Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

Hahaha as usual, you'll dig any of my old posts in order to bury me......:D:rolleyes:

Old posts? You made that statement only 2 months ago, praising this development and giving people shit for criticizing it. Now you've moved on to incorrectly blaming the planning department for messing this up. AoD was right to call you out on this.

Yeah, this is all the rogue, practically unaccountable Ex Place Board's fault. Planning, even Council, has little influence regarding development on the site. Council could and should rewrite the rules for Exhibition Place, but that'll be difficult, and they haven't felt compelled enough yet. This building makes me want public flogging to be written into a new constitution for the Board as a remedy for when they screw up so badly—but here's my turn to go cynical—just watch, nothing will happen here.

This is not a case of a building not being built according to "what was promised in the application" or something that was cheapened after the fact. This is just bad design and it was bad design when approved and when the fancy renderings were provided. The Design Review Panel probably would have helped but I suspect that this did not fall under their jurisdiction and they were not given the chance to send the architect back to the drawing board.

The tower would not be so bad if it wasn't sitting on a massive bunker of exposed blank walls. Yes, they will be able to plant a few trees to hopefully cover this sucker up (see the carefully drawn renders) but the trees will take decades to grow (if they are planted at all) and will do little in the fall and winter.

This is shame. Blame the architects and blame the CNE board for allowing it.

Had Rob Ford shown up, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. The Board simply has no real concern for architecture.

It shows an incredibly insensitive face to the Stanley Barracks, and should lead to some incredibly insensitive faces being shown to Exhibition Place Board members at the next public meeting. People should be fired over this.

Mark Grimes, Chair of Exhibition Place's Board needs to go. Other councillors include Jimmy K and Mammo (and Justin Di Ciano and Mike Layton); Mammo and Grimey are also tight with the owner of Muzik.

Had Rob Ford shown up, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. The Board simply has no real concern for architecture.

The city council in general has none either - and the board is a mere extension of that. A more enlightened civic leadership would have put that front and centre, instead of giving us this atrocity and the Biosteel Centre ("designed" by the firm behind the notorious 10 Dundas)

Let's face it, the city has absolutely no clue what they wanted out of the Ex, other than minimizing the cost and maximizing revenues.

AoD

Back