Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

I agree. That roof is weird-looking and unnecessary. It seems like these days unusual roof structures are a way to make up for generic design. Rather unfortunate, but there you have it.

The roof is wierd looking,but it sure beats the ugly mechanical room box build on the roof top of Cityplace Montage.

I'm not in favour of the "hat". If a builder can afford to add one, then they can probably afford to hide those mechanicals with some glassy walls. LED lighting is entirely optional...

Last edited:
This render look slightly better, that the first one, but still ugly. The really sad part of this building is that there wont be any street level retail. What a waste. :(

OPA / Rezoning Application Submitted

I thought this went through and got approvel from OMB already? another application?? :confused:

TTC subway connection is good to hear, and there are some grade level retail ~

5170 YONGE ST

Application #: 08 213938 NNY 23

Description: Proposal for 2, 42-storey residential condominium buildings joined by a podium and retail at grade. An underground TTC connection is also proposed.

Non-Residential GFA: 1,974.40 sq.m. (maybe retail?)
Total GFA: 93,721.96 sq.m.
Proposed: 937 residential units

Of course they have retail ... they better.

They're replacing a large block of land that already has retail on it.

^only if you're into grand theft auto

Last edited:
^only if your into grand theft auto

Nope ... aren't they 2 / 3 restaurants on that plot as well. The auto site is even further North. I think they're taking the restaurants down as well.

Actually maybe I'm wrong:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&where1=5170 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M2N&encType=1

This project only get's rid of the parking lot right?

Why was the McDonalds at this site closed down for such a long time without going back to the market *to be leased* ... is there another development for that plot of land?

Last edited:
I thought this went through and got approvel from OMB already? another application?? :confused:

TTC subway connection is good to hear, and there are some grade level retail ~

5170 YONGE ST

Application #: 08 213938 NNY 23

Description: Proposal for 2, 42-storey residential condominium buildings joined by a podium and retail at grade. An underground TTC connection is also proposed.

Non-Residential GFA: 1,974.40 sq.m. (maybe retail?)
Total GFA: 93,721.96 sq.m.
Proposed: 937 residential units

Did the city force them them to add retail or did the OMB? Either way, it's good news. I wonder if they have some sort of agreement with the civic centre office complex to build a TTC connection because it'll probably require a tunnel through their basement.

Of course they have retail ... they better.

They're replacing a large block of land that already has retail on it.

They're just replacing the parking lot...and the park, of course.

Nope ... aren't they 2 / 3 restaurants on that plot as well. The auto site is even further North. I think they're taking the restaurants down as well.

Actually maybe I'm wrong:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&where1=5170 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M2N&encType=1

This project only get's rid of the parking lot right?

Why was the McDonalds at this site closed down for such a long time without going back to the market *to be leased* ... is there another development for that plot of land?

Check post #75.

For other projects as well, prices generally increase from their first release to VIP agents but is it possible that the prices will fall back to that price or even lower than what was offered to the VIP agents due to slowdown in sales?

City Planning Preliminary Report

To be considered by North York Community Council on January 13 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-17804.pdf

In essence, this rezoning application is submitted only to rubber stamp and legalize the ZBL such that it follows the Official Plan Amendment which was approved earlier by the OMB.

Proposal Summary:
  • two 42s towers (on 5s podium), 125 metres
  • 937 residential units (including 12 live-work towns)
  • 1,466.6 square metres of retail in podium
  • underground subway connection south to Novotel

The historic Gibson House is going to be so dwarfed by these new condos (if + when built)

Gibson_sp.jpg

Gibson_south.jpg

Gibson_east.jpg

according to the City report, Architect is now Rafael + Bigauskas :)

Ooo ... and for those interested in this building, Menkes is using their sales office for Savvy Condos at 34 Glendora Avenue (SE of Yonge+Sheppard) as their interim presentation centre, now open to public

Ick.

To avoid having the Gibson House dwarfed by these behemoths, why don't we put it on top of one of them? Hasn't anyone thought of that yet?

Back