming the tower floors.

Since there were a lot of delays this winter due to the extreme cold, i wouldn't be amazed to see 1 1/2 to maybe 2 floors poured a week starting next week (approx. 3 days/floor). This building also keeps a relatively similar (minus the waving balcony effect) floor plate all the way up to 75th... minimizing delays.

Ill take a guess that they will be at 75th Floor (pouring concrete - not enclosure/occupancy) by March 2015.

Last edited:
This goes for all people and all threads so this is not directed specifically at you DtTO but if one wants to share their disagreement of someone else's opinion, that is what this forum is all about. :) But to not explain specifically why you disagree with their opinion is not constructive and adds zero value. Regards, bgobgo

The basis for my opinion is simple and factual; podium glass is *always* better than tower glass. I don't think there has been a single exception to this rule so far during this "boom." Aura's lower tower cladding is nearly universally condemned on this forum, and yet Aura's podium has high quality cladding. The onus is on you to prove that this tower is different than literally every other building in the last 2 decades if you want to jump to the conclusion that high quality cladding will be used in this tower based on nothing more than the podium.

Edit: For the record, I maintain that I think Aura will look better, overall, than One Bloor East. This is especially true when considering the upper portion of Aura (cladding, design, and crown).

Last edited:
The basis for my opinion is simple and factual; podium glass is *always* better than tower glass. I don't think there has been a single exception to this rule so far during this "boom." Aura's lower tower cladding is nearly universally condemned on this forum, and yet Aura's podium has high quality cladding. The onus is on you to prove that this tower is different than literally every other building in the last 2 decades if you want to jump to the conclusion that high quality cladding will be used in this tower based on nothing more than the podium.

Edit: For the record, I maintain that I think Aura will look better, overall, than One Bloor East. This is especially true when considering the upper portion of Aura (cladding, design, and crown).

Huh? Just what is particularly high quality about Aura's podium cladding? I don't recall the use of premium materials like curved glass for one. And how come all of a sudden we went from quality of the glass to a selective take on "look" (not even quality and consistence of design and execution)?

AoD

Last edited:
^ I assumed we had reached a consensus that the curtain wall cladding in Aura's podium is "high quality." It is to me. Cladding quality is probably the single most important aspect of a building's "look" to most observers. Would you say that Absolute World (complex shape, low quality cladding and ugly, clunky wraparound balconies) looks better than Theatre Park (simple rectangular floor plate with very high quality cladding, and 2 sides free of balconies), for example?

^ I assumed we had reached a consensus that the curtain wall cladding in Aura's podium is "high quality." It is to me. Cladding quality is probably the single most important aspect of a building's "look" to most observers. Would you say that Absolute World (complex shape, low quality cladding and ugly, clunky wraparound balconies) looks better than Theatre Park (simple rectangular floor plate with very high quality cladding, and 2 sides free of balconies), for example?

Yes and no.

To a skyscrapergeek, I agree, that cladding and building materials often make or break a building and really reflect how well a building is executed; the quality.

However, I can assure you that your 'average', person would choose absolute world as the better looking building. Glass is glass to most people, many of which aren't able to discern quality and finish of the glazing used (like spandrel)

As for Aura. Yes the podium glass is still considered to be pretty sharp (it's a different type of glass used from the rest of the tower. ). When it was first installed it has a positive reaction... only to be ruined by the beige scrabble pieces and the spandrel mess above ( save for the curved section that nobody is able to see up close)

One Bloor is a much safer bet at this point. The curved pieces of glass are the same type that will run up the portions of the tower without balconies.

And there's even a question that this might not look as good as… Aura?!

Thanks for the pics Atlantis!

As always great pic LNahid2000. They threw that slab down fast, we should see some slabs forming for the tower fairly quickly, the truss panels for the tower are already pre-built on the south podium area, ready to start forming the tower floors.

Since there were a lot of delays this winter due to the extreme cold, i wouldn't be amazed to see 1 1/2 to maybe 2 floors poured a week starting next week (approx. 3 days/floor). This building also keeps a relatively similar (minus the waving balcony effect) floor plate all the way up to 75th... minimizing delays.

Ill take a guess that they will be at 75th Floor (pouring concrete - not enclosure/occupancy) by March 2015.

The tower floor-plate isn't small, it's quite substantial. I can't see more than a floor a week, perhaps a floor every 4 days on the lower levels. Also keep in mind we have another winter ahead, Yonge & Bloor is a wind tunnel which could cause further delays/exterior work stoppages on windy days plus the higher they go the longer it takes to lift the forms & materials up and down for each level along with moving cement up - and this will be a pretty tall building. I can't see this topping out anytime before June or July of 2015.

Glass is glass to most people

Very true steveve. I always point out the subtleties of different glazing to my wife, and I am always amazed how much she doesn't notice, or care.

People who are not passionate about a subject will form an overall view, without attention to individual detail, and that group of people is the majority that will view any building in the city.

I don't think it's as simple as "people who notice" vs. "people who don't notice". There's a range of levels of interest among people, as well as some people are just better at identifying WHY they like a building as opposed to those who are not very observant and may enjoy one building more than another but never have a clue as to why.

refreshing to see some curved glass in a Toronto building. Besides the SickKids research tower, I can't think of any recent projects with curved glass (does Ice have curved glass?)

Back