Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Federal rumoured to contribute up to 1 billion/ year for big cities transit projects, but I guess the Hurontario will be only funded by province.
I'd assume a share by Mississauga and Brampton as well. If federal funding was part of it, there'd be federal MPs and likely a minister there as well. Kind of odd, given the Feds have had no problems ponying up money for the Sheppard LRT in Toronto, the Scarborough Subway Extension, the Vaughan subway extension, the Waterloo LRT, and the Ottawa LRT. I'd have thought in an election year, they'd have made sure they were part of an announcement.

I'd assume a share by Mississauga and Brampton as well.

Any idea how you go about apportioning the municipal share in a project like this? That is assuming there is one......Brampton has said they were willing to put "skin in the game" but I think Mississauga has been looking for it to be fully funded without them contributing.

Tomorrow's Annoucement

Two things to watch for in this announcement:

1. When would construction actually start? If it's close to the 2018 provincial election, could another government (IE the PCs) cancel it (IE Eglinton West subway style)? Are all the studies and design work done or just the studies?
2. Will it include the Shopper's World to/from Brampton GO Station?

Two things to watch for in this announcement:

1. When would construction actually start? If it's close to the 2018 provincial election, could another government (IE the PCs) cancel it (IE Eglinton West subway style)? Are all the studies and design work done or just the studies?
2. Will it include the Shopper's World to/from Brampton GO Station?

wouldn't 3 be....who's paying for it?

Any idea how you go about apportioning the municipal share in a project like this?
At a minimum, I'd expect Mississauga and Brampton to pick up most of the operating costs, proportional to ridership.

If there was a capital share, again, I'd do it by distance, like it was between Toronto and Region of York for the Line 1 extension to Vaughan.

At a minimum, I'd expect Mississauga and Brampton to pick up most of the operating costs, proportional to ridership.

If there was a capital share, again, I'd do it by distance, like it was between Toronto and Region of York for the Line 1 extension to Vaughan.

shouldn't the op costs be proportional to distance too?

I don't get the likes of Ottawa and Kitchener had to pitch in 30% or more for their LRT projects but Mississauga and Hamilton seem to think that somebody else should pay for everything?

I'd assume a share by Mississauga and Brampton as well. If federal funding was part of it, there'd be federal MPs and likely a minister there as well. Kind of odd, given the Feds have had no problems ponying up money for the Sheppard LRT in Toronto, the Scarborough Subway Extension, the Vaughan subway extension, the Waterloo LRT, and the Ottawa LRT. I'd have thought in an election year, they'd have made sure they were part of an announcement.

I guess that only happens if your pals with the mayor (and he is not yet mired in drugs/gangs scandal) and get to stick it to Wynne at the same time?

It is actually mildly surprising, given that allegedly the feds will have transit funding in their upcoming budget. On the one hand, what could be a better launch than showing up in a 905 district, cash in hand? On the other hand, they don't want to partner with the Ontario Liberals and the less-than-$1B they're offering for the whole country wouldn't go so far if they committed it to a single project right off the bat.

Strong hints of Hurontario being a green light.

Not surprising -- Hurontario is a shoo-in with the new GO RER plans.

Hopefully they solve the corridor problem between Brampton-Bramalea to electricify one stop to Brampton GO-Hurontario interchange. But a far easier problem to solve than the Milton corridor challenge. Then Hurontario links two all-day 15-minute RER stations as endpoints! Even useful to get to Pearson airport too, once the Woodbine Racetrack station is eventually built on the Kitchener corridor to interchange with the UPX spur. All that said, Hurontario LRT just became massively more useful with the RER plans. To the point that Ontario may be willing to finance it full, in exchange for a quid pro quo (e.g. Mississauga pays full operating costs, or a cheap loan to Mississauga to help it pay for LRT, etc).

Hope Hamilton LRT isn't neglected too long (hint, hint).

Last edited:
I don't get the likes of Ottawa and Kitchener had to pitch in 30% or more for their LRT projects but Mississauga and Hamilton seem to think that somebody else should pay for everything?

Consider that its a project in The Big Move, and through the Investment Strategy, it was supposed to be 100% funded by the province. The deal changed, and if I were a mayor of a municipality, I'd be livid.

Strong hints of Hurontario being a green light.

Not surprising -- Hurontario is a shoo-in with the new GO RER plans.

Hopefully they solve the corridor problem between Brampton-Bramalea to electricify one stop to Brampton GO-Hurontario interchange. But a far easier problem to solve than the Milton corridor challenge. Then Hurontario links two all-day 15-minute RER stations as endpoints! Even useful to get to Pearson airport too, once the Woodbine Racetrack station is eventually built on the Kitchener corridor to interchange with the UPX spur. All that said, Hurontario LRT just became massively more useful with the RER plans. To the point that Ontario may be willing to finance it full, in exchange for a quid pro quo (e.g. Mississauga pays full operating costs, or a cheap loan to Mississauga to help it pay for LRT, etc).

Hope Hamilton LRT isn't neglected too long (hint, hint).

Yup. I'd expect the HMLRT to move quickly into the RFQ and RFP process after funding is announced, then into construction sometime in 2016. I expect it to be the full route because of RER and because of Linda Jeffrey being supportive of a downtown Brampton Route. This LRT crosses many constituencies and could help buy Liberal votes in 2018, thus it will be rushed along. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Metrolinx allocate the 40 Bombardier Flexity Freedoms from the Scarborough LRT to this project.

I would be surprised to see Mississauga pay capital costs, as Crombie made it clear "Mississauga has no money". Making Brampton pay if Mississauga isn't is simply unfair. Linda Jeffrey said that "Brampton needs to put some skin in the game", I don't think it will be for the first phase. Brampton needs rapid transit north of Brampton GO also, so maybe it would kick in for a second phase of LRT north on Hurontario.

Back