Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Would those current parks and schools be able to accommodate the crowds generated by the new development? Or will they have to create more?
There’s plenty of schools in the area but I think all of them have portables. They will need more schools.

The most recent school they made on elm street is already too small. I don’t know how they could have miscalculated so poorly.

There’s plenty of schools in the area but I think all of them have portables. They will need more schools.

The most recent school they made on elm street is already too small. I don’t know how they could have miscalculated so poorly.
Couldn't they include schools on the first two or three floors of some of the new condo towers. For high schools, they could go with more floors. Both could use elevators, allow use of their swimming pools by the condo development, and allow use of the playing fields or sports fields by the community.

Couldn't they include schools on the first two or three floors of some of the new condo towers. For high schools, they could go with more floors. Both could use elevators, allow use of their swimming pools by the condo development, and allow use of the playing fields or sports fields by the community.
I would think so but it’s not something that has been done out here yet. We’re building damn tall out here but sometimes I think the city councillors never leave their neighbourhoods to see how other areas solve these issues. The new school in the condo podium at Yonge and eglinton should be visited with a huge note pad. Instead here’s a look at our new urban school with two kiss and ride drop offs. Oh and notice those future portable locations!!! Why not just build the school larger to begin with.
F987F3F3-23D1-4EDD-A344-DA6C25A22C69.jpeg

I would think so but it’s not something that has been done out here yet. We’re building damn tall out here but sometimes I think the city councillors never leave their neighbourhoods to see how other areas solve these issues. The new school in the condo podium at Yonge and eglinton should be visited with a huge note pad. Instead here’s a look at our new urban school with two kiss and ride drop offs. Oh and notice those future portable locations!!! Why not just build the school larger to begin with.View attachment 501190
Where's the bicycle racks? Will kids even be allowed to WALK (oh the horrors) to and from school? Will the parking for the school staff be a taxable benefit, if "free" for them to use? If "free" parking is provided for the staff, shouldn't they provide "free" transit passes for them to use public transit as an incentive to fight climate change?

Last edited:
Where's the bicycle racks? Will kids even be allowed to WALK (oh the horrors) to and from school? Will the parking for the school staff be a taxable benefit, if "free" for them to use?
There is bike racks at my kids school. You have to look hard to see it with all the weeds grown around it. A good percentage of the kids are being driven and or school bussed to school. That said a large number walk from the condos and or apartments. But if you have a luxury car you’re more than likely being picked up because walking or transit is for peasants out here.

If "free" parking is provided for the staff, shouldn't they provide "free" transit passes for them to use public transit as an incentive to fight climate change?

Free transit pass means the School Board needs to pay the transit agency on the ongoing basis. Every School Board has a list of unfunded needs, and will not divert their limited funds to transit.

While free parking is built once and doesn't require any ongoing payments. The school isn't giving the staff free fuel or car insurance or car maintenance.

Free transit pass means the School Board needs to pay the transit agency on the ongoing basis. Every School Board has a list of unfunded needs, and will not divert their limited funds to transit.

While free parking is built once and doesn't require any ongoing payments. The school isn't giving the staff free fuel or car insurance or car maintenance.
But WKlis is correct that there are other countries which make free transit mandatory if a company offers free parking to their employees. That’s a good initiative and should be encouraged here.

Teachers are generally underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. Granted, there's many garbo teachers out there who see their work as just a job. But anyone even remotely suggesting paid parking for teachers is really tone deaf. Haven't we cut and pressured the public sector enough by now?

Reactions: T3G
Teachers are generally underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. Granted, there's many garbo teachers out there who see their work as just a job. But anyone even remotely suggesting paid parking for teachers is really tone deaf. Haven't we cut and pressured the public sector enough by now?
You're joking, right?

But WKlis is correct that there are other countries which make free transit mandatory if a company offers free parking to their employees. That’s a good initiative and should be encouraged here.

The education funding schemas differ across the countries though. Maybe that's affordable elsewhere. I imagine the Ontario school boards would make a big fuss, and then if still required to offer both or nothing, would block the parking spots rather than pay for free transit.

The education funding schemas differ across the countries though. Maybe that's affordable elsewhere. I imagine the Ontario school boards would make a big fuss, and then if still required to offer both or nothing, would block the parking spots rather than pay for free transit.
Not just schools, but all the city services in the GTA. If public transit is available, either provide transit passes as a benefit or have pay parking for the city staff.

Where's the bicycle racks? Will kids even be allowed to WALK (oh the horrors) to and from school? Will the parking for the school staff be a taxable benefit, if "free" for them to use? If "free" parking is provided for the staff, shouldn't they provide "free" transit passes for them to use public transit as an incentive to fight climate change?
As someone who grew up in York Region, my elementary school both had bike racks that fairly consistently got filled up, and plenty of kids who walked to school. In 7th and 8th grade I got sick of the school bus so I biked for 5km to get to school. Now get this: absolutely nobody cared.

The hurontario Northbound ramp to QEW east is closed and being reconfigured this weekend. They were laying asphalt when I cruised by this morning. No photos since somebody left the microsd card in the computer after yesterday's flight :(

You're joking, right?
No. Walter's being tone deaf if he's suggesting we should be forcing teachers to pay for parking when there's enough stress on these people, and workers in general, as is. And I say this as one of the more right leaning members on this forum.

And the mindset that another tax/fee is needed to fix a perceived issue must change. It's a very simplistic way of seeing things.

What would you propose?

Reactions: T3G
No. Walter's being tone deaf if he's suggesting we should be forcing teachers to pay for parking when there's enough stress on these people, and workers in general, as is. And I say this as one of the more right leaning members on this forum.

And the mindset that another tax/fee is needed to fix a perceived issue must change. It's a very simplistic way of seeing things.

What would you propose?
I’m sure the number of teachers who would choose to take transit versus a car is relatively low so it wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to offer an incentive. are you saying that it’s a perceived issue that there are too many cars on the road.

Back