Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

These posts all remind me of something, not quite sure what, like there's an asterisk of some sort appended to each one.

Well, however dogmatic we may be that higher standards should have been applied to this gross obelisk of a building, in this case the die is cast and we are stuck with what we've got. It's vital, however, that this building just become a statistic of a poor judgement, and that the Board doesn't plunge headlong into another fully-automatic approval of some godawful aboveground parking garage on the site too. Exhibition Place is becoming such a cacophony of dissonant architecture that I feel there's no happy banquet on its way to celebrate the end of this story.

XLII
Gross or gros Obelix(sk) of a building? :)

This building is surprisingly brutal to the point of blending in.

March 12:
More up on site
25146805074_47a953a25b_b.jpg

25146803344_0531c3d02b_b.jpg

25777252055_4e3ec6e3fb_b.jpg

25682174741_f1579f910d_b.jpg

25150590833_5deaa181b5_b.jpg

25777236395_7fd0d13acf_b.jpg

25656233362_8957f3de35_b.jpg

25150571523_b6a4a344d4_b.jpg

25777182865_9880403e18_b.jpg

25751101526_98779c046b_b.jpg

My god! Despite everything that's been written about this building, words can just not express the ghastliness of those towering precast concrete walls. This really does look like something that would have been built in the late-1960s, when the waterfront was still mostly abandoned industrial wasteland. The irony is that the Exhibition Grounds escaped the 1960s and '70s without a building like this.

Perhaps the garden portion will soften this up visually? I hope the gardens will have larger trees and have an area to be in the shade. Is there going to be a water feature on this site?

Perhaps the garden portion will soften this up visually? I hope the gardens will have larger trees and have an area to be in the shade. Is there going to be a water feature on this site?
Photos 6 & 7 show a walkway over a pond/water area.

Don't expect to see tall trees when they show up.

The giant block of grey concrete is such a lost opportunity. The government subsidy for this project would be better spent re-educating our architects

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 712
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    780.2 KB · Views: 650
Last edited by a moderator:
The fault here lies with the Exhibition Place Board who should never have let a developer get away with a proposal that was driven by nothing other than building in the cheapest way possible. Not that I think that Stephen B. Jacobs Group and NORR Limited should be exonerated, but when you have that kind of directive from the developer and no pushback from the public body that runs the City facility, you blame the developer and the week-kneed or blind agency. They had to be one or the other.

Right now they had better be out there shopping for a lot of vine.

Looks like the trees are in. I don't think they're going to soften things much in the short-term, but hopefully that big pergola will distract some of the attention

The fault here lies with the Exhibition Place Board who should never have let a developer get away with a proposal that was driven by nothing other than building in the cheapest way possible. Not that I think that Stephen B. Jacobs Group and NORR Limited should be exonerated, but when you have that kind of directive from the developer and no pushback from the public body that runs the City facility, you blame the developer and the week-kneed or blind agency. They had to be one or the other.

Right now they had better be out there shopping for a lot of vine.

Does the fort still got any cannons?

AoD

This building is just all kinds of awful dreck. It really pisses me off every time I drive by from any vantage.

What grates on me the most is that, because of its location, this building and the terrible environment around it are going to be the only things that lots of people see of Toronto. They'll fly into Billy Bishop or Pearson for a conference or event, stay at that God awful hotel, not leave because it's not connected to rapid transit and you can't safely walk around anywhere near the building (and there's nothing to see or visit), and then they'll head back to the airport and leave. It could be a suburban Dallas convention centre complex.

Back