Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

The preview prices for Gibson Square are out now. Cost per sq. foot varies from approximately $476 to $518.

Exhorborant cost, poor interior design, crappy linear kitchens, and echoes of 'ick, eww, ugh' for ugly exterior design - for these reasons I hope this project fails too.

There's more to "ick" than the exterior design. Gibson Square molests its namesake House and park, trounces all over the rose garden, and squats on a prime office site. The new retail (forced by the OMB or the city?) on the Yonge frontage raises the complex from an F- to just an F, though.

I have to agree with all the comments previously stated, especially Scarb's hilarious re-assessment of it's "F" status to, well, "F". Very Shanghai-esque in the worst sense of that word, the wrong buildings in the wrong place with the wrong design -- fortunately though, very likely to be at the wrong time.

There are so many eerie current parellels to earlier slumps that I think the development stars are aligned to tell us something. Will Toronto have two or four unbuilt Gibson Squares. 2009 will tell the tale.

Note that it went from an F- (or even a G+, if it's mostly 1 bedroom units) to a regular F. Hopefully, competition from Hullmark and Bazis and a few others, combined with potentially hundreds of unsold/recently built and flippable units in the area, will kill this project.

I concur. A better plan would be to remove the ugly parking lot and neighbouring restaurant strip and build a tall office building with street retail. There is so much space there to demolish just north of the park, I can't believe they had to remove a part of the park for this development just so they can have the corner. Blasphemy!

Let the park stay as is. It's a refreshing break of greenery from the grey condonotony*. I hope it gets cancelled as well, but I think because it is a large developer with deep pockets, it will get built, sooner or later, since approvals are in place already. :(

*(new word I concocted)

according to the City report, Architect is now Rafael + Bigauskas :)

Ooo ... and for those interested in this building, Menkes is using their sales office for Savvy Condos at 34 Glendora Avenue (SE of Yonge+Sheppard) as their interim presentation centre, now open to public

Do they have their own sales office yet? or are they still sharing office with the Savvy project?

Does anybody know if this project(Gibson Square Towers) is canceled or went off out of business? because there is has been a long time ago when sales office went for marketing of this project.

July 30th, 2009

Gibson Square Parking Lot:

IMG_0693.jpg

Does anybody know if this project(Gibson Square Towers) is canceled or went off out of business? because there is has been a long time ago when sales office went for marketing of this project.

considering Gibson Square launched "Agent Preview" in October 2008 just as the market collapsed ... they did pretty well sales progress wise .... and for project to be in marketing/sales for 10 months is hardly considered "a long time" ... I have faith in Gibson Square and Menkes (though I don't like the concept) and believe it will be built in time, this builder is not in the business of cancelling projects nor have a track record of doing so ~ :)

Back