Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

you mean the roof of the second floor? that one is thicker presumably because it is the transfer slab between the retail levels and the condo levels.

30 December 2013: Curves could look good :)

yyhh.jpg

That's probably just a transfer slab for the 3rd floor setback - a transfer slab for the full tower would be much thicker than that (maybe almost a full floor thick).

We will see a nice transfer floor at 8th floor as well, with 5-6 foot wide beams, that are about 8 foot deep. with a floor height from 7th-8th of 21' to accommodate these. this will slow things down again for a while while they are transitioning from the lower podium "L" shape to the upper tower, but not as much as the 3rd floor did. since the 3rd floor was a complete grid of beams and much larger footprint.

We will see a nice transfer floor at 8th floor as well, with 5-6 foot wide beams, that are about 8 foot deep. with a floor height from 7th-8th of 21' to accommodate these. this will slow things down again for a while while they are transitioning from the lower podium "L" shape to the upper tower, but not as much as the 3rd floor did. since the 3rd floor was a complete grid of beams and much larger footprint.

Good info, thanks for this post, danwaring, and welcome to UT!

Interesting. So that's why the 3rd floor was taking forever. Seems to be going much faster now. The south tower has define form that just seem to be getting reused over and over again. I'll be looking forward to the eight floor.

First of all, I never said I didn't like the Massey Tower. It's a nice design, I just don't think it's anything special. Everyone seems to be fawning over it, and I wanted to know what features of the project people liked.

In my opinion, One Bloor takes that balconied box typology and turns it in to something interesting.
The wavy orientation of the balconies will be highly visible presence on this building.
Unlike One Bloor, where every floor has a unique baloney shape, the Massey Tower repeats just two balcony layouts back and forth up the tower. From afar, the wavy patterns created by the One Bloor balconies will be visible, while those of the Massey Tower will not anywhere near as much.
Also, the interiors have a fluid Zaha Hadid-like look that I find very interesting.

Back