Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

A new N/S route west of Hurontario, and before you cross the Credit? Which limits choices somewhat I think.

But at great expense you could join up Stavebank again (dating to the late 1700’s, Stavebank was an original connection to Dundas) and establish the connection that would then exist with Mavis Road. But you can imagine the opposition as Stavebank goes from a narrow two lane road, to a Mavis Road extension.

Or bring a connection from Mississauga Road ( just north of the QEW) through one of the better golf courses in Ontario, across the Credit Valley and join the Queensway at Glengarry / Erin Mills Station Road. Plus Regional Road upgrades to Mississauga south of the QEW.

Or both. Trust you are not contemplating running for the vacating mayor’s position in Mississauga with this platform!

Could be relevant:

I disagree with removing Walmart as its an major anchor for the mall. Since Walmart structure was build to be 3 floors, I would add that 3rd floor and convert the lower level as the main entrance.

The big issue is the entrance to the service tunnel for deliveries to the mall itself. One reason the LRT was removed from City Centre because of that entrance as well for Walmart.
On one side you argue that the mall should reduce in size. On the other hand you argue for Walmart expanding?

How many downtown malls have a Walmart in them. Calgary doesn’t. Ottawa doesn’t. Toronto doesn’t. Walmart is generally a suburban shopping place and can find a new home in a more suburban part of Mississauga.

I’d also like to note if you got rid of the Walmart the kariya gate road could extend to square one drive or rathburn making another north west street.

A09BE7A7-4A89-4CC8-8CBC-BD08FDD1A33F.jpeg

Last edited:
On one side you argue that the mall should reduce in size. On the other hand you argue for Walmart expanding?

How many downtown malls have a Walmart in them. Calgary doesn’t. Ottawa doesn’t. Toronto doesn’t. Walmart is generally a suburban shopping place and can find a new home in a more suburban part of Mississauga.

I’d also like to note if you got rid of the Walmart the kariya gate road could extend to square one drive or rathburn making another north west street.

View attachment 494631
It’s a good idea. But I don’t see Walmart leaving anytime soon

It’s a good idea. But I don’t see Walmart leaving anytime soon
A few years ago before the new extension opened they started not extending leases to certain stores. Toys toys toys. A few grunge shirt stores. Stores they basically thought wasn’t bringing the right crowd to square one. Maybe they don’t love Walmart but they like the payday.

A few years ago before the new extension opened they started not extending leases to certain stores. Toys toys toys. A few grunge shirt stores. Stores they basically thought wasn’t bringing the right crowd to square one. Maybe they don’t love Walmart but they like the payday.
Yeah that Walmart is far too busy. Relocation is certainly possible though. Would be nice if they could relocate to reduce the footprint of the mall and allow a Kariya Drive extension.

Yeah that Walmart is far too busy. Relocation is certainly possible though. Would be nice if they could relocate to reduce the footprint of the mall and allow a Kariya Drive extension.
I’d like to see an underground parking right into the mall from Robert speck the same way there is an underground parking right into Yorkdale from the Allen expressway. Then you could relocate the bus terminal to hurontario and Robert speck south west intersection. Shrinks the mall footprint. Helps the street grid. Makes more underground parking. Relocates the bus terminal.

Perhaps an appropriate solution to dealing with Walmart would be to build something similar to the urban-format Costco in downtown Vancouver where it essentially takes up the entire podium of a condo development. Might be a good opportunity for one of the parking lots in the Square One District development.

That way it could be removed from the mall itself but also stay on land that Oxford still owns.

View attachment 494631
Walmart stays the same size as is, but moves up one floor higher with a better entrance to mall from City View.

That said, the old Mr Lube is in the process of redevelopment to the point that it may become another delivery dock and storage area.

At the end of the day, I would start building underground parking setup as street with a ramp to it off City View at Sq One Dr in Phases. That ramp to the underground would replace the current delivery one and be expanded for new development on the first Level. Level 2 and 3 would hold all current a future parking of all the new development.

Walmart be relocated along with a number retail to the north-east corner of City View and Sq One Dr with development above them after the 3rd floor of the new mall. Phase 2 would see the removal of the old Walmart as well the delivery tunnel for the 2nd phase of the new wall. This includes the removal of the parking structure and the the road.

There will be no surface roads for cars as they will be using the roads in the underground only. There will be roads on the surface for pedestrian and emergency vehicles with shops on many of them.

Need to have parks, community centre with hockey rinks and so on.

Good site to have the tallest towers in Canada on it since the sky is the limit as how high you want to go there.

Looking at plans for the immediate context of the Walmart, it seems like the fine-grained street network is a named priority, but removing the Walmart and/or driving Kariya Gate north isn't.

From the 2010 Downtown21 Master Plan:

1690253613348.png

From the 2021 Downtown Core Local Area Plan:

1690256825059.png
1690256859256.png

and From the Downtown Movement Plan open house last year:
1690253186935.png

The pedestrian network in this area is pretty bad, considering the amount of foot traffic between Square One and the towers on the east side of Hurontario. Right now the obvious desire line to Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, cut through a steep, eroded slope, the Morguard parking lot, and cross City Centre Drive at a blind, sweeping curve. As it goes through private property the city seems reluctant to put in the infrastructure, although to my eyes it seems like an easy win.

That Walmart is possibly the worst laid out grocery I have ever been in. It seems like it was designed by someone who wants to punish the people using it. That said, I do find myself using it a lot. It is the only walkable grocery in the downtown core. I would prefer having two or three groceries spread out over the core, smaller than the Walmart but larger than the typical Rabba/Paramount/Town & Country. Absent that, I'd prefer that the three-storey garage across from it be redeveloped before the Walmart itself.

Looking at plans for the immediate context of the Walmart, it seems like the fine-grained street network is a named priority, but removing the Walmart and/or driving Kariya Gate north isn't.

View attachment 494750

View attachment 494752View attachment 494753

View attachment 494749

The pedestrian network in this area is pretty bad, considering the amount of foot traffic between Square One and the towers on the east side of Hurontario. Right now the obvious desire line to Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, cut through a steep, eroded slope, the Morguard parking lot, and cross City Centre Drive at a blind, sweeping curve. As it goes through private property the city seems reluctant to put in the infrastructure, although to my eyes it seems like an easy win.

That Walmart is possibly the worst laid out grocery I have ever been in. It seems like it was designed by someone who wants to punish the people using it. That said, I do find myself using it a lot. It is the only walkable grocery in the downtown core. I would prefer having two or three groceries spread out over the core, smaller than the Walmart but larger than the typical Rabba/Paramount/Town & Country. Absent that, I'd prefer that the three-storey garage across from it be redeveloped before the Walmart itself.
Have you been in Walmart lately as you will not recognize it with all the remodeling taking place now those long ramps have been removed?? Expect to see a larger grocery area in the coming months.

Foot traffic for the whole area is the pits for walking with the sea of parking lots.

Downtown 21 had some great ideas, but a failure at the end of the day creating more streets for car lovers.

The last 2 expansions have been a failure with a lot of useless space. In fact you can go back when they can the expansion after OMERS bought the mall who spent a year trying to figure what to do with that expansion by putting cars parking there

View attachment 494750

View attachment 494752View attachment 494753

View attachment 494749

425DFE48-C0CB-4B83-BF23-3E90659FFD48.jpeg

Have you been in Walmart lately as you will not recognize it with all the remodeling taking place now those long ramps have been removed?? Expect to see a larger grocery area in the coming months.

Foot traffic for the whole area is the pits for walking with the sea of parking lots.

Downtown 21 had some great ideas, but a failure at the end of the day creating more streets for car lovers.

The last 2 expansions have been a failure with a lot of useless space. In fact you can go back when they can the expansion after OMERS bought the mall who spent a year trying to figure what to do with that expansion by putting cars parking there
I never find streets a problem if they are on a grid and they aren't too wide. The problem with downtown 21 is that there isn't really a grid and you still have to circle around square one because of its size.

Back