Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Man, that is messy. As the two routes don't overlap in the same direction, through riders will need to transfer at the Rathburn or Burnhamthorpe stops, neither of which are particularly close to Hurontario. I can't believe that there are no stops at Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe!

The transfer will work like this: going Northbound on Hurontario, turn left onto Burnhamthorpe, through the intersection at Kariya Drive, off the LRT at "Main" stop, wait 0-10 minutes, on to second vehicle, back east past Kariya, left onto Burnhamthorpe and then onwards.

Southbound, the Rathburn/terminal stop is the first opportunity to transfer lines.

Presumably they will eventually relent and have every other train run straight through...

I think you have northbound and southbound mixed up. If you just change them, that sounds correct.

It would be both more convenient for passengers and cheaper for them to build a one-directional loop instead. That way all transfers would be same-platform and less construction would be needed.

Hurontario already intersects with transitway.

Most routes serving City Centre Transit Terminal already intersect with Hurontario. Routes 3, 7, 8, 10, 20, 21, 26, 34, 65, 68, 76, 107, 109, 110 all use or cross Hurontario!

So there is little reason to take the LRT out of the Hurontario corridor. The LRT can connect with the transitway and all those buses regardless. To have a diversion on Duke Of York Blvd, away from Hurontario, away from those office buildings (existing and future), is not only pointless, it will hurt the LRT ridership and it will increase costs.

The CCTT was located where it was to connect to the transitway. The LRT won't need that.

At least it still keeps the door open to a "Lakeshore-Brampton Express" through train.

Basically, 3 LRT routes (2 with the Square One loop, and 1 through train). Such a train could run less often, and benefit commuters to Brampton from the Lakeshore area (and stations on opposite sides). Metrolinx might find there's through passenger demand and do this in order to reduce congestion during peak period in the Square One loop, because there would be double the number of trains on the Square One loop due to two routes interspersing. So there could be capacity-relieving pressure to introduce a 3rd Hurontario LRT train number (at least during peak periods) signifying a train that bypasses the Square One loop.

Assuming that transferring between trains at Square One loop takes 15 minutes (accounting for the turn in/out of the loop, and the waiting time between trains), that can represent a substantial time savings for a Lakeshore-Brampton commute even if trains can't each other elsewhere.

Last edited:
So it looks like the provincial budget is dropping on the 23rd of April. Who thinks it will have funding for the HMLRT? I sure do.

So it looks like the provincial budget is dropping on the 23rd of April. Who thinks it will have funding for the HMLRT? I sure do.

Is the budget where this would/should happen? I can see the budget as a place for the government to show how/where the $29B is coming from....but we have to break from this politicizing of transit that happens by politicians telling the folks at ML how and when to spend the money generated.

I just worry that Hamilton and Hurontario are competing for the available funding in the budget.

I think Mississauga and Brampton clearly deserve their LRT project to be funded first, mainly because there is broad support for it from their municipal governments. Hamilton, even when their LRT has been "promised" to be 100% paid for, isn't quite sure if it wants it.

I think Mississauga and Brampton clearly deserve their LRT project to be funded first, mainly because there is broad support for it from their municipal governments. Hamilton, even when their LRT has been "promised" to be 100% paid for, isn't quite sure if it wants it.

Definitely true.

That being said I feel like Hamilton will get more out of their LRT than Mississauga/Brampton would.

Ideally both get funded, they are both needed for their respective region's future.

Minister of Transportation to Make Transit Announcement

Well this should be interesting...

Media Advisory
Minister of Transportation to Make Transit Announcement
April 20, 2015 2:30 P.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, will be joined by Charles Sousa, Minister of Finance and MPP for Mississauga South, Dipika Damerla, MPP for Mississauga East-Cooksville, and Amrit Mangat, MPP for Mississauga-Brampton South, to make an important transit announcement. They will be joined by Bonnie Crombie, Mayor of Mississauga, Linda Jeffrey, Mayor of Brampton, and Bruce McCuaig, President and CEO of Metrolinx.

Date: Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Time: 9 a.m.
Upper Level, beside the customer service counter inside the terminal
200 Rathburn Rd. West
Mississauga

Source.

Back