Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

At least this building is staying true to its renderings so far. For what that's worth.

The top part seems interesting in the renderings but don't think it will be enough to save this design.

I wonder how this will affect the Honda Indy, they're taking up space used previously as both grandstand seating, pit crew and working grounds for the racing teams.
There are now tree gardens and sidewalks where the pit lane and grandstand have been for all previous races.
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2016/0...g-roundup-catching-up-with-whats-goin-on.html
That hotel they’re building at Exhibition Place is finally having an effect on the Honda Indy race course. What has been essentially the same circuit since 1986 will undergo a change in 2016. A small change, but a change nonetheless.
http://www.racer.com/robin-miller-s-mailbag-for-january-20-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd
planning has been in the works for four years now with the rollout of the design and ticket launch set for February 8th

Zoomed in from Kensington:
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 1,189
Yesterday:
IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,061
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    943.8 KB · Views: 912
  • IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 919
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 941
Excuse me while I swab Drano onto my eyeballs. I wasn't expecting such a monolithic, largely windowless podium.

BMO Field is looking beautiful though!

It shows an incredibly insensitive face to the Stanley Barracks, and should lead to some incredibly insensitive faces being shown to Exhibition Place Board members at the next public meeting. People should be fired over this.

It shows an incredibly insensitive face to the Stanley Barracks, and should lead to some incredibly insensitive faces being shown to Exhibition Place Board members at the next public meeting. People should be fired over this.

Much more graceful than my outburst above

The urban design of this failed development looks like something that came out of downtown Atlanta. This thing is second only to Westin Harbourfront Castle on the list of terrible buildings that must be obliterated as soon as possible. But unlike the latter, Hotel X is brand new and will live on for many decades before anything happens to it.

Last edited:
This is much worse than I expected. And I was expecting a disaster. It's been said before: the exhibition grounds should be a showcase of high quality architecture from various eras. It pains me that this is now the most conspicuous building at the ex.

You have no one to blame but city planning, for all the shit going down

What does city planning got to do with it? Don't blame the DRP for the proponent's inability to deliver. The fact of the matter is - the Ex board has no vision and certainly no sense of good taste - every it touches turns into shit in a perverse reverse Midas touch. And I quote:

Yes it could've been better, but give me this building anytime, the planned LED lighting will be a pleasing surprise:cool:
Ill bet when all said and done, this complex will 'be the talk of town'...yeah, many of you will be eating your words on this one

Look at the big picture my friends, and stop acting silly comparing this to a prison or student housing

I can't wait to eat my words.

AoD

Last edited:

Back