Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Many regional rail routes operate with three and five car EMU and DMUs. I'm sure that we could handle the costs of a cross-province regional train network if we could use the lighter vehicles the European networks use, instead of the ten carriage double-deck trains that seem to be GO's desired standard.
http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/vehicles/gtw/

GO's current "standard" is 12 car double decked trains.....where platforms can only accommodate 10 car trains...they are being worked on and extended.

Why not just extend the Cooksville GO platform a little further east (like over Hurontario) and have a direct stairway to an LRT platform?

Side thought - has anyone considered making this line a left-hand-loading LRT with center of track stops, making the platform area a little bigger and nicer than can be built with traditional right hand loading?

- Paul

Why not just extend the Cooksville GO platform a little further east (like over Hurontario) and have a direct stairway to an LRT platform?

Side thought - has anyone considered making this line a left-hand-loading LRT with center of track stops, making the platform area a little bigger and nicer than can be built with traditional right hand loading?

- Paul

If you look at the Metrolinx Cooksville Mobility Hub Study (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/mobilityhubs/mobility_hubs_cooksville.aspx), the illustration on page 51 shows all of these things.

What's the holdup on this anyways, we already have vehicles ordered....Ontario needs to pull the trigger on this before we get too close to the election and Crombie decides she wants a subway as well...

Honestly there is enough design done on this to announce the funding and start some of the construction - get the barn and the southern end of it started

What's the holdup on this anyways, we already have vehicles ordered....Ontario needs to pull the trigger on this before we get too close to the election and Crombie decides she wants a subway as well...

Honestly there is enough design done on this to announce the funding and start some of the construction - get the barn and the southern end of it started

Rumours are flying that there will be a provincial funding announcement this spring. Project could really start moving after that happens.

You will have to wait tell the Province Budget is release in the next few months, as that is when Metrolinx will know how much money they will have for this project and others to spend for the 2015-16 time frame as well plan for the other years to complete them. Construction will start in 2016/17 in vary phases as well the yard and to be completed by 2020/21 as a P3.

There are no vehicles order for this line at this time, but some of the cancel Toronto cars may go here depending who wins the P3. The P3 will have an operator to run the line since this is a way to get around the issue of which union will run the system in the first place. Mississauga Director of Transit comes from the TTC Subway side and understand the LRT side, where Brampton Director only know buses.

We should also hear about the EA for the Milton Line 4 track corridor that is supposed to be completed by 2021 with a flyunder at the Humber River.

Crombie see no subways in Mississauga in her lifetime and it there was to be one, it would be on Dundas from Kipling. Dundas will see a BRT in place of the plan LRT since there is no ridership west of Hurontario to support an LRT in Mississauga in the first place and forget Halton. Halton is going to have a hard time supporting a BRT on Dundas by 2040.

Once the word is release on funding for the LRT, expect to see a number of development surface for the Cooksville Hub as they are waiting in the wing at this time.

My hometown finally has a smart Mayor. Those route alternatives are brutal.

"Brampton mayor supports downtown LRT route"
http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...ampton-mayor-supports-downtown-lrt-route.html

So the best argument people could come up with for not running the LRT straight up Main Street to the GO station is that the LRT shouldn't run past the rich people, it should go past the poorer people. If I was one of the "poorer" people who lived along one of the alternative routes I'd be livid if my elected representatives supported spending hundred of millions of dollars extra because of a blatantly NIMBY argument like that.

Heritage isn't about keeping everything the same. They are not going to be turning Main Street into a "Heritage Village" like Black Creek village. Heritage is about respecting the past while using it as a platform for moving forward.

Last edited:
The guy from the Heritage Board was whining that a modern LRT is incompatable with the heritage character of Main Street. Unlike the buses, trucks (tractor-trailers are banned), speeding SUVs and loud motorcycles, I guess. It then said that he himself owned one of those old houses on Main Street. Somehow, I think that's the reason for the sound and fury.

The Hurontario-Main project group even provided an important concession - off-wire technology that's possible for short stretches of tram/LRT lines and the obstructionist NIMBYs couldn't be pacified. Would replica Birney cars like those used in some US heritage streetcar lines suffice? Should pedestrians be required to wear period costume to walk down Main Street? Shouldn't motor vehicles be banned altogether on Main?

These NIMBYs are reaching deep into the horseshit with their excuses.

I have no great love of this project....but the heritage argument just doesn't fly...even with me.

Every time I hear heritage area as an opposition to LRT I just think (and say) Dublin! If modern LRT can work there without affecting/disrupting/impacting that city's heritage then I guess it can work anywhere in the same way. Of course, very little of Dublin's heritage is based on semi-circular driveways for cars that need to make left or right turns onto a main street at will.

The guy from the Heritage Board was whining that a modern LRT is incompatable with the heritage character of Main Street. Unlike the buses, trucks (tractor-trailers are banned), speeding SUVs and loud motorcycles, I guess. It then said that he himself owned one of those old houses on Main Street. Somehow, I think that's the reason for the sound and fury.

The Hurontario-Main project group even provided an important concession - off-wire technology that's possible for short stretches of tram/LRT lines and the obstructionist NIMBYs couldn't be pacified. Would replica Birney cars like those used in some US heritage streetcar lines suffice? Should pedestrians be required to wear period costume to walk down Main Street? Shouldn't motor vehicles be banned altogether on Main?

These NIMBYs are reaching deep into the horseshit with their excuses.

The LRT line will end just before the "heritage district" and passengers will transfer to horse cars to pass through.

If LRTs somehow disrupt the heritage character, then so does every other modern vehicle that drives down Main Street. I don't understand that argument at all.

In Europe, I've seen many LRTs running down streets with tons of heritage buildings, and it doesn't seem to detract from the areas at all.

Laughing at them is clearly the only appropriate response. Just because there are historic buildings doesn't make it a pioneer village. It's the historic core of a municipality of over 500,000 people!

Back