Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Someone needs to find a photo of said Interurban running down Main Street in front of some of the historic buildings

There was an interurban at one time operating through what is now the City of Brampton (the Toronto Suburban Railway's Guelph Line, which stopped at Churchville, Eldorado Park, and Huttonville), but none was built into the town centre. Somehow, the TSR managed to avoid both the village of Streetsville and the town of Brampton.

There were proposals to operate an interurban into Brampton, even up Hurontario Street to Orangeville, but they never got past the promotion stage.

There was an interurban at one time operating through what is now the City of Brampton (the Toronto Suburban Railway's Guelph Line, which stopped at Churchville, Eldorado Park, and Huttonville), but none was built into the town centre. Somehow, the TSR managed to avoid both the village of Streetsville and the town of Brampton.

There were proposals to operate an interurban into Brampton, even up Hurontario Street to Orangeville, but they never got past the promotion stage.

The Brampton Historical Society conspiracy goes deeper than I thought possible!

It's too bad these trams spoils historic Zurich.

120382283-zurich-central-station-gettyimages.jpg

3-tram.jpg

Zurich1.jpg

The Brampton Historical Society conspiracy goes deeper than I thought possible!

In the 1910s and 1920s, Brampton had at least a dozen steam passenger trains to Toronto on the GTR/CN and CP lines. The GTR/CN line would have got you to downtown Toronto in an hour or less, even back then. It might have been the fact that Brampton (and Streetsville) were important railway junctions so interurbans would have trouble competing.

The City of Mississauga had a LRT "Education Session" on March 4th. There is not too much that is new, but its a good overview of the LRT plan. It also mentions the preferred service plan. It looks like trains will run from Port Credit to Square One, then loop back. Same thing from Brampton to SQ One.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjsfJkS6MY&feature=youtu.be
Here are the presentation slides: http://lrt-mississauga.brampton.ca/EN/About-LRT/Documents/HMLRT Workshop 4.3.15 FINAL.pdf

I really hope that there is funding for this project in the 2015 spring provincial budget. Also, with the federal election coming up, hopefully some cash gets thrown at riding-rich Mississauga.

Last edited:
It looks like trains will run from Port Credit to Square One, then loop back. Same thing from Brampton to SQ One.

Utterly bizarre. In what world does that make any sense? Even when you have a strong downtown, there's value in through-running of services. But in this case there isn't even that.

Utterly bizarre. In what world does that make any sense? Even when you have a strong downtown, there's value in through-running of services. But in this case there isn't even that.

this has been the case for a while now in the planning of this route....all brought about by the desire to have the trains serve the SQ1/MCC loop.

It been an issue with me from day one that this loop and split line defeat the logic of having the line in the first place as it will not get riders where they want to go faster than today.

The 19's waste 15 minutes going in/out of Sq One Terminal today and the LRT will do the same thing when the 103 takes a few minutes to bypass it in the first place.

The City has their eyes so far up their ass, thinking this will built the so call downtown that doesn't exist today or will in 50 years.

You got 2 development in the work for the Eglinton intersection area that will support 3,000 new riders who want to use the Cooksville GO station, using an LRT that supposed to get them there faster than today, but it will be longer. They will drive there than do the 2 lines transfer and waste over 30 minutes of travel time.

I support a straight LRT line only with a new transit Hub where the plaza is and not alone on this with various city staff supporting my idea in the first place. They toe the city line in opposing the loop as their job is more important to them at the end of the day.

A fair number of stops locations make no sense since no one works or lives on Hurontario in the 500m radius to support the line in the first place. Most riders will come 800+m off line to those stations in the first place as it stands today.

North of Sq One has less riders than the south to the point the 2 lines will have different headways adding more travel time.

All the planners outside of Ontario say the loop makes no sense to them in the first place.

It the car thinking folks on council driving this loop.

There is no business case to support the loop in the first place with riders have a fair number of bus routes to get to the terminal cheaper and quicker than an LRT.

Last edited:
That Square One loop would not take 15 minutes, if the dwell time is set just for exchange of passengers. If they do have a dwell time of four or five minutes, yes it would take extra time. A two line system would be fine, with maybe a tripper added that may bypass Square One during the rush hours (with stops on the Hurontario side of the loop only being served).

p948006988.jpg

Attachments

• p948006988.jpg
    p948006988.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 1,194
That Square One loop would not take 15 minutes, if the dwell time is set just for exchange of passengers. If they do have a dwell time of four or five minutes, yes it would take extra time. A two line system would be fine, with maybe a tripper added that may bypass Square One during the rush hours (with stops on the Hurontario side of the loop only being served).

I think the 2-line loop system will help distribute the transfers a bit, instead of concentrating all of them in one spot.

Untitled.png

If you need to continue north along Hurontario, it may be best to transfer at Rathburn. If you need to continue south along Hurontario, it may be best to transfer at Burnhamthorpe. To connect to/from a connecting bus, the city centre terminal is the default transfer spot, but depending on your origin/destination using one of the other 5 stops may work better.

Overall I agree it's too complex and adds trip time, but distributing where regular/familiar system users transfer might be beneficial.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11 KB · Views: 916

It could easily take 15 minutes. By the time you change trains and deal with what is likely very slow speeds in that loop and two more stops (in addition to the one where you change trains) and the turn back onto Hurontario. All of that has to add 10 - 15 minutes to what was supposed to be (in the early days of planning) a straight up H/M route.

View attachment 42918

If you need to continue north along Hurontario, it may be best to transfer at Rathburn. If you need to continue south along Hurontario, it may be best to transfer at Burnhamthorpe. To connect to/from a connecting bus, the city centre terminal is the default transfer spot, but depending on your origin/destination using one of the other 5 stops may work better.

Overall I agree it's too complex and adds trip time, but distributing where regular/familiar system users transfer might be beneficial.

If council really really wants a loop, why not just add a train that goes all the way north-south to the proposed loop-back plan? Essentially you would end up with 3 interlining routes, which is not ideal but at least there is a full north-south run.

The only way this isn't a complete fail is if there is a cross-platform transfer to get from one train to the other, i.e. a 1 minute transfer. Otherwise this is a system that has no value for shorter trips that traverse the central portion. In a corridor route like this one, those should be substantial.

The only way this isn't a complete fail is if there is a cross-platform transfer to get from one train to the other, i.e. a 1 minute transfer. Otherwise this is a system that has no value for shorter trips that traverse the central portion. In a corridor route like this one, those should be substantial.

Looking at the EPR design plates, it doesn't look like transfers will be this easy. They may need an addendum. They actually don't even have 5 stops as illustrated in that corridor concept.

I'm working on some illustrations.

Man, that is messy. As the two routes don't overlap in the same direction, through riders will need to transfer at the Rathburn or Burnhamthorpe stops, neither of which are particularly close to Hurontario. I can't believe that there are no stops at Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe!

The transfer will work like this: going Northbound on Hurontario, turn left onto Burnhamthorpe, through the intersection at Kariya Drive, off the LRT at "Main" stop, wait 0-10 minutes, on to second vehicle, back east past Kariya, left onto Burnhamthorpe and then onwards.

Southbound, the Rathburn/terminal stop is the first opportunity to transfer lines.

Presumably they will eventually relent and have every other train run straight through...

Back