Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Kind of concerning how no trackwork (aside from the flying junction) has started south of the 403. I can’t see this project opening in late 2024 as currently scheduled.
I don’t think anyone is expecting a 2024 opening at this point. 2025 is being floated around as late 2024 was just for completion and didn’t include testing.

Aug 8
Britannia Intersection is schedule to open Aug 16, but should be open by the weekend. The northside is ready for the top coat of concrete to complete the work.

Topflight is schedule to open Aug 16, but due to the blunder there, more like late Sept. They are rebuilding the barriers on Hurontario on both side of Topflight along with other barriers. Have to do some rework of the base of the guideway before track work can start. Using a different style of ties based on the stacks of them for the switches.

Noticed a number of areas where tracks have been removed and need to have a close look as to why. The light was getting poor as I drove by..

The guideway between Matheson and Barondale is ready for trackwork and that is it for the section from Barondale to Eglinton. Nothing close yet from Eglinton to the 403 for the guideway

As for Cooksville station, the tracks will just clear the footing of the bridge. There was a plan for a bridge across Hurontario with stairs to the planform that has been removed from the plan to date. This was to be a city project with the bridge on the northside with no room to the platform.

Kind of concerning how no trackwork (aside from the flying junction) has started south of the 403. I can’t see this project opening in late 2024 as currently scheduled.
Inside Info

18 months ago, contract called for completion and testing by the end of 2024 with the hope of service starting late Dec or Jan 2025. Phase 1 of testing was to start by the end of 2023 from OMSF to Matheson. This would allow the 600 km burn in as well training operators. Phase 2 would be expanded as more trackwork was ready for testing.

As we have seen so far, a lot of miss dates from weeks to almost a year so far and on record saying we may see operation Q2-Q3 2025 at this time. One thing will that will be the late, is the delivery of the first car schedule Q4 this year based on Ottawa issues since they will be the same car with the same issues at this time.

So far, there are only 2 substations for Phase 1 testing with no poles for the OS and this rule out any testing this year. Even the OMSF has no OS, other a bunch of poles with some brackets on it.

Supply chain, lack of manpower and screw up has delay this project by at least 6-9 months if not more so far.

Last edited:
Is there any design renderings for how the LRT is going to integrate with Port Credit GO? From @Tim MacDonald picture below, you can see that the straightjacket for the creek lines up perfectly with the new tunnels for the LRT's to go under the tracks. How does the exit from Port Credit station work for the LRT?

1691606962552.png

Also, can I add that this concrete monstrosity is such a shitty change from what was there prior to construction. Extremely green and the creek probably was a better sight to look at than now.

1691607412157.png

I know certain changes are needed for public works projects, but doesn't mean that I have to be fully happy about it.

I decided to do some digging on the creek. That creek segment has been fully artificial its entire life. It may look "green" in the older photo with trees surrounding it, but it was entirely channelized then too. It was created in the 1960s as a diversion for Mary Fix Creek, which originally crossed over to the other side of Hurontario and ran through the adjacent subdivision south under CN Rail, along Rosewood Avenue as what appears to be an artificial drain, and then diagonal south to the intersection of Hurontario and Lakeshore Road East (just north of the old St. Lawrence Starch Plant), where it continued under the road out toward Lake Ontario. Whatever the natural alignment of the creek was has been gone for a very long time, likely even as far back as the 1890s since that's when the starch plant was originally built.

The diversion was created so the Hurontario CN Rail underpass could be built. They chose to connect it to the even older Kenollie Creek diversion channel, which appears to have been unlined until the Mary Fix Creek diversion was built. Unfortunately for this section of the creek, it is destined to be channelized forever, given the fact that the road is lower than the creek and so much infrastructure is meeting at this specific area. A saturated local water table would not be ideal at this location. I am not really a fan of channelized creek infrastructure, but this is one of those locations where there is no other choice.

Ontario geology basemap - brown shows river alluvial deposits that show the approximate pathway of the original creek alignments, both for Mary Fix Creek and Kenollie Creek, which met at Lake Ontario before Port Credit was built. Yellow shows the extent of sandy soil in the area.
geology1.jpg

1954 aerial showing the original Mary Fix Creek alignment and the Kenollie Creek alignment with the original diversion.
geology2edit.png

1966 aerial with the new diversion channel and underpass.
geology3.png

Is there any design renderings for how the LRT is going to integrate with Port Credit GO? From @Tim MacDonald picture below, you can see that the straightjacket for the creek lines up perfectly with the new tunnels for the LRT's to go under the tracks. How does the exit from Port Credit station work for the LRT?

View attachment 498710

Also, can I add that this concrete monstrosity is such a shitty change from what was there prior to construction. Extremely green and the creek probably was a better sight to look at than now.

View attachment 498712

I know certain changes are needed for public works projects, but doesn't mean that I have to be fully happy about it.
You are in a flood zone and the existing creek could not match the 100 year needs and why it is today look. To do it right, the GO parking lot driveway would have to go as well not having the LRT there also.

I have been trying to get a look at the detail engineering drawings as well info for not only this area, but a number of areas with no luck so far.

What I can see happening at the new Englewood Intersection is the tracks entering the centre guideway from the southside right hand guideway to the station looking south. The LRV's will be given traffic light control over vehicles to exit/enter the centre guideway.

You can see the west retaining wall in place now as it will be part of the new westside sidewalk that is in between the LRT and the creek.

Aug 10
Had to drop some stuff off at Value Village and noticed a sump pump was doing an concrete pour for Bristol Intersection. After dropping the stuff off, head over to have a look at the intersection.

Most of the intersection was pour and they where placing concrete in the southbound track. I decided to take a look at Britannia intersection to see if it was open. It was not.

Not only not pour, but both tracks for about 15 feet that was connected to the first pour were ripped out including the concrete. If all the rail connecting to the first pour where tape and wrap for a concrete pour on Tuesday, what caused the rail to be rip out and be replace?? The rails are 80 feet long that will do most intersections, but Britannia is one of a few intersections that need 2 rails splice to do it.

It would be interesting to find out what cause the rails to be dug up on Tuesday. Will require 2 splice per rail in place of one to have things ready for the concrete pour. The intersection may open on the plan 16th now or be miss by a few days.

Going by Bristol on the way home, they just finished pouring the northbound track. Depending on the stripping of the forms, pouring concrete between the intersection and the road as well paving it, the intersection maybe open on Monday or Tuesday subject to rain.

The quality of control on this project is setting the project back more and more to the point I am expecting late 2025 or early 2026 with 2026 more likely the date for service now.

I cannot see the guideway from OMSF to Matheson in place this year as plan and most likely be Q2 2024. We will see the guideway to the 403 by the summer of 2024 depending what happen over the winter months, but leaves the guideway from Rathburn to Port Credit still to be done

The southbound traffic lanes from Eglinton to Hillcrest is done to allow traffic to shift to it to allow work on the guideway. They are only starting on the section from Hillcrest to the 403 and that should be ready by October or about.

I don’t think anyone is expecting a 2024 opening at this point. 2025 is being floated around as late 2024 was just for completion and didn’t include testing.
Brampton Transit is internally working on the assumption that the 502 Züm buses freed up by the LRT opening will not be open until at least later in 2025, as those are needed to launch the 504 Chinguacousy Züm. Now, this could mean the launch of the Hurontario LRT is significantly delayed, or that there is continued planned operation of the 502 alongside the Hurontario LRT, in case it is a disaster like the Ottawa LRT.

Brampton Transit is internally working on the assumption that the 502 Züm buses freed up by the LRT opening will not be open until at least later in 2025, as those are needed to launch the 504 Chinguacousy Züm. Now, this could mean the launch of the Hurontario LRT is significantly delayed, or that there is continued planned operation of the 502 alongside the Hurontario LRT, in case it is a disaster like the Ottawa LRT.
Mississauga will be still be running bus service after the LRT opens and expecting 15-20 minute headway 7 days a week. This is due the many stops miss by the LRT.

The delay of the LRT has cause the late deployment of buses off Hurontario to be use on other routes as well delaying not ordering more buses for the system.

Brampton has been an unknow plan, but was expecting 502 and 2 would stop at Steeles that would free up buses to be use elsewhere in the system.

If the line is built better than Ottawa as well Alstom redesign the shaft and bearings before the first car arrives, they will be no need for extra buses on the route like today. Late 2025 opening.

Mississauga will be still be running bus service after the LRT opens and expecting 15-20 minute headway 7 days a week. This is due the many stops miss by the LRT.

The delay of the LRT has cause the late deployment of buses off Hurontario to be use on other routes as well delaying not ordering more buses for the system.

Brampton has been an unknow plan, but was expecting 502 and 2 would stop at Steeles that would free up buses to be use elsewhere in the system.

If the line is built better than Ottawa as well Alstom redesign the shaft and bearings before the first car arrives, they will be no need for extra buses on the route like today. Late 2025 opening.
If we're retaining parallel bus service, it kind of emphasizes the missed opportunity to design the line with even fewer stops, and dare I say, proper grade separation.

If we're retaining parallel bus service, it kind of emphasizes the missed opportunity to design the line with even fewer stops, and dare I say, proper grade separation.
The current plan calls for Mississauga to run parallel bus service as the spacings are too far apart in many places as well a number of them generated enough traffic for an LRT stop in the first place.

There are a few stops today that should have stops removed for bus service.

Disagree on grade separations considering they work well in Europe being non grade separation. Traffic lights and left turns are the problems.at intersections. No such thing as turning lanes in most of Europe for LRT lines.

Aug 13
Two shots north of Eglinton while I was shooting the adjacent Canopy towers and Gemma Uptown projects

Looking North:
1692449012185.jpeg

Looking South-Intersection of Hurontario and Eglinton at the right of the frame.
1692449042375.jpeg

Aug 13
Two shots north of Eglinton while I was shooting the adjacent Canopy towers and Gemma Uptown projects

Looking North:
View attachment 501111
Looking South-Intersection of Hurontario and Eglinton at the right of the frame.
View attachment 501112
Replace those parking lots with high density MIXED development (including shops and biergartens) that includes schools, parks, playgrounds, recreation, cycling and walking paths,

Replace those parking lots with high density MIXED development (including shops and biergartens) that includes schools, parks, playgrounds, recreation, cycling and walking paths,
Those parking lots are all planned to be redeveloped and there was a new park recently installed on the north west side of hurontario and eglinton. I do wish Mississauga would consider some recreation centres not off the beaten path surrounded by parking.

You mean like immediately west behind Gemma Uptown and the other high rises where there is Fairwinds park, St. Hilary elementary school, Fairwinds Public School, and Cooksville Creek public school and the multi-use paths?
1692455938224.jpeg

You mean like immediately west behind Gemma Uptown and the other high rises where there is Fairwinds park, St. Hilary elementary school, Fairwinds Public School, and Cooksville Creek public school and the multi-use paths?
View attachment 501117
Would those current parks and schools be able to accommodate the crowds generated by the new development? Or will they have to create more?

Back